• Blocks of the Month and Week
  • BLOCKS OF THE MONTH - 1st of the Month, 2011 >
  • BLOCKS OF THE MONTH - 1st of the Month, 2011

• BLOCKS OF THE MONTH - 1st of the Month, 2011

Old 02-12-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by helen31406
    Originally Posted by LoriH
    Originally Posted by hheelleenn
    I just printed Feb. block. It printed correctly! I wasted so much paper on Jan. I expected problems again. But then I looked, really looked at the pattern. I just might have to bow out of Feb. I don't THINK I will be able to accomplish this while maintaining my sanity. I'll try it BUT.... I place high standards and expectations on myself. But physically I don't think I can. I will try, because I always say "how do you know you can't do it, when you don't try it" If I was physically capable, I would do one until it was completed. Wish me luck and I'll let you know how it goes.
    Good luck. I did mine almost one section, a day, at a time. It was a slow process, but it saved my sanity!
    This is so true. A little a a time is good. I may go back and do another farmhouse to get rid of the errors.

Another thought is that we should do projects that are really difficult for us. It's important to get out of the "comfort zone" to really learn. If we just do stuff that is easy or that we can do "perfectly," we won't advance in art. That is -- if it is the intention to go forward to more complex and difficult work. Just a thought-- for what it's worth.
    Thank you all so much. I need that "shot in the arm" a "go get em' kid" but I wish it was so simple as this. See with PP it's so hard for me as I only have use of one arm and hand. Being in a wheelchair doesn't help matters. I thought that piecing was hard with one arm! But PP, checking the seam allowances, stitching straight etc well, you all know I don't have to tell you. Try it some time. Next time you are PP just try it with one arm/hand. Or piecing, try cutting fabric. Oh you have to hold a ruler too? You want straight cuts? But I love quilting. And I do take my time (I have no choice!).
    Old 02-12-2011, 11:53 AM

Too bad you couldn't find someone that enjoyed doing the piecing part and hated doing the quilting, then she could piece for both of you and you could quilt for you both.
    Old 02-12-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by helen31406
    Originally Posted by LoriH
    Originally Posted by hheelleenn
    I just printed Feb. block. It printed correctly! I wasted so much paper on Jan. I expected problems again. But then I looked, really looked at the pattern. I just might have to bow out of Feb. I don't THINK I will be able to accomplish this while maintaining my sanity. I'll try it BUT.... I place high standards and expectations on myself. But physically I don't think I can. I will try, because I always say "how do you know you can't do it, when you don't try it" If I was physically capable, I would do one until it was completed. Wish me luck and I'll let you know how it goes.
    You are absolutely right on...I kept doing stuff like machine applique which for me was easy. Then this yr I decided no more...I was going to get more involved in more complex blocks so I joined the 3 BOM's on this site and then the more difficult Civil War Blocks on another site...That's really pushing me but I take my time and have succeeded in getting 3 out of the 7 blocks done...I'm a bit behind because they post a new block every Sat.
    Also I find in more diff blocks with allot of seams to bast them first...if they are right just resew over the base line...if wrong easy to pull basting line out and adjust and rebast...till you get it right...no tiny stitches to rip...

Good luck. I did mine almost one section, a day, at a time. It was a slow process, but it saved my sanity!
    This is so true. A little a a time is good. I may go back and do another farmhouse to get rid of the errors.

Another thought is that we should do projects that are really difficult for us. It's important to get out of the "comfort zone" to really learn. If we just do stuff that is easy or that we can do "perfectly," we won't advance in art. That is -- if it is the intention to go forward to more complex and difficult work. Just a thought-- for what it's worth.
    Old 02-12-2011, 01:18 PM

hheelleenn, have you tried using a glue stick to help hold your fabric pieces lined up together while you sew?

If you only use a very small dab, the fabric pulls apart easily after you have sewn it, but makes it easier to keep in place until then. Use a washable glue stick and any residue rinses out.

I am using this method on another project and I find it very helpful.

I sometimes also just fold the paper back on the seam line and sew beside the paper. That way you don't have to tear it away after.

I don't know if any of this is helpful to you. I do applaud your determination and the great results you achieve.
    Old 02-12-2011, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Deecee
    hheelleenn, have you tried using a glue stick to help hold your fabric pieces lined up together while you sew?

If you only use a very small dab, the fabric pulls apart easily after you have sewn it, but makes it easier to keep in place until then. Use a washable glue stick and any residue rinses out.

I am using this method on another project and I find it very helpful.

I sometimes also just fold the paper back on the seam line and sew beside the paper. That way you don't have to tear it away after.

I don't know if any of this is helpful to you. I do applaud your determination and the great results you achieve.
    Great idea! And, no I had not thought of that. I definately will try that.
    Old 02-15-2011, 08:59 AM

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum but found your BOM and thought I'd like to do this since it will give me some practice PPing. I'll have to do some catching up but this should be fun!
    Old 02-15-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Linda 2B
    Hi,
    I'm new to this forum but found your BOM and thought I'd like to do this since it will give me some practice PPing. I'll have to do some catching up but this should be fun!
    Welcome to the BOM Linda 2B!! I just know you will love joining in on all of the fun. A wonderful thing about doing these, is you have no time deadline to meet. It's do it on your own time. We will be anxious to see your first completed block!!
    :D :D :D
    Old 02-15-2011, 05:11 PM

Might have been a fun BOM. I am not willing to waste anymore paper and ink for a pattern I can't print. Done trying to use patterns from quilter's cache. None of them print right.
    Old 02-15-2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
    Might have been a fun BOM. I am not willing to waste anymore paper and ink for a pattern I can't print. Done trying to use patterns from quilter's cache. None of them print right.
    I'd offer to mail you copies but I can't print them out right either!
    I drew them out on graph paper and will work with them that way.

Someone on here should be willing to send you copies!
    Anyone?
    :-D
    Old 02-15-2011, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
    Each page prints out a different wrong size, so i know it is not me.