Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012 >
  • Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012

• Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012

Old 11-09-2011, 04:27 PM

Cre8, I agree with Anael. I think I'm an advance quilter, but I think this would work for everyone.
    Old 11-09-2011, 04:57 PM
    Power Poster

gus, since you are shooting for doing the quilt in "sections" rather than jump all over the quilt, you will have some blocks that are really hard thrown in with some of the easier blocks. I will say in looking over your list that there are some in there that for the life of me...I couldn't have done them any way other than to PP them.

You might want to look at the threads ( I know you have) from last year to see if there were any that specifically tell about making your own PP pattern for the block. Sometimes I found that several of us would work out a "better" way to do things than the PP pattern in the software. In fact, there are some blocks 9 (can't remember specifically which ones) that are missing parts when the pattern prints. The other thing to look out for is when the pattern should be printed as a Mirror image vs. regular.
    Old 11-09-2011, 08:13 PM

i like what you have of the schedule so far
    Old 11-09-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
    gus, since you are shooting for doing the quilt in "sections" rather than jump all over the quilt, you will have some blocks that are really hard thrown in with some of the easier blocks. I will say in looking over your list that there are some in there that for the life of me...I couldn't have done them any way other than to PP them.

You might want to look at the threads ( I know you have) from last year to see if there were any that specifically tell about making your own PP pattern for the block. Sometimes I found that several of us would work out a "better" way to do things than the PP pattern in the software. In fact, there are some blocks 9 (can't remember specifically which ones) that are missing parts when the pattern prints. The other thing to look out for is when the pattern should be printed as a Mirror image vs. regular.
    Sandpat -
    if you wouldnt mind going over my list again to see which ones gave you a problem, I will see what I can do to make things easier. As some have indicated, the 'thatquilt' blog site has tips for every block along with visual aids.

I personally love paper piecing - but I know it scares some. thequiltshow.com had a great segment on it a short while back. I can contact them and see if it can be shared. Otherwise, I do have some tips of my own that would help.
    Old 11-09-2011, 08:33 PM

I'm interested, but couldn't do 3 a wk. I have book and CD already.
    Old 11-09-2011, 09:03 PM

i had never paperpieced before i started my DJ. now i wish i had learned sooner
    Old 11-10-2011, 05:39 AM
    Power Poster

Gus, it would just be some of the blocks with the teeny, tiny tris...you've already said you are going to do a tute on the FG...so that would help. I'm really not a very "seasoned" quilter and I don't "sew" at all...so some of the blocks were probably more of a challenge for me than for others. I found that lining up the segments of the blocks was really difficult for me early on as well. I finally figured out that a glue basting pen was my very best friend! LOL!

I think your schedule is fine. Afterall...there is a whole group here to help folks through the tough ones!
    Old 11-10-2011, 12:30 PM

Just for everyone's information -
    there is an EXCELLENT tutorial on paper piecing using freezer paper. The link was created and posted by a member on this website. The link is:

http://dquilts.blogspot.com/2007/04/...per-piece.html

I would advise taking an easy pattern and trying it. I will also post the way I paper piece at a later time. Unfortunately I've got to run now. But I wanted to give a few non-paper-piecers a heads up - the explanation and photos at this site are great!
    Gus
    Old 11-10-2011, 12:41 PM

This is an excellent way to do some of those tiny pieces. I'm going to try this.
    Old 11-11-2011, 03:56 AM

Oh, Jan, your quilt is beautiful! I don't think I had ever seen it before. So glad you posted it now! What are you working on now?