Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • Buying Fabrics for the Blocks of the Month >
  • Buying Fabrics for the Blocks of the Month

• Buying Fabrics for the Blocks of the Month

Old 01-11-2009, 10:38 AM
    Administrator

people often ask how much fabric they should buy in preparation for playing along with our Blocks of the Month. that's a very hard question to answer since every block is different. some use only two colors, others may use more. quilts come in all shapes and sizes. somebody planning to use the blocks in an eventually bed-size quilt will need more than we "lapsters" do. here are a few of my thoughts on the subject.

if there is a particular fabric you already know you'll want to use in every block, i'd recommend at least a yard and a half if you're heading toward a lap quilt. three yards for twin or full. four toward a queen or king. (add to that if you already know you want it for sashing, borders or binding, too.) [**** these are wild guesses. you may get better advice as other members add to this thread. ****]

pick a background fabric that coordinates well with your primary fabric(s) but doesn't compete for attention. tone-on-tone prints are great for backgrounds. there isn't a "right" or "wrong" color. again - it shouldn't compete with the other fabrics. it should make them "pop".

Block-of-the-Month quilts offer a great opportunity to go "scrappy". If you're thinking of a particular colorway (e.g. shades of purple) start with some fat quarters of different fabrics in those colors and shades. if you run out before the quilt is done, jump for joy at the excuse to go buy more.

some members wait to see each pick and then go get their fabrics - usually fat quarters.

my self-inflicted challenge in 2007 was to make all my blocks out of my scrap bag. (silly me. i gave away my scraps before i'd made all the blocks. now i will have to dip into the rest of my stash. aw shucks. :lol: )

i don't think there's a wrong answer to the question. i'm just going to sit back and read the flood of other right answers that are sure to follow. :-)
    Old 01-11-2009, 10:13 PM

Nice post. I've also decided that I'm going to try and do this year's BOM using my scraps. I went through all of them and sorted into colors to determine what I had. I didn't include anything that I have some vague ideas for so I really don't have a lot of scraps, for some reason, so I'm probably going to make a trip for a good stash of fat quarters too.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:39 PM

Hi Patrice,

Any idea why my quilt pictures won't post? I tried yesterday and today on the picture link. I keep getting a message that says to make sure you are post a quilt or something related to quilting and not your vacation pictures. I was trying to post a quilt top I just finished for a friend with cancer.
    Old 02-16-2009, 03:11 PM

Thanks Patrice for the nice post! Even though I've only made 2 blocks (the Pioneer BOM) -- I've used stuff in my stash. Hope to be able to continue to do that....
    Old 05-03-2009, 02:04 PM

Hi I hope it's not to late to start.I'm just learning so this is a great at home project . I love the board. Thanks again all of you for let me in :D
    Old 05-03-2009, 02:34 PM
    Administrator

It's NEVER too late to start! :P

That's why we leave all the block selections permanently posted. You can pick and choose which to do and do them whenever the mood strikes. ;-)

(don't tell anybody but i still have one or two left from 2007 and most of the 2008 blocks undone ... and i've been "in" since the very first one! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: )
    Old 11-30-2009, 07:54 PM

I am brand new to this site and am delighted at what I see. I look forward to doing a Block of the Month quilt. I may give it to m y grandaughter of her 15th birthday next year. I haven't seen the new pattern for winter. Is there a special date it comes out or have I missed it? <smile>
    Old 12-01-2009, 05:10 AM

Using from our stash and scraps is a good idea for Block of the Month and a very good way to continue improving our skill level and should we find a block that really really apeals to us then we could just make up a whole bunch of them for whatever size quilt we would like. Sooooooo since there are no time constraints, I will probably join in on this in 2010. I've just never investigated this part of the site because I thought we had to finish within some time frame.
    Old 12-01-2009, 06:35 AM

When will the bom for 2010 be posted? I would like to try this , this year!
    Angie
    Old 12-01-2009, 08:54 AM

I like to try it too