Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • 1 JANUARY 2011 BOM Pictures. >
  • 1 JANUARY 2011 BOM Pictures.

• 1 JANUARY 2011 BOM Pictures.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:39 PM

That was probably what I needed, but I am still baffled. Maybe I am making this too hard. What I did was measure each area and cut out a piece of fabric including the 1/4 inch seam allowance, but when I sew them together the smaller ones are too small. Maybe I need to not measure and just cut a piece I think is big enough to cover the area. Hmmmm, I think I'm on to something there. Because I see with your pieces they are not cut like mine. Wow, I just wasted a lot of fabric I think. LOL No worries though, it can always be used for something else. Thank you Luv for being so kind to take the time to explain!!! Now, unfortunately, I have to get up early for work and need to get to bed. :-( I will try again tomorrow night. At least now I feel a little more optimistic about it. Thank you!!!
    Old 01-20-2011, 09:45 PM

you are quite welcome. i do not measure my fabric. tried that once and wound up havein to start over. i am no master but if i helped you then i am happy.
    Old 01-20-2011, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by seymoore
    That was probably what I needed, but I am still baffled. Maybe I am making this too hard. What I did was measure each area and cut out a piece of fabric including the 1/4 inch seam allowance, but when I sew them together the smaller ones are too small. Maybe I need to not measure and just cut a piece I think is big enough to cover the area. Hmmmm, I think I'm on to something there. Because I see with your pieces they are not cut like mine. Wow, I just wasted a lot of fabric I think. LOL No worries though, it can always be used for something else. Thank you Luv for being so kind to take the time to explain!!! Now, unfortunately, I have to get up early for work and need to get to bed. :-( I will try again tomorrow night. At least now I feel a little more optimistic about it. Thank you!!!
    I wanted to let you know that my first block I tried to save fabric by cutting "just" the right amount. Measure your paper section (include 1/4) and add about 1/2 inch more. You will end up with tiny pieces left over, but your piece will fold over and cover the section way better. I pin my small fabric piece to the paper with my pin running the length of the line and flip my fabric over to see if it covers what I want. If it covers, then I repin (?) the fabric piece with the pins going across the line. For most of my pieces, I pinned them because I did not want the chance of them moving on me. I made 3 church blocks and thought I was getting better with each one, but then ended up taking pieces apart. This was my first time doing pp and I love it. It is a lot of fun, once you get the hang of it. I found out, I can't let my mind drift while cutting and pinning or I cut sky for church. :oops:
    Old 01-20-2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by BATIKQLTR
    I decided to make another Church this morning. I really like the whimsical blocks that have been posted. I'm not very "whimsical" so I thought I would go out of my zone and give it a try.
    I love the red one with the dark sky!
    Old 01-20-2011, 11:29 PM

I did it!! I can't believe it! It took ALL day but I did it! Here it is....my 1st paper piece AND my applique :D I still have to put the cross on it.
    Be kind...LOL!

You can see the bottom better here :D
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]164822[/ATTACH]

This is on my white design board so it's hard to see the bottom :(
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]164823[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-164817.jpe   attachment-164818.jpe  
    Old 01-21-2011, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by sandyl
    OK, I did it! It took me awhile to "get" the fact that I had to trim before I sewed. And cut before I sewed. Just a learning process for this ole woman. You know....teaching an old dog new tricks.
    Sandy,
    Your Church block is wonderful. I love the darker colors that you picked for the church. What an awesome job!!
    Sew Happy,
    Sulabug
    :D :D :D
    Old 01-21-2011, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by hheelleenn
    This is the first time PP for me. It was difficult for me because I have 1 usable hand (my left). With lots of tape and pins I managed to do it. I had to resolve to do it. I never felt so disabled. But I was determind to complete it. After each try went into the garbage I swore I would not do this. But I did. I've posted it before but I did not get a lot of feedback. Yeah, there are some problems. My disability is out of my control, but within my control is my imagination.
    WOW!! :thumbup: Your Church block turned out awesome. I can't believe that you were able to do such a great job with your left hand!! I couldn't be more proud of you & your block. Thank you for staying with it & sharing with all of us here on the quilting board. You get an A+ for your lovely work!!
    Sew Happy,
    Sulabug
    Old 01-21-2011, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by pheasantduster
    My original block was sent in on Jan 5th. After seeing all the pics of churches and
    read that block should be 12 inch square. So..............I called in the landscaper
    and greenery was added! I must admit the blocks with an additional piece on
    bottom of square really brings out details of the church. Love seeing the different interpretations in each block. Thanks
    Your landscaper did a great job adding to you block!! :thumbup: It looks wonderful & will be so lovely in your house block quilt. Thank you for sharing.
    Sew Happy,
    Sulabug
    Old 01-21-2011, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Short an Sweet
    k, here is my church, my first paper piece, I haven't done the embellishments yet
    Your Church block is really pretty. I can't wait to see it when you are done with your embellishments. Please remember to share it with us again.
    Sew Happy,
    Sulabug
    Old 01-21-2011, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Qbee
    I did it!! I can't believe it! It took ALL day but I did it! Here it is....my 1st paper piece AND my applique :D I still have to put the cross on it.
    Be kind...LOL!
    WOW!! You not only made a great Church block but you appliqued it too!! :thumbup: I really like your layout, it couldn't be any nicer. Thank you so much for sharing with all of us!!
    Sew Happy,
    Sulabug