Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • BOM - OCTOBER 1 2007 (DRUNKARD'S PATH and/or MORNING STAR) - Directions & Discussion >
  • BOM - OCTOBER 1 2007 (DRUNKARD'S PATH and/or MORNING STAR) - Directions & Discussion

• BOM - OCTOBER 1 2007 (DRUNKARD'S PATH and/or MORNING STAR) - Directions & Discussion

Old 02-14-2008, 12:04 PM

I still want to do this Patrice and am thinking a larger template may help. Is there an easy way to compute or devise my own curves?
    Old 02-15-2008, 04:47 AM
    Administrator

get one of those rulers with the little hole at standard intervals. use it as a compass. pin at one end, fine pencil through the hole at the measurement you want. if the holes mark quarter inches, you can use the ruler to mark accurate seam allowances, too.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:07 AM

Thanks Patrice, I actually caved at the quilt show though and bought a nice large template; since working with them on the machine was giving me fits I've been hand quilting the blocks. Success, except that I started them in a couple of different fabrics. Once I get enough done I will need to see what pattern works best. Will post pictures as soon as I get a top worked up. Probably do a small lap quilt or some such.

By hand it is actually fairly easy, though pinning is of essence. One thing I’ll note is that working them by hand I didn’t have to clip the fabric. I intended to do that, but forgot and it turned out excellent, and as the old adage goes “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. I was so worried my hand stitched quarter inch seam would be so far off the blocks would look funny since I eyeballed the allowance, but even with a slight variance they look wonderfully rounded. Cool. I sure hope they piece together near as well. I’ve been wanting to try hand quilting ever since reading Jenny Beyer telling how she got a lot more work done not being tied to a machine. I don’t know if that’s really the case, but ‘the path’ works well this way for me so why not?

I’ve had a head cold this last few days and sitting here quietly quilting these blocks has helped me to relax. Once again, thanks for all the encouragement and for posting this block. I really did need to get over my fear of curves.
    :wink:
    Old 04-10-2008, 06:46 PM

See the picture on the other post...
    Old 04-23-2008, 04:02 AM

Thanks for the links.....I had just bought the right fabric..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Old 04-23-2008, 04:09 AM

Just want to try this quick reply button..what is it for...sorry...still learning...
    Old 04-23-2008, 04:10 AM

so post reply and quick reply...they are just the same ??? (without icons of course....)...... :oops:
    Old 04-23-2008, 04:03 PM
    Administrator

why the blush? it's kewl. now i don't have to figure it out for myself. you taught me something. :P
    Old 04-23-2008, 04:06 PM
    Administrator

Originally Posted by Steve
    By hand it is actually fairly easy, though pinning is of essence. One thing I’ll note is that working them by hand I didn’t have to clip the fabric. :wink:
    whether pieced by hand or machine, pins are less essential when working on bigger pieces.

pressed "properly" there's no need to clip machine pieced drunks either. of course, you may if you please. they won't feel it. :lol: