Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • Affairs of the Heart Photo Gallery Discussion Page(s) >
  • Affairs of the Heart Photo Gallery Discussion Page(s)

• Affairs of the Heart Photo Gallery Discussion Page(s)

Old 04-30-2011, 03:20 PM

Beatiful blocks, Judy.
    Old 04-30-2011, 03:54 PM
    Power Poster

I love all 3 Judy, but darn it girl.....!!!! How did you get those scrolls to play so nicely???? :shock: Hmmm....I think you get the blue ribbon for the day just for that part.

I like your reverse applique too....it always seems to be much harder to me, but I don't guess it really is. You sure made it work well for you!
    Old 04-30-2011, 08:58 PM

Thanks for the compliments. I really think that tip about the innie points (taking the three stitches in the applique fabric but not into the background) really helped me with the scrolls and the innie points on the hearts. I am feeling much better about them now.

And, Patti, I am loving reverse applique.
    Old 05-01-2011, 06:05 AM
    Power Poster

I found that tip about the innie points to be really helpful too...mine are much better now also. I think I would be fine with the reverse applique- except on that block with the really skinny shape that had to be done on my little 7" block...there just wasn't enough fabric to turn it under-thats MHO..and I'm sticking to it..:lol:
    Old 05-02-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
    I found that tip about the innie points to be really helpful too...mine are much better now also. I think I would be fine with the reverse applique- except on that block with the really skinny shape that had to be done on my little 7" block...there just wasn't enough fabric to turn it under-thats MHO..and I'm sticking to it..:lol:
    I agree, Patti. I don't know how you guys work on those tiny blocks. I did find another hint about the skinny points, but I'm not sure I can explain it well. Being right handed, I usually start of the right side of an applique piece and when I get to where that skinny tip is, I trim off some extra fabric right at the point. Before, I would just trim off that bunny ear that's sticking out but then I found if I trim out most of the seam allowance from that right side that is now on the left side of the point, when I make the first turn under there's not so much fabric right there at the tip, and you get a much better skinny point, if you understand what I mean. It's made a big difference now in my points.

And I found on the scrolls if I start up towards the rounded part somewhere they turn out much better for me than if I start down towards the tail anywhere.
    Old 05-03-2011, 04:39 AM
    Power Poster

Thanks Judy...I still struggle with those leaves that come to a really skinny point. Or the skinny tail on the scrolls.

I always start somewhere in the middle of a shape on the largest area of a smooth arc or flat straight area. I like to start and finish well away from any point...I seem to be able to make the edge smoother when I'm needle turning anyway.
    Old 05-03-2011, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
    Thanks Judy...I still struggle with those leaves that come to a really skinny point. Or the skinny tail on the scrolls.

I always start somewhere in the middle of a shape on the largest area of a smooth arc or flat straight area. I like to start and finish well away from any point...I seem to be able to make the edge smoother when I'm needle turning anyway.
    Try cutting out the seam allowance from the right side that's on the left (make sense??) at the point. I start just a couple threads past the fold and snip out all that fabric. Helps a lot on those skinny points.
    Old 05-03-2011, 06:01 PM
    Power Poster

I'm going to give that a try the next time I have that shape Judy, thanks for the tip
    Old 05-09-2011, 03:59 AM
    Power Poster

How odd, I find it a lot easier to start at the point!
    Old 05-09-2011, 06:43 AM

Lesley, I can't figure out how it would finish well if you ended right at the point. Can you explain how you do that.