Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >
  • Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

• Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 02-14-2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
    Ooooh....sounds like you are hitting the jackpot Meredith! The other day I had a burgundy that I thought would be fine..but I dunked it and wow...I was amazed at all the dye that came out.

I am really terrified for Chocolate Jane...I have a mix of fabric in her- some washed, some not. Some of it was a jelly roll that I couldn't wash..some were bits and pieces from you..not washed..then some FQ's, etc., I did wash...so I have no idea what will happen...I'm scared!!
    Sandpat: years ago I bought red fabric with white polka dots and when I washed it I ended up with pink dots. My friend owned a fabric store and she told me to put the fabric in the washing machine with a box of baking soda and soak it over night. In the morning I ran it through the regular wash cycle and the fabric looked like new. I have used that trick many times through the years and it works everytime.
    Old 02-14-2011, 04:24 PM

Got my book in the mail today, and plan on thoroughly going through it tonight. Oh, wow, it's going to be beautiful, isn't it?
    Old 02-14-2011, 06:15 PM

Ducks, since I am doing machine applique, I will be appliqueing this piece on as a unit on the surface - no reverse applique for me! I do think it could be needleturned on the surface just like all the other pieces. All the seam allowances will make it puff up a bit. Might be a nice look.
    Old 02-14-2011, 08:56 PM

Beautiful work!

Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Linda Ann, don't worry about spelling of my name. In the UK (where I was born) the differentiate between Leslie for males, and Lesley for females. Here in Ireland, they only seem to know Leslie as a male name. In fact, in places like hospitals, they often think I am going to be a male when I turn up, one hospital even allocated me a bed in a male ward!

As for stab stitching in a hoop, it isn't that it's impossible (from the embroidery point of view), I think it will just take a little longer, but stab stitch is definitely possible using a hoop. I don't know about applique with needleturn though. You might have to experiment to see if you can make it work in a hoop.

Back to Block 10, I'll post pics with individual comments, that might be easier.
    Old 02-15-2011, 03:18 AM
    Power Poster

Thank you PK. (May we know your name? You might have said and I missed it, so sorry if I have)
    Old 02-15-2011, 04:23 AM

Hi Lesley! My name is Paula.

Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Thank you PK. (May we know your name? You might have said and I missed it, so sorry if I have)
    Old 02-15-2011, 04:58 AM

Good morning Ladies!

I may be in way over my head, but I ordered this book this morning and I think I'd like to join in. I have plenty of time to review the book and select fabric before the actual start date in June . I've been looking for a pattern for a quilt to make just for me and this looks fabulous. I hope it's not too difficult as I've only done a little applique. I'll try not to embarrass anyone.
    Old 02-15-2011, 05:08 AM

Uh oh, I should have read the entire post----embroidery? On no, what am I getting into? I've never embroidered....Gotta go find another book LOL...
    Old 02-15-2011, 05:19 AM

Welcome, Roxanne. There will be so much help for you here on this thread. These ladies are quite knowledgeable about a miriad of things, especially applique. All you will need to do is merely mention a problem or pose a question & the answer will magically appear!

Enter, therefore, fearless & with determiation!!!!! :-) :-) :-)
    Old 02-15-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
    Welcome, Roxanne. There will be so much help for you here on this thread. These ladies are quite knowledgeable about a miriad of things, especially applique. All you will need to do is merely mention a problem or pose a question & the answer will magically appear!

Enter, therefore, fearless & with determiation!!!!! :-) :-) :-)
    Well, the determination I've always had but the fearless ?????
    I am quite nervous since I went back and read the entire thread and saw all the beautiful work. I've already learned something about applique though---didn't know about trimming the back fabric away (sorry ladies in the funky chicken swap)

As far as the needlework in the book looking amateurish, it might actually make me feel better.