Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas for speakers for guild meetings >

Ideas for speakers for guild meetings

Ideas for speakers for guild meetings

Old 04-30-2024, 05:37 AM

Default Ideas for speakers for guild meetings

In a moment of weakness, I agreed to be VP of Programs (for the 2nd time!)

Our group seems to prefer to sit and watch someone basically do a trunk show (to the tune of $300 or more!) rather than interactive programs such as sit and stitch, or things like paper bag swaps etc.

I have spent the past 2 hours searching on Google, and have not really found any speakers... throw them out there! I need HELP!
Old 04-30-2024, 06:10 AM

It is harder to find speakers than people think... maybe ask your membership if they know of someone. Maybe they were accepted at Paducah or other large show. Or, you never know -- one of my husband's coworkers had a wife who designed for Laurel Burch, they were talking and my husband mentioned my quilting hobby. Now hubby can recognize Laurel Burch designs

Maybe have a quilt judge or appraiser come in for a talk on what they look for? There are other sources but here is a link the tyhe AQS appraisers:
https://www.americanquilter.com/appraisers-list

Some of the manufacturers have reps that tour and give presentations for various price points. Mostly for that sort of thing you have to establish a contact and hope someone gets back to you and that someone will be in the general area. Here's an example from Hobbs -- 90 minutes probably too long for a guild meeting but for a special program if there is enough interest it could be fun.
https://www.hobbsbatting.com/resourc...ilting-events/

Old 04-30-2024, 06:22 AM

Thank you! The last gal has limited information in the binder. I was asked to step down in 2019 because "the board doesn't feel you are getting enough speakers" They didn't like my programs lol. I think sit and sews are a great way to get to know our members. It's frustrating to see members arrive, chat until the business meeting, get a snack, some (not many) show and tell their projects, we have a program, draw our door prize (you need to buy tickets as a way of raising funds) and whoosh... there they go! (and it's barely 1pm on a Saturday afternoon -- we only meet one Saturday a month)
Old 04-30-2024, 06:35 AM

Conquering Mt Scrapmore with Brenda offers a free zoom presentation to guilds, we had her this year, and she inspired lots of scrap projects.

https://www.youtube.com/@conqueringm...i2509/featured
Old 04-30-2024, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

I've been program chairman four times. I found museums have speakers that will love to come speak about textiles they they have in the museum. Local repair shop guy will talk about machine maintenance, physical therapist will demonstrate the correct way to sit to sew and proper table height for cutting along with exercises to help. My guild is having a hard time getting the members to accept zoom. There are so many wonderful quilters that do zoom programs and the cost is much lower. We have a lot of meet the member programs where a member will show her quilts and talk about her quilt journey. Without
the co operation of members it is stressful. You can't please everyone! Remember it is volunteer and if you get critical feedback then let the critics have it. Any position I have in my guild I always say I have a policy that if you have a problem about something I do or don't do then have a workable solution when you bring up the problem. I'm always open to new ideas.
Old 04-30-2024, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

I don't know why some guild members come to meetings. They sit there, never help with any fundraising, or bring show and tell, volunteer for anything, and don't participate in classes, swaps, challenges, or demos. Yet expect to be entertained for a couple of hours without contributing anything. Do you like watching an interview when the person answers only yes or no, not contributing anything else to the conversation? The interviewer has to keep trying to get a response. That is how a non contributing guild member seems to me.
Old 04-30-2024, 10:28 AM

2 or 3 times a year our guild has speakers from other areas of the country and sometimes from other countries, via Zoom. If you google quilt book authors you'll find names of authors. Then google those names for their website and check their website to see if they do zoom meetings. Many do as a result of the pandemic. You would need to have a laptop with zoom installed, wifi internet connection and a projector and screen to project the presentation on. It is still very popular with our guild members.
Old 04-30-2024, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

Many of the speakers don't travel anymore but that fact isn't getting through to some guild members so they complain and reject Zoom programs and classes. The new members joining are using internet and think it's silly not to have Zoom programs and classes. My guild has wonderful members but you need thick skin to hold a guild position.
Old 04-30-2024, 11:48 AM

Onebyone... such great input! You hit it on the head about non-participation. We do require committee participation (and many are very simple participation) and contributing a quilt to be donated to a kids organization.

I am going to be broaching the subject of zoom presentations. Google searches have not yielded many teachers or speakers these days, plus, my annual budget is $2000 which I personally think is high, given the fact that at least several times a year (we have monthly meetings) the fact that we have XXXX in the bank that we are unable to touch if we don't want to pay bank fees, and that unless we fundraise in some fashion, we will be "broke" in several years. We are currently having members who choose, donate handmade items to a local shop where tourists come to visit. Other guilds have apparently raised a reasonable sum of money with small items, which is what we are doing. I am just sitting back and watching. I have enough on my plate without making items that may or may not sell.
Old 04-30-2024, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by scrappingfaye58 View Post
my annual budget is $2000 which I personally think is high, given the fact that at least several times a year (we have monthly meetings) the fact that we have XXXX in the bank that we are unable to touch if we don't want to pay bank fees, and that unless we fundraise in some fashion, we will be "broke" in several years.
Could you clarify this? Several times a year what? And what's this about bank fees? You have to keep a certain amount in the bank or they charge you fees?

If the latter is true, I would look into moving the funds to a credit union. I've been the treasurer for a few different non-profit, volunteer-type organizations. Credit unions are VERY friendly to these kinds of entities, we've never been charged fees, there is no minimum balance, etc.