Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • The Farmer's Wife Quilt -Along, Discussion Page for Blocks 1 &  2 >
  • The Farmer's Wife Quilt -Along, Discussion Page for Blocks 1 & 2

• The Farmer's Wife Quilt -Along, Discussion Page for Blocks 1 & 2

Old 08-12-2010, 09:36 PM

Sorry for confusing you all about the blocks I have started and had a problem with. I am using the templates from the cd that came with the book and found that templates 6 and 9 do not make for a block that will create a 6.5 block when sewn together as the the 9 templte is only 3 inches and this is one half of a side piece. I only needed help with this and not to confuse you all.

Thanks for the help I have recieved. I do also hav a problem with another block but will leave that and do again when advice is given. I did not know of the special help for cutting was on the group as I only joined this week.
    Margaret
    Old 08-12-2010, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Qbird
    I am putting my blocks in plastic sleeves in a binder to keep them flat , using Kansas troubles and that type of fabric, will sash it in brown. (got to get back to work or I won't get 49 done before supper!!

:lol: :lol:
    I've also been putting my blocks in plastic sleeves in a binder to keep them flat. They're in the same sleeve as the printout of the templates that I got from LaurieAaron's blog. So far I have only the first 50 blocks printed out and 18 blocks done. When I get the first 50 done, I plan on putting them into a box and refilling the binder with the next 50.
    Old 08-12-2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Margaret J
    Sorry for confusing you all about the blocks I have started and had a problem with. I am using the templates from the cd that came with the book and found that templates 6 and 9 do not make for a block that will create a 6.5 block when sewn together as the the 9 templte is only 3 inches and this is one half of a side piece. I only needed help with this and not to confuse you all.

Thanks for the help I have recieved. I do also hav a problem with another block but will leave that and do again when advice is given. I did not know of the special help for cutting was on the group as I only joined this week.
    Margaret
    Margaret, with the seam allowances, those pieces are 3.5 inches long, so they are the correct size. Did you perhaps cut the seam allowances off your paper templates? Or did you not have your printer set to print "actual size"? There must be some reason that yours are not right and I'm only nagging so that we can discover what it is and hopefully keep it from happening again.
    Old 08-12-2010, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by weezie
    Originally Posted by Margaret J

Margaret
    Margaret, with the seam allowances, those pieces are 3.5 inches long, so they are the correct size. Did you perhaps cut the seam allowances off your paper templates? Or did you not have your printer set to print "actual size"? There must be some reason that yours are not right and I'm only nagging so that we can discover what it is and hopefully keep it from happening again.
    Hi, margaret is using a program on her cp for the templates to print on 1 page. I think when it transfers the template it's losing the seam allowance somewhere. i just told her about the website that has that information for her to download where the templates for a block are on 1 page. I think she will be ok now.

ALSO, I didn't realize that on the Farmers Wife Sampler Quilt website they have the download for the templates on 1 page. Block #3 Baskets had a #4 template which is a triangle on the page--- but in the book it is shown as a light #7 which goes with the rectangle.--- In the book, the dark #7 template is supposed to go to a square .-- that template is marked #4 but on the page with all the templates listed there is no template for it.---
    In doing the Rotary cutting instructions I didn't refer to the templates as I could figure them out without using them as a reference. When I first went thru the book and the templates several weeks ago I noticed that but I totally forgot all about it.
    Old 08-12-2010, 11:02 PM

Thanks Weezie

I did not check my printer was set to actual size but as I had printed out many of the templates using the same method and not having any problems apart from these ones as far as I know I had not thought to question this. It does seem strange that the first lot of templates and even the template 5 for this block are correct as was template 4 even template 7 seems ok it is just 6 and 9. I think the author should have put measurements with the templates.
    Margaret
    Old 08-12-2010, 11:48 PM
    Administrator

Laurie (the author) is really great about communicating with the users of her book. she even has a blog and a yahoo site dedicated to it. she's been listening to all the feedback from the first edition. the second edition, coming out early next year, will incorporate some of the suggestions she's received.

i'm not sure exactly how far along she is toward publication. if you send her an email through her blog site, and if she has time to work them in, she might incorporate your suggestion, too. :-)
    Old 08-13-2010, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Suzanne57
    Originally Posted by Qbird
    I am putting my blocks in plastic sleeves in a binder to keep them flat , using Kansas troubles and that type of fabric, will sash it in brown. (got to get back to work or I won't get 49 done before supper!!

:lol: :lol:
    I've also been putting my blocks in plastic sleeves in a binder to keep them flat. They're in the same sleeve as the printout of the templates that I got from LaurieAaron's blog. So far I have only the first 50 blocks printed out and 18 blocks done. When I get the first 50 done, I plan on putting them into a box and refilling the binder with the next 50.
    sounds like we think alike, it is working well for me, right now I have 25 of them on the design wall, but today will put them in the binder, while I work on the next 25. Life is good!
    Old 08-13-2010, 07:37 AM

Patrice & AkAngel: Thanks so much for clearing things up I've never done anything like this before & I appreciate your suggestions!!!
    Old 08-13-2010, 08:36 AM
    Administrator

thanks for the compliment! :-)
    Old 08-13-2010, 09:17 AM

We are here to help......of course sometimes we need more help than we can offer...lol
    Muriel