Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >
  • Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

• Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 03-30-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ducky
    Kathy, first of all, it is looking fantastic! Wow, what a pretty one this is going to be. Also, I truly like that border fabric. Your blocks pull out the individual colors, and it looks so pretty next to the black. Just one duck's opinion.
    I agree with this. A gorgeous center and pretty fabric. I think it compliments your blocks very well.
    Just a thought though, knowing me, I'd probably do something like piecing a black strip in the middle of two of the pretty fabric strips to add some dimension. Does that make sense? I was considering(whenever I get my fabrics,lol) to get a stripe fabric for the border, I think with the curves in the blocks, straight lines would frame it nicely, JMHO.

But honestly I think whatever you decide, this quilt will surely be gorgeous when done. And a small request, could I see a closeups pictures of a quilted block, pretty please?
    Old 03-30-2011, 08:29 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by candi
    Originally Posted by Ducky
    Kathy, first of all, it is looking fantastic! Wow, what a pretty one this is going to be. Also, I truly like that border fabric. Your blocks pull out the individual colors, and it looks so pretty next to the black. Just one duck's opinion.
    I agree with this. A gorgeous center and pretty fabric. I think it compliments your blocks very well.
    Just a thought though, knowing me, I'd probably do something like piecing a black strip in the middle of two of the pretty fabric strips to add some dimension. Does that make sense? I was considering(whenever I get my fabrics,lol) to get a stripe fabric for the border, I think with the curves in the blocks, straight lines would frame it nicely, JMHO.

But honestly I think whatever you decide, this quilt will surely be gorgeous when done. And a small request, could I see a closeups pictures of a quilted block, pretty please?
    If you scroll right down to the bottom of the page, click on Topic Lists, then on Affairs of the Heart, they are all there individually, or in the Gallery as we get to making them.
    Old 03-30-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady

If you scroll right down to the bottom of the page, click on Topic Lists, then on Affairs of the Heart, they are all there individually, or in the Gallery as we get to making them.
    Thanks, Lesley. I see the blocks, I kind of just want to see a closeup of how your gals are doing the quilting.
    Old 03-30-2011, 11:28 AM

Hi all: I have been reading and would like some more info on the quilt as you go method you were talking about. Can you explain how you were going to do it?? Maybe a picture or 2???? I have started on mine (slowly). Thanks!!!!
    Old 03-30-2011, 11:31 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Carsey
    Hi all: I have been reading and would like some more info on the quilt as you go method you were talking about. Can you explain how you were going to do it?? Maybe a picture or 2???? I have started on mine (slowly). Thanks!!!!
    Sorry, Carsey, I mis read your message. I think that Kathy (Quilts with Convicts) is the only one so far who is doing QAYG. I am going to put my top together and quilt all on one go on this one.
    Old 03-30-2011, 01:38 PM

Carsey, here is a link to the page where Elle did a short tutorial on QAYG. It's just a few messages down the page. This particular way, there is no sashing on the front between the blocks, and she stitches the back by hand. I have used this method and it works great if you don't mind hand stitching. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-95413-48.htm

Deb Watkins has posted a tutorial where you make the backing larger than the front and stitch the blocks together from the back and use the backing fabric as sashing on the front (hope that makes sense). Her tutorial is here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-52698-1.htm This is very similar to the Fun and Done method and works good too if you don't want to do handstitching.
    Old 03-30-2011, 01:47 PM

There is another method and its the one being used by Kathy (quilts with Convicts), you can go back a few pages where she tells you how.
    Kathy help required, which page did you post it on, I know you are keeping track, thanks in advance

Elle
    Old 03-30-2011, 01:48 PM

Judy, glad you found my method helpful too. It just makes it easier to quilt it and then you don´t have to push it through the machine when its such a large size, I can never get mine through my machine
    Old 03-30-2011, 03:15 PM

I must have missed where Kathy told us how she did it. It's been hit and miss for me on these threads the past couple weeks. I'll go and see if I can find it.

Edit: I found Kathy's instructions. They're on Page 94 towards the bottom of the page.
    Old 03-30-2011, 03:25 PM

Great glad you found it Judy, this method give you a border (if you want it around the block) I think it is a neat way to do it.