Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas for speakers for guild meetings >

Ideas for speakers for guild meetings

Ideas for speakers for guild meetings

Old 05-01-2024, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

We have had Zoom programs at our meetings. The speakers were engaging and interactive with the group. They controlled the mute in the room so no audio clutter from everyone at one time. Really better in some ways then the speaker in person.
Old 05-03-2024, 05:09 AM

Peckish... we keep our funds in a particular banking institution that we have been with since I joined in 2008. For whatever reason, they are reluctant to investigate moving them. I can understand keeping a "slush fund" so that we never go completely broke, and in truth, I believe that $2000 is more than adequate especially since (in my opinion) paying $300 or more - travel, housing, gas etc) for basically a trunk show, is a LOT of money. I don't mind the expense, if we walk away learning something, but paying for what amounts to a travelling "Pop Up Shop" doesn't seem to me to be a good steward of my guild funds.
Old 05-04-2024, 04:14 AM

We’ve had good luck with local quilt shop owners. They share all sorts of useful information and it’s good for their business.
Old 05-04-2024, 04:46 AM

Local hospital has sewing room & volunteers make quilts (some make tops, some tie knots, etc) so head lady came & explained their program. Maybe a local church quilting group could present a program about their operation.

All our members who do long-arming got together and created a talk. I learned they appreciate backing pieced with seam going across and if there’s no border, they like a line of stitching all around to prevent seams popping open. Actually a very informative program.
Old 05-04-2024, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

One thing I try to get members to understand is that a guilds do not have rainy days. The only money needed is to pay for the meeting room. No other expenses needed to have a meeting. Any extra funds are meant to be spent for the benefit of members not to sit in a bank account.
Old 05-04-2024, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
One thing I try to get members to understand is that a guilds do not have rainy days. The only money needed is to pay for the meeting room. No other expenses needed to have a meeting. Any extra funds are meant to be spent for the benefit of members not to sit in a bank account.

How well said!! I think I need to have a serious conversation with the rest of the Executive Board.
Old 05-04-2024, 06:12 AM

My guild this year conducted a poll to see what members were interested in
Old 05-04-2024, 06:45 AM

Sheiler... We did that as well. Most require that a member does a presentation. I do not have any idea if the suggestion was from the member in question, or suggested by someone else who wouldn't dream of doing a presentation lol
Old 05-04-2024, 06:04 PM

I've been asked to speak a couple of times at nearby guilds. One program chair found me from my blog. She asked me to come talk about how I went from traditional quilting to art quilting. Another time, a program chair from across the country found a post I wrote on the trails of finding the right composition. She took my post and expanded upon it to make a nice lecture.
The reason I bring this up is not because I'm famous - lol - but - I was wondering have you thought about trying to look at quilt blogs. Lots of times people will have a page that says they give lectures or classes. Also, Instagram would be a good place to find quilters. Anyways it's a thought!
Old 05-05-2024, 06:14 AM

Piecefully Nina... GREAT idea!! Thank you!