Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • BLOCK OF THE MONTH - APRIL 2007 - Frolic Variation and/or Arrowheads - Directions & Discussion >
  • BLOCK OF THE MONTH - APRIL 2007 - Frolic Variation and/or Arrowheads - Directions & Discussion

• BLOCK OF THE MONTH - APRIL 2007 - Frolic Variation and/or Arrowheads - Directions & Discussion

Old 04-08-2007, 04:26 AM

jljack your work looks lovely. you can't tell except by close scrutiny that the blocks all are the same pattern. I like the variations. is it a wall hanging or lapquilt? Looks big enough for a throw. You should enter it at a fair or something. I think it's that good.

I spent yesterday taking the outer border and sash off of twenty log cabin blocks I did in 2002. I Couldn't get the thing to lie flat no matter what I did. the blocks were simply not square or uniform in size. I must'a been under the influence when I PUT THIS TOGETHER. And some of my seems look to be close to 1/2 an inch deep. (that's the seamstress influence at work) I can save them had to sacrifice my original sash. I see a scrap quilt in my future. :D
    Old 04-08-2007, 06:07 AM
    Administrator

if your seams are that deep you should be able to easily square them up to a slightly smaller size or
    square them up with one more trip around each block. use strips a bit wider than usual so you have lots of leeway for squaring.
    Old 04-08-2007, 06:51 AM

Back to the idea of more than 1 block per month, I would be up for up to 3 per month as well. I may not always have time to get to them every month but the great thing about this is that no one has put me on a timeline so I can make them as I can. If I fall behind, you all will never know. :lol:

As someone else said as well, I am not committed to make them all. So, I can pick and choose if I want/need to.

It will also allow me to put my quilts together sooner since the blocks are coming faster.

I'll be excited to see what we all decide to do.
    Old 04-08-2007, 06:59 AM

I all ready squared them by making a template from cardboard and rotary cutting ea one from the center to fit. It was the sash that was the most out of wack. :roll: Now I'll add another round to the block and put them together instead of trying to sash them with with long strips.
    Old 04-08-2007, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Yvonne
    More thoughts...

Are we limiting ourselves to just piecing? We could set up three (or more) groups, maybe, by style of the projects.

1. piecing
    2. paper piecing
    3. hand applique
    4. machine applique
    5. redwork
    etc!

We all can make decisions as to what we want to do and what we want to skip.
    Personnaly I'm comfortable with my pattern piecing & paper piecing skills but need to really learn & work on hand applique skills.
    I like the idea of more than one block a month, but I think 5 catagories are too many, It would break down nicely into two or three based on your list. How about:
    1. piecing, any kind
    2. applique, any kind
    Maybe 3. Other methods of blocks.

The list could easily be broke down to the different methods, and if someone wanted to contribute to more than one list, they can add their name to the other lists. Then we would all have choices and still get to do other things. I do mostly piecing and need lots of help in applique, so would be really challenged by applique blocks. One could come out on the 1st, the other on the 15th, or both on the first or whatever. I live variety. :!: :!:
    Old 04-08-2007, 10:53 AM
    Administrator

May I ever so gently make a suggestion?

Let's leave this activity the way it is. We don't want to rock the boat and make those who are happy with the current system jump ship. Also, if we keep talking about it here, we could confuse any newcomers who haven't been in on the converstations going on since March.

why mess up one good thing in search of another? who says we can't enjoy more than one good thing? we should start a separate thread if we really want to bounce around some ideas for an additional - and separate - activity. if we don't drive him crazy in the process, and if we come up with something all interested parties find fair and agreeable, we can approach Admin to see if we can have it here.

the first person who reads this and agrees should start the thread. the rest of us who are interested will join you there.
    :-)
    Old 04-08-2007, 11:18 AM

:-) hi Patrice Im from Ontario Canada do we send our blocks anywhere or just do them and post pictures Tks Andie
    Old 04-08-2007, 12:56 PM

we keep the blocks we do and just post a picture if you want. The whole idea is to try and learn new things and have FUN FUN FUN
    Old 04-08-2007, 01:22 PM

Patrice I agree but actually you were the first person to read your post and anyway you are right and best idea so we are waiting for you to start the post. :twisted:
    Old 04-08-2007, 02:52 PM
    Administrator

aaaawwwww man [this is me in my whiniest voice] can't you guys elect somebody else to be Chief Troublemaker for once?
    :shock: :lol:

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze?