Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • 20th Mystery Quilt Train Ride >
  • 20th Mystery Quilt Train Ride

• 20th Mystery Quilt Train Ride

Old 10-29-2018, 08:46 AM

Belfrybat - I really like how yours has turned out. And just like the other mysteries I've done, I really like everyone's quilt - even with all the variety!

I have yet to start assembling blocks, but at least by waiting I get to see what others have done before making up my mind!
    Old 10-29-2018, 12:21 PM

Belfry it turned out great!

Macy and dd closely placed diagonals would work well, don't try and get them to fall in certain places all the time. It never works out. I just put the guide on my walking foot and use that for the measurement. You could also do a meander in each block and then some type of straight line quilting in the sash.
    Old 10-30-2018, 05:56 AM

I started putting my pieces together - since I used the leftover triangles from another project, my triangles have all ended up being in 6 color ranges, with no mixed color fabrics. I am toying with keeping the star points all the same color family for each block, but not sure yet. I've not decided on sashing yet, I may want to keep all my dark triangles for my HST project, though it would be neat to sew them alternating to make strips and then cut them into narrow rows and sew them back together. I'd probably have to cut more but that would not be a problem.
    Old 10-30-2018, 01:25 PM

desenters I just love it & your name is perfect! Berry Cobbler Quilt is right. I also think you’re right on about adding a border, at least 4”, maybe even 5”. If you could do the blue that’s in the batik fabrics it’d really set off the quilt I think, or even in your background color like the “crust” you mentioned. Btw, remember I told you I thought you’d like it better after you put the sashing in.
    belfrey If it was me, I’d add something bright & cheerful for the sashing. Even though you’ve got 16” blocks the quilt will be quite small without any sashing added. Your’s is a truly scrappy quilt, something I have a hard time doing myself. I always have to have rhyme & reason in anything I make. Controlled scrappy is as close as I’ve ever gotten & did pretty good with this quilt train. I really love the beginning of your medallion quilt. Now there’s a quilt along I could get into!
    Judy You should’ve gotten my small package of fabrics too by now. Please keep an eye out for it. Btw, what does “flimsies” mean?
    Chasezzz Wow! How bright & cheerful it turned out! Your quilt’s recipient is so lucky. That’s a Kaffe print right?
    Dotty That’s great news. I have a box of color catchers stashed just for my 4P’s quilt I’m making since I didn’t prewash & it’s got some red fabrics right along side of white & other light colored fabrics. It’s got me so anxious already.
    CarolinWI I think you’re over analyzing your quilt, I like it. Then one thing comes to mind, that your recipient wanted red & turquoise & that’s when I think you should change the outer border to turquoise instead. Personally, I like the black too, & think whoever gets it is going to be lucky.

As for my progress, I’m working on a few things right now, including just having had finished up the ornaments for the ornament swap on here, a couple of give away blocks for a local quilt guild, the blocks for my 4P’s quilt, and I started my Arcadia Avenue foundation paper piecing quilt too. As for the MT20 I have 9 of the blocks done & 2 rows sewn. I’m really liking the way the sashing is coming out too. I’m planning on adding 2 borders, one with the mixed colors & one purple one I think.

One ornament I’m sending

Arcadia Avenue block 1

Mystery Train 20 2 rows done. Here’s what the sashing will look like between them.
    Old 10-30-2018, 01:48 PM

mfay We’re all green with envy. Lol. Just Kidding. I like it truly. Would you use black for sashing or are you going to use sashing at all with the plan for so many blocks?

belfrey Looks like you took the advice I sent you belatedly. I like the blue sashing.
    Old 10-31-2018, 03:03 PM

crafty. I havent decided yet but I've thought about it. I;m doing it for my sister who chose the fabric. I'll let her decide. But if she wants the sashing, I'd do a narrow one of the leafy fabric, if she says no sashing I'd see if my long armer friend who will quilt it, has a monsterio leaf same as the fabric in her stash of patterns, to quilt in all the light squares.
    Old 10-31-2018, 04:33 PM

Crafty went to the mailbox again today. Sorry. Nothing there.

And a flimsie is what they call a top that is finished but not sandwiched and quilted.
    Old 11-01-2018, 02:40 AM

"And a flimsie is what they call a top that is finished but not sandwiched and quilted."

You ladies teach me something new everyday, I love this forum
    Old 11-01-2018, 07:15 AM

I've started sewing up my blocks. I want to get this finished up before I get in full swing the the BH mystery. I've got a few other tops I want to get finished up (to the floppy stage) before Thanksgiving too. Kind of scary to think that is only three week!
    Old 11-01-2018, 08:11 AM
    Power Poster

Just poking my nose in here to lurk... and see how the mystery is turning out. These quilts are beautiful! I love the colorways and the block is classic. You make me want to dig into my scraps and make some too.

Originally Posted by Chasezzz
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]603047[/ATTACH]
    Originally Posted by Belfrybat

[ATTACH=CONFIG]603155[/ATTACH]
    Loved CarolinWI's quilt too... the picture just wouldn't copy!