Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • The Farmer's Wife Quilt -Along, Discussion Page for Blocks 1 &  2 >
  • The Farmer's Wife Quilt -Along, Discussion Page for Blocks 1 & 2

• The Farmer's Wife Quilt -Along, Discussion Page for Blocks 1 & 2

Old 08-05-2010, 07:25 AM

Ok, that me see if I can answer this color question. I sometime confuse some of the terms so I will try to keep it simple.
    There are 2 basic types of scrappy One we'll refer to as controlled scrappy. In this form you might have a common fabric, say the background color might be the same throughout
    well the rest would be "scrappy"a wide variety of colors, prints through out your blocks. I might be wrong on this one but I'm sure someone here will catch it and explain if I am. Another form of a controlled scrappy might be where you have 2 color families ex: cream and red or blue and white, but you have MANY shades, hues, tones (like I said I confuse which is which) of each within the quilt so on the whole your only working with 2 colors throughout but a large variety of those 2 colors.
    Or there is a total scrappy and here you might have a much wider range of fabric. Here Contrast is key, When I speak of contrast I mean light and dark. One way quilters make these scrappy type quilts is to take their fabric pieces and simply place them in a bag or bin separated by light (whites,creams, nuetrals, pastels and lightest shades of various colors) and another bag or bin with their mediums and darks and when its time to assemble the pieces they pull
    one from each bin and sew them together Without trying to
    match, just put them together the way you pull them. This may seem odd at first but in the end you end up with the fantastic Contrast that make scrappy quilts so attractive.
    I hope this helps a little. I know many have trouble with
    colors so this was a great question, one we will probably address again when the FAQ page is up
    Muriel
    Old 08-05-2010, 07:48 AM

SO excited! I just had to tell ya'll this. I am making 4 flower girl dresses - yes that's right 4 it's a lot of dress making and it's a Vogue pattern too boot. And I am doing it for free for a friend (one of my longest held close friendships) - I am not complaining about that at all I love her and she's never been married and finally found Mr Right so I am very happy for her...

Here's why I am excited. She asked/hinted that I should not purchase the Farmer's Wife Book! We'd had to go to the fabric store to get the zippers, and lining fabric and I saw the book commented on how I want to get it but...I will soon be able to start working on these blocks!!!
    Old 08-05-2010, 07:51 AM

Happy to have you come along with us and what great timing.
    I hope you will share a picture of the flower girls dresses when complete.
    Muriel
    Old 08-05-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by deranged_damsel
    Originally Posted by Kooklabell
    Ok, I have two seams sewn on piece one/rotary cutting. How do I iron the seams? Toward dark, toward center, open ?? I don't want to mess up right from the start.
    with something this small I would press open.

finger pressing works well with small pieces!
    Please excuse my ignorance, but why should we press open? I like to have the seams going different directions to help line up the points, would I be able to do that if I press open?
    Old 08-05-2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by deranged_damsel
    Fryguymoore I LOVE the block in your avitar pic! I saw that pattern in my quilt magazine and tossed it into the "someday" pile!

:D it looks awesome! :D
    Thanks, I just made it last night. I think it would be pretty easy to make if you paper piece it. I just used a ruler and added an inch each time and it wasn't too bad. I wasted so much fabric by not using templates though.
    Old 08-05-2010, 08:49 AM

I feel that the only time to open a seam is to reduce the bulk or the seam REFUSES to lay flat after pressing. Pressing the seam to the dark side is always recommended, the seams intersect better , one going left the other going right. when you press the seams open it weakens it. That's what I've been told. Anne
    Old 08-05-2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by AkAngel
    Ok, that me see if I can answer this color question. I sometime confuse some of the terms so I will try to keep it simple.
    There are 2 basic types of scrappy One we'll refer to as controlled scrappy. In this form you might have a common fabric, say the background color might be the same throughout
    well the rest would be "scrappy"a wide variety of colors, prints through out your blocks. I might be wrong on this one but I'm sure someone here will catch it and explain if I am. Another form of a controlled scrappy might be where you have 2 color families ex: cream and red or blue and white, but you have MANY shades, hues, tones (like I said I confuse which is which) of each within the quilt so on the whole your only working with 2 colors throughout but a large variety of those 2 colors.
    Or there is a total scrappy and here you might have a much wider range of fabric. Here Contrast is key, When I speak of contrast I mean light and dark. One way quilters make these scrappy type quilts is to take their fabric pieces and simply place them in a bag or bin separated by light (whites,creams, nuetrals, pastels and lightest shades of various colors) and another bag or bin with their mediums and darks and when its time to assemble the pieces they pull
    one from each bin and sew them together Without trying to
    match, just put them together the way you pull them. This may seem odd at first but in the end you end up with the fantastic Contrast that make scrappy quilts so attractive.
    I hope this helps a little. I know many have trouble with
    colors so this was a great question, one we will probably address again when the FAQ page is up
    Muriel
    Thanks. I guess I thought scrappy meant "only using your scraps." I was really wrong!!!! I have no stash or scraps so I had to buy all the fabric for this quilt. I bought half dark purples and browns and half very light colors, almost white. I have over 40 fabrics. My quilt seams a lot like the one you describe with only darks and lights where I could just grab out two colors and go with that. Instead, I sit for a looooooong time and choose the very best choices of color combinations. The thing is that everyone of my blocks is going to be next to another block they may not match it as perfectly.

If I really could just grab fabric without looking I could alliviate a lot of stress and cut my quilting time in half. I have a lot of time and fabric, so I will give it a try. Thanks.
    Old 08-05-2010, 09:41 AM

We all have to start somewhere, scrappy quilts are a great way to Use up the stash you have for sure. But if you don't have a stash to pull from you can still make your quilt very scrappy looking, it simply means you will have to purchase it all (small increments are great here) or trade with others. Sounds like you are off to a great start. Yes, the method of pulling from a light and a dark sounds like it will give you the contrast I was talking about with what you have.
    Check out your thrift stores. I know many that get a lot of their fabrics from there either because someone has donated fabric or because the buy cotton shirts and cut those and use the. I have not tried cutting shirts but its a great way to re-cycle and again build a stash with less expense.
    Have fun creating,
    Muriel
    Old 08-05-2010, 09:58 AM

Ok, I have a question for all you out there, it doesn't have to do specifically with the blocks or quilt per say.

I would like to know if there is a way I can tag, or mark a comment on a page so I can find it easier at a later date.

Just like Honcheys explanation for the seams, I would like to add that to our tutorials or helpful tips when we get it up as well as have it here on the discussion page.

Is there a way I can mark that so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle and come back to it easily when I get that page created?
    Muriel
    Old 08-05-2010, 10:03 AM

Hi Muriel, I would try to copy and then paste it in the thread you want in the reply box. I'm not sure if that will work but it wouldn't hurt to try.