Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • BLOCKS OF THE MONTH - 1st of the Month, 2011 >
  • BLOCKS OF THE MONTH - 1st of the Month, 2011

• BLOCKS OF THE MONTH - 1st of the Month, 2011

Old 12-30-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    Originally Posted by SulaBug
    The blocks will vary in size, but we are looking to each person to add to them, to make the block 12 1/2".
    This is my first BOM project. Could you explain what it means to 'add' to each one to get 12 1/2"?

TIA
    Some of the blocks may be smaller than 12 1/2 so, for example, you might add a border around it to make it come out to 12 1/2". Or, if you have EQ or know how to draft designs yourself, you could enlarge the whole block so that it is 12 1/2. Hope that helps.
    Old 12-30-2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by JudyG
    Originally Posted by SulaBug
    The blocks will vary in size, but we are looking to each person to add to them, to make the block 12 1/2".
    This is my first BOM project. Could you explain what it means to 'add' to each one to get 12 1/2"?

TIA
    Some of the blocks may be smaller than 12 1/2 so, for example, you might add a border around it to make it come out to 12 1/2". Or, if you have EQ or know how to draft designs yourself, you could enlarge the whole block so that it is 12 1/2. Hope that helps.
    Does the person who gives the block each month add to it, to make it 12 1/2"? Or do the individual people do it to their own blocks while they're making them?
    Old 12-30-2010, 05:12 PM

Ok, I have been reading of the BOM here and am I right to say we make one block a month ? and end up with a quilt of 12 blocks? I would like to follow along and possibly do each as I can. Thanks ..

Sharon
    Old 12-30-2010, 05:17 PM

2 more days!
    Old 12-30-2010, 05:18 PM

I'm going to give this a try too, never done a BOM. Sounds like a lot of fun.
    Old 12-30-2010, 05:25 PM

I am in! Wish me luck :P
    Old 12-30-2010, 05:37 PM

Does the person who gives the block each month add to it, to make it 12 1/2"? Or do the individual people do it to their own blocks while they're making them?
    MommaDorian, this is not a swap. Nobody gives anyone any blocks. You will be keeping the blocks you make and doing whatever you want with them. So make them whatever you want them to be.
    Old 12-30-2010, 05:39 PM

MommaDorian, this is not a swap. Nobody gives anyone any blocks. You will be keeping the blocks you make and doing whatever you want with them. So make them whatever you want them to be.
    When I say 'gives' the block, I mean the pattern given on the 1st of the month. Does everyone do their own thing to make the block 12 1/2"?
    Old 12-30-2010, 06:03 PM

When I say 'gives' the block, I mean the pattern given on the 1st of the month. Does everyone do their own thing to make the block 12 1/2"?
    One person assigned for each month will choose a block pattern. Everyone will use the same pattern but may add to it. All will look different anyway because you decide your own fabric. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong as this is my first BOM online too!
    Old 12-30-2010, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    Originally Posted by meesabell
    So, if I want a consistent sky in my blocks then I could be looking for the fabric for that, right? Any suggestions? Enable me, I'm an easy target! :-D
    It's really up to you. You could do white, blue, clouds, anything that says sky to you. You could embellish and make hills in the background. You could go romantic like Bunny Hill type of patterns and use very delicate, petite florals for the backgrounds and then do gingerbread type accents on your houses.

Whatever you want it to be.
    I did a bunch of houses once for a strip robin. I found a blue hand-dye that was really nice for the sky. I used it all up- end of that story, wahhh.