Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • Block of Month, May 1, 2007 - Cabbage Rose and/or Spider Star - Directions & Discussion >
  • Block of Month, May 1, 2007 - Cabbage Rose and/or Spider Star - Directions & Discussion

• Block of Month, May 1, 2007 - Cabbage Rose and/or Spider Star - Directions & Discussion

Old 05-12-2007, 03:56 PM
    Administrator

hmmm ... i don't think java has anything to do with it at this website.

when you put your cursor over the word "download" it should turn into a little hand. when it does, right-click with your mouse and select the option to "save target as ...". find a folder on your hard drive you can find easily when you're done. once you browsed to the folder, click the "save" button and you're done. if you have a new enough version of adobe reader installed, you should be able to open it from your hard drive. if that doesn't work, run adobe reader first, the select "file, open", find the file and it should open just fine.

are you on dial-up access to the internet? that causes problems for some folks. big files take forever to download or just make your poor modem freak out altogether. i kept this file as small as i could.

if you keep having problems, pm me and give me your regular email address. i'll send it to you.
    Old 05-13-2007, 06:03 AM

Patrice, how in the world do you measure 3 11/16" ?????

Mary
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Old 05-13-2007, 07:17 AM
    Administrator

i DON'T. :shock:

none of my rulers are convenient for measuring in 8ths let alone 16ths. i suppose i'll get one someday, but so far i haven't really needed it badly enough to pay the price. i switch to either paper piecing, templates, or i draw the blocks on the computer and print them on the back of the fabric. (i used rotary, pp and templates for the quilt i'm working on now. different pieces worked better in each of the different methods. there's one piece in particular i will definitely print on the fabric if i ever use that block again.)

if i have no other choice but to measure 16ths, i count the number of threads in 1/8ths and do it that way.

on the ever popular $2 stuff from Wally World, 11/16ths is about 2 threads less than 3/4". most of the fabric from hancocks quilting department is 5 threads per 1/8th so i'd probably use 3.

first, line the ruler up 1/8th more than called for, then back it up 2 or 3 threads. if you're slightly off using such a small measurement, you can usually ease any extra with no problem at all. i doubt anyone could tell the difference.

Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Old 05-13-2007, 06:26 PM

Your instreuctions for optical X box calls for this measurement. I was going to try it. I dont think I will for now. I am still trying to finish my quilt. trying to figure out how to quilt it. I echoed each patch, but the pieces are so big I need to do something else. I will take a picture and see if you can get any ideas.
    Old 05-14-2007, 01:35 AM
    Administrator

i never even noticed that! that is too complicated. yuck!

i wasn't planning to use rotary for that one, so didn't pay very close attention.

i ran the rotary instructions again, but told EQ to round to the nearest 1/8th. for a 12" block, from 2" strips, cut off one end at a 45 degree angle, then cut every 3 and 3/4"

i'll make a test block using those measurements to verify it still makes a proper 12" block and let you know.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:25 AM

Hello
    This is my first entry. I love the double wedding ring block. Can you please tell me where I can get the pattern or can you sed it to me. My husdand wants me to make one. This one I am going to work on. Thank you. Bajan
    Old 05-14-2007, 09:28 AM
    Administrator

that isn't one of the Blocks of the Month. it's a commercial pattern. here's a link to info

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/1061.page
    Old 05-14-2007, 10:59 AM

here is a link to a traditional wedding ring pattern http://www.mccallsquilting.com/legacy/vintage02_pattern/index.html
    Old 05-14-2007, 03:48 PM

Bajan:
    I went to Joann Fabrics and bought an Omnigrid Double Wedding Ring templates and instructions sheet (Book, actually). Rotary Cutting Templates are by Sharlene jorgenson. The kit includes 8 acrylic templates with adhesive felt grips, time saving cutting and piecing techniques, yardage charts and suppy lists for a variety of quilt sizes. I used the 40 % off coupon that comes in Joann's flyer every month so the kit cost only about $14 ...can't remember for sure.

Yes, the kit can be a bit spendy but the quilt will be an heirloom so is worth the initial investment. Good Luck :D

Feathers
    Old 05-14-2007, 04:07 PM

:D
    Thank you. bajan.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-58122.jpe