BOM 2011

Old 10-10-2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Qbee
Originally Posted by marymc
I am in regardless of the choice. Laurenberhard,might be right though that the journal is more of a personal thing. I have never done a BOM and I like the idea of seeing the same block made by everyone. As a fairly inexperienced quilter it really helps me with vision. Maybe someone will be willing to do the journal as a seperate project.
Good idea. Those who want to start "journaling" through their quilts could do like a monthly "show and tell" through a different thread. :D
i agree with these quilters. the bom concept should be about seeing how others handle the same block.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:53 AM

I'm sorry. If I had've known that Block of the Month meant everyone did the same thing like a kit or being in a class, I would never have mentioned Jounal as an idea. I just didn't understand that doing different blocks each month to the same topic was only a group activity. I won't make that mistake again. :oops:

Jeanine
Old 10-11-2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanine
I'm sorry. If I had've known that Block of the Month meant everyone did the same thing like a kit or being in a class, I would never have mentioned Jounal as an idea. I just didn't understand that doing different blocks each month to the same topic was only a group activity. I won't make that mistake again. :oops:

Jeanine
jeanine, please don't feel that you did anything wrong. i apologize if i made you feel that way. sometimes the sentiment can get lost in this print media. it is such a black and white way to communicate we lose the eye contact and facial expressions that go with face to face.
no one thinks you did anything wrong. everyone has an opinion and we are all glad to hear everyone.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:54 AM

Jeanine
Oh goodness no...you don't need to be sorry!! :lol: It's a GREAT idea even if not used for the BOM. I will be journaling via a quilt every year from now on...seriously! I'm SO glad you had such a great idea. As for the BOM, everyone is just giving their likes and dislikes at this point. Again, thanks for the great journaling idea. And as said above, so much gets lost in the translation when communicating electronically.....I don't think anyone disliked your idea :D
Old 10-11-2010, 10:50 AM

Jeanine
Jeanine,
We truly appreciate your idea of journaling & thank you so much for sharing!! :D We put this post up for any & all idea's. It gives each one of us something new to think about. It may not be picked for the BOM, but I am sure that you have made several of us think about doing your very idea, with another project!! Please continue to share with all of us. We never know what great idea that will turn out to be the perfect project!!
I thank you for your input!!
Sulabug
:D :D :D
Old 10-11-2010, 03:25 PM

One of the things I love about this board is the acceptance. everyone is so willing to listen, advice and suggest. True friends even if "cyber friends".
Old 10-11-2010, 10:03 PM

If everyone is doing the same block each month I suggest we go to the first suggetions and do the houses. I have found several online and in books and even a barn, a school house, a mansion, and many varities of houses. Someone get us a block up and I will do it and journal for myself. I need the companionship of real people. My life is so lonely and my quilting, crafting etc. keeps me going.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:13 PM

How about expanding on the houses idea? Light houses were mentioned. Well, that's a "house". And a school house block? And a Post Office? (okay, not as house but hey.. ). Make it a "Town" Quilt. School, Post office, Church, Mosque, houses, lighthouse (make it a town by the sea) Police station, Firehouse, Library, Doctor office, a park, a marina, etc.?

Something beyond stars and churn dashes. But still do-able for beginners willing to give paper piecing a go.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:17 PM

It sounds like a doable for me. I will like to do one with water since I saw a block done where the woman used different strips of blue materials for the water. It was beautiful. I have a photographic memory so I don't remember where I saw it.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelady
How about expanding on the houses idea? Light houses were mentioned. Well, that's a "house". And a school house block? And a Post Office? (okay, not as house but hey.. ). Make it a "Town" Quilt. School, Post office, Church, Mosque, houses, lighthouse (make it a town by the sea) Police station, Firehouse, Library, Doctor office, a park, a marina, etc.?

Something beyond stars and churn dashes. But still do-able for beginners willing to give paper piecing a go.
I like this idea of a town quilt. And also be do-able for beginners, I have tried paper piecing and really like it, I've even done some machine applique and like it too. I would like to go beyond the norm and expand my learning skills. A town quilt is not something you would normally do, but I think would really be fun and a good learning experience for lots of us.

A BOM would be the only way for me to even try something like this. I need the support and guidance of other quilters when trying something new. And you have a whole month to make the block and lots of people who are working on the same block to help you with advise and questions.

But whatever is decided I'm in, just for the learning experience and fun. I can't wait to see what we're going to do!!!