Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas for speakers for guild meetings >

Ideas for speakers for guild meetings

Ideas for speakers for guild meetings

Old 04-30-2024, 12:22 PM

I was going to suggest Bethanne Nemesh. She can do anything you want - an awesome trunk show or classes or both. She's geographically close - she lives in PA. She is a wonderfully talented and very artistic quilter, multi-award winning, and has a lot of skills in her pocket that are not widely known or taught. Check out her website here.

I have no idea what her rates are, but if it were up to me, I'd be happy using the entire year's budget on her alone, she'd be worth it.
Old 04-30-2024, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

We have a guild yard sale for members only one month a year instead of a program as a fundraiser. All proceeds go to guild. That is always a fun time and we make money. We had members bring their favorite or unusual notion and tell about it. A Round Table Demo where four or five members each have a table set up to show a how to, groups of members rotate every ten minutes to each table. We have a Christmas in July make and take small projects. The best one was making the ten minute table runner in Christmas fabric.
Old 04-30-2024, 03:55 PM

We recently had a guest show how to repair antique quilts. She showed how to replace worn pieces and different options on finding or making fabrics
Old 04-30-2024, 04:16 PM

There are some good ideas already listed here.
Also, you can also tap into the workshop/speaker lists of other guilds in your area. Most guilds list their schedule of programs/speakers on their web sites. If you live in South Eastern PA, you can look at the speaker lists of guilds from PA, NJ, MD and DE to get names and ideas ... none of them would have to travel that far.

here is an example of the info you can find by just searching a guild web site:
https://www.brandywinevalleyquilters...gust-2024.html

http://heartandhomequiltersguild.org/programs.html

https://www.generations-quilt-patter...lt-guilds.html

https://www.piecemakersquiltguild.org/programs

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=quilt+guil...=v314-1&ia=web

In the past, I have worked with guilds fairly close by, and scheduled speakers for both guilds at once to help share travel costs. Speakers could, depending on meeting days, go from one guild to the next on consecutive days.
Local quilt shops are a really good resource too.
good luck

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 04-30-2024 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I was going to suggest Bethanne Nemesh. She can do anything you want - an awesome trunk show or classes or both. She's geographically close - she lives in PA. She is a wonderfully talented and very artistic quilter, multi-award winning, and has a lot of skills in her pocket that are not widely known or taught. Check out her website here.

I have no idea what her rates are, but if it were up to me, I'd be happy using the entire year's budget on her alone, she'd be worth it.
Wowsers - I just went to her website - she is an amazing artist! I would love to see her!
Old 05-01-2024, 03:23 AM

I do quilt related lectures and workshops. My fees are not expensive but the travel cost would certainly add to the cost. Perhaps there is another guild in the area so you could share the expense. If interested, please just send me a PM and we can discuss possible programs you might be interested in. I also don't require a motel stay. I am happy to spend the night in the home of a guild member and have made several long time friends this way.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:04 AM

I'm new to guild meetings. I like a good trunk show. Some of our presenters offer a workshop the next day. Love those. I have signed up for most of them. One meeting, I was asked to make a 15 minute presentation about my creative quilt process and how it relates to my stained glass hobby, along with 3 other members also creating presentations. I made a PowerPoint Presentation. It was fun, and I learned from the other presenters. I actually mentioned this site and saw people taking notes!
As for Zoom, my internet is Hughes satellite, which does not allow live streaming! Country living.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

My guild has speakers several times a year, and the speaker teaches at a workshop, usually the next day. I would be very disappointed if they changed to having speakers on Zoom. My guild belongs to the Southern California Council of Quilt Guilds. They hold a "Meet the Teachers" meeting every year, where guild representatives can learn about teachers and book them for their guild. Usually the teachers have to be booked far in advance.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

Most have no idea how Zoom works in a professional presentation. It's not like Facetime. My cousin has Hughes satellite and she zooms family and church services. She live very rural. No neighbors for several miles.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:20 AM

During Covid, my guild had Zoom meetings. Some of the speakers were excellent and really prepared for teaching/lecturing with Zoom. Others were a bit hokey. Zoom meetings are great except for the fact that you can't see the quilts in person and up close. It's also a bit isolating because you are at home all alone. It was great during Covid and would maybe work as a once or twice a year fill in. Dave Sirota (Quilt Maven Dave) does particularly good Zoom presentations and classes.