Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • The Farmer's Wife Quilt-Along Discussion Page for Week  6--Blocks 11 & 12 >
  • The Farmer's Wife Quilt-Along Discussion Page for Week 6--Blocks 11 & 12

• The Farmer's Wife Quilt-Along Discussion Page for Week 6--Blocks 11 & 12

Old 09-11-2010, 08:49 PM

Omigosh Honchey! You're amazing! That technique is amazing! I've been paper piecing my blocks and it takes a lot of set up because mostly I'm having to draw them in Quilt Assistant. I don't have EQ. I'm trying your method, it is going to be terrific!
    Old 09-12-2010, 05:34 AM

Honchey, you are a genius! I'm going to go try that right now. I just got a new roll of freezer paper yesterday, one of the big ones.

I love you, Honchey! You are always finding new and improved ways to help me!
    Old 09-12-2010, 07:19 AM

Honchey, thanks for the tute! In essence, you've turned the templates into a paper piecing method...cool! So, because I have EQ and drawing isn't a problem, if I were to print on freezer paper sheets, I would have the same stability regarding bias's if I iron my fabric over my pattern pieces...hmmm may have to try that and see if it's even more accurate than regular paper piecing...thanks for the thought process you've gone to to do this!
    Old 09-12-2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by rwquilts
    Honchey, thanks for the tute! In essence, you've turned the templates into a paper piecing method...cool! So, because I have EQ and drawing isn't a problem, if I were to print on freezer paper sheets, I would have the same stability regarding bias's if I iron my fabric over my pattern pieces...hmmm may have to try that and see if it's even more accurate than regular paper piecing...thanks for the thought process you've gone to to do this!
    I inherited whatever makes me try to figure things out to be easier to do--from my Dad-both my sister and I have his mathmatical brain know how.

I did make cardboard templates of the most used and traced around on the freezer paper in and around the printed ones so you won't waste any of the freezer paper. You can also trace a bunch of templates on regular paper then copy to freezer paper--this way when you need more of any one template all you have to do is just make a copy.

What I don't like about paper piecing the normal way is there is too much wasted fabric and I get confused about the amount for flipping over the reverse. I end up cutting fabric the wrong way.

With how I did this block the only thing you have to worry about is pulling threads from the allowance when removing the paper corners.
    Old 09-12-2010, 08:35 PM

I couldn't get to my computer so I drafted and tried to figure out the proper sewing sequence. It took me hours!!! What a pain. I'm going to give this a try. Million of thanks.
    Originally Posted by Quilting Nonnie
    Omigosh Honchey! You're amazing! That technique is amazing! I've been paper piecing my blocks and it takes a lot of set up because mostly I'm having to draw them in Quilt Assistant. I don't have EQ. I'm trying your method, it is going to be terrific!
    Old 09-12-2010, 08:41 PM

Okay dumb question, but my little brain in fried. How are you copying onto freezer paper?
    Originally Posted by Honchey
    Originally Posted by Honchey
    Originally Posted by stefanib123
    OMG! Did you guys see the new book on Lauries blog! Its going to be awesome!

Here's a link I made to it:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-64174-1.htm

Its going to be essays from kids! In 1915, the Farmers Wife magazine ran a contest for kids to win a pony, and from what she has on her blog, the stories are great!
    Did you read the small blue print at the bootom of the front cover???

It has templates, foundation patterns and
    " ROTARY CUTTING INSTRUCTIONS"
    I know I'm going to enjoy doing this one !!!
    Stefanie, Do you remember that I told you that I was trying something different with the piecing and paper templates? It works like a charm. It does take more work in the beginning but it's almost worry free. I copy the templates of all the pieces I need in a block onto freezer paper--I then cut them rough cut and press onto the fabric-then I trim to size-the seam allowance is included- I sew the pieces together, paper and all. when I have to join another section I will remove the paper from the intersection so that I don't have to pick it out later and the seam that is folded under has to ber removed.also. I just pieced block #15 and there was no stretching of all the bias sides. I have taken photos to show. If you thought my blocks were good before--Watch Out!!! They will even be better doing it this way! :XD: :XD:
    Old 09-12-2010, 09:30 PM

Head of the class I go for being a slacker. Didn't get my blocks done today. Way too much homework and too many tests this week. I'm beat, but will work on them later this week.

Honchey, great tut. I may have to try that.

Nite all.
    Old 09-13-2010, 05:32 AM

You can cut your freezer paper into 8 1/2" x 11" sheets and feed them into your paper tray, putting the paper in so you print on the dull side, or you can also buy freezer paper sheets and trim them to the right size and print on them as regular paper. Give it a try!
    Old 09-13-2010, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by rwquilts
    You can cut your freezer paper into 8 1/2" x 11" sheets and feed them into your paper tray, putting the paper in so you print on the dull side, or you can also buy freezer paper sheets and trim them to the right size and print on them as regular paper. Give it a try!
    The download for the FWS blocks that has all the templates for the block on one page. You copy that to freezer paper.
    I also took the templates( for example# 13 & #7) then traced them on regular paper. I fit as many as I could on one page then I copied that onto freezer paper. Keep the original for future copying. Do this for as many templates as you need.

It does take some extra time and effort but I feel better doing it this way as I know the seam allowances will be correct and straight. You do have to remove the corners so the paper won't be in the folded over sewn seams. Stefanie's chart of how many templates are repeated would be very hany as a refrence to how many you would need for each one.

I don't waste any part of the freezer paper that can be used for templates after cutting them out. It doesn't take that long to trace a couple of templates onto the scrap parts of the freezer paper. I wish there was an easier way to do this--but I haven't figured it out yet.
    Old 09-18-2010, 06:25 AM

Is this week's pic's in the Virtual secction? I don't seem to find it there