• The Farmer's Wife Quilt -Along, Discussion Page for Blocks 1 &  2 >
  • The Farmer's Wife Quilt -Along, Discussion Page for Blocks 1 & 2

• The Farmer's Wife Quilt -Along, Discussion Page for Blocks 1 & 2

Old 08-12-2010, 12:11 AM

Where do we find the rotary cutting instructions please Margaret
    Old 08-12-2010, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Margaret J
    Where do we find the rotary cutting instructions please Margaret
    Go to The Farmers Wife Quilt-Along Forum (in BOM topic); scroll way down through all the good info. from Muriel; near the end is the info. for blocks 3 & 4 and a URL for rotary cutting blocks 3 & 4; keep scrolling down to the end for rotary cutting blocks 1 & 2. That's all there is yet; each week we get a new set of rotary cutting instructions for that week's blocks.
    Old 08-12-2010, 05:19 AM

all these pages are getting pretty complicated to keep sorted out.
    Old 08-12-2010, 11:56 AM

I am so confused now I don't know whether I'm coming or going with all the discussions so far about templates being the wrong sizes. I think you need to start this all over , make any corrections & repost blocks 1,2 & 3 both for making your own templates as well as the rotary cutting with pictures & sizes for those who wish to do this. Otherwise I don't see how you can figure out anything with all these pages to read!!! As it is now I just feel like tearing everything up& not participating at all. .
    Old 08-12-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kathleen charnell
    I am so confused now I don't know whether I'm coming or going with all the discussions so far about templates being the wrong sizes. I think you need to start this all over , make any corrections & repost blocks 1,2 & 3 both for making your own templates as well as the rotary cutting with pictures & sizes for those who wish to do this. Otherwise I don't see how you can figure out anything with all these pages to read!!! As it is now I just feel like tearing everything up& not participating at all. .
    I have taken my time to do the rotary instructions fot those who choose to do rotary cutting. I found it very frustrating not to have them included with the book-that's why I have done it. There are those who choose to do handpiecing and cut out the templates and do everything by hand. I personally think this book was written exclusively for hand piecers-That's MY opinion. There are those that like to paper piece--the only way to get help with that format is to have additional computer software. There are quilters who are very new to quilting and don't understand the terminology. There are quite a few blocks that cannot be rotary cut and need the temlates to complete it. Yes, right now all the different pages can be confusing and a little annoying to get to-- and I think down the road it will be ironed out. So to start all over is a little much. My opinion.
    Old 08-12-2010, 12:34 PM

Take a deep breath Kathleen...try not to get discouraged. We don't have to move at the same pace...and although there is a lot of information, might I suggest that when you read something that you want to reference for whatever purpose, that you copy and paste it into a word document? That way, you will be able to have what you need without re-reading everyone's posts? To start over would cause those who've already worked soooo hard for us an undo burden...just a thought. Hang in there...your quilt will be beautiful!!!
    Old 08-12-2010, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey
    I have taken my time to do the rotary instructions fot those who choose to do rotary cutting. I found it very frustrating not to have them included with the book-that's why I have done it. There are those who choose to do handpiecing and cut out the templates and do everything by hand. I personally think this book was written exclusively for hand piecers-That's MY opinion. There are those that like to paper piece--the only way to get help with that format is to have additional computer software. There are quilters who are very new to quilting and don't understand the terminology. There are quite a few blocks that cannot be rotary cut and need the temlates to complete it. Yes, right now all the different pages can be confusing and a little annoying to get to-- and I think down the road it will be ironed out. So to start all over is a little much. My opinion.
    Honchey, thank you for the rotary cutting instructions. I used those you provided early on for blocks 1 and 2. I've gotten a bit ahead and done some on my own because I'll be out for town for the next three weeks and didn't want to get left behind. Very true -- I had to use templates for some of the blocks, but that really wasn't a problem for me. Used the templates to rotary cut the pieces. Again, thanks for your hard work on this. And, also my opinion, starting over is not an option.
    Old 08-12-2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey
    I have taken my time to do the rotary instructions for those who choose to do rotary cutting. I found it very frustrating not to have them included with the book-that's why I have done it.
    I have found those quite useful, thank you, Maribeth
    Old 08-12-2010, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Evie
    Honchey, thank you for the rotary cutting instructions. I used those you provided early on for blocks 1 and 2. I've gotten a bit ahead and done some on my own because I'll be out for town for the next three weeks and didn't want to get left behind. Very true -- I had to use templates for some of the blocks, but that really wasn't a problem for me. Used the templates to rotary cut the pieces. Again, thanks for your hard work on this. And, also my opinion, starting over is not an option.
    Except for the out-of-town part, ditto, Evie. Thanks lots, Honchey! I cut out the paper pieces, make sure they do indeed made a 6-1/2" square and then I use them as guides when I rotary cut.
    Old 08-12-2010, 01:52 PM
    Administrator

1. If you refer to the Virtual Section (link is at the bottom of this page) you will find a nicely organized list of the topics related to this event.

2. The only way to make sure every comment stays in its "proper" place would be to delete every comment that's accidentally put in the "wrong" pace. I think that would suck the fun out of it for most people in about 2 seconds flat. We are a casual, fun loving and - apparently - rebellious bunch. a reminder that this topic is for blocks 1 & 2 was followed immediately by a comment about a future block. Human Beings. What'cha gonna do with 'em? :lol:

3. The book comes with a CD. All the templates are on the CD. There are no known errors in the templates on the CD. The few errors we know about are in the templates available at the external website. (link provided in the announcement topic.)

4. All the tutorials and extra instructions (such as those for rotary cutting) are provided by volunteers. (and, by the way, those templates are good for more than hand piecing. i use them as guides for rotary cutting in preparation for machine piecing. that's easier to me than measuring.)

5. Each week will begin separate discussion and photo topics for that week's blocks. if you refer to those topics when the time comes, i'm sure lots of useful information will be shared and repeated.

6. Take each week as it comes. We aren't trying to slow down the speedy folks who are already far ahead. They aren't trying to convince us to move faster. We are all working at our own pace. As self-appointed Chairperson of the Slackers Subcommittee, i still haven't even picked out my fabrics for the first two blocks. :lol:

Breeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeath deeply and Chillaaaaaax. it'll all work out. cross my heart. ;-)