View Single Post
Old 11-03-2015, 03:17 PM
Cari-in-Oly
Banned

Originally Posted by WIChix

Cari - the manual page 91 says "The motor requires no lubrication." ???
How long/narrow is your syringe? Or did you buy it pre-loaded? DH probably has 30wt motor oil around somewhere, but I'm not sure that is the same as what you recommend. Would the TriFlow oil work?

Thanks!
Lori, the oil isn't for the motor itself. Right below that top motor gear that the fiber gear meshes with is a sealed bearing with grease in it that now, after 50+ years has gotten hard. That's where the whine that's particular to these motors comes from. A syringe is the easiest way to get a drop or two of oil to this bearing to help loosen up that hardened grease. 30 wt. motor oil(yes, it's for cars) is perfect for this, regular sewing machine oil or Tri Flow is too thin. It will run right through the bearing and down to the motor without doing what it's supposed to do. I don't know what size my syringe is other than it's bigger than anything I've ever seen used for people. My neighbor gave it to me. I took it to an oil change business and explained what I needed the oil for so they filled it for me. Just a drop or two and let the machine run for a bit to allow the motor oil to soften the grease. It's taken anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes to hear the difference in the machines I've done this to. It really does work, and should last the machine another 25 years or so. The only other way to fix this issue is to replace that bearing and while it's not expensive to replace it, it's a lot more work than lubing it this way.

Cari

Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 11-03-2015 at 03:26 PM.