Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • The Farmer's Wife Sampler, photo page for Week 2 , Blocks 3 and 4 >
  • The Farmer's Wife Sampler, photo page for Week 2 , Blocks 3 and 4

• The Farmer's Wife Sampler, photo page for Week 2 , Blocks 3 and 4

Old 08-14-2010, 06:09 PM

Jan, your scrappy will be the prettiest one of all I bet.

Maybe you should make a control block as well as scrappy. Feed both ambitions if you will.
    Old 08-14-2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
    Linda I really like your blocks. I wish I would have gone with more of a color scheme; this srappy stuff is killing me. I love the blues you chose-great job.
    You might be struggling to come up with fabric matches that you like, but I think your blocks 1, 2, 3, & 4 are all great looking. You must be doing something right!

I don't have a fabric match problem, but I don't paper piece (I have done, but not crazy about it or good at it) and some of these blocks are driving me insane ... I spent so much time working on block 7, I guess I need to re-think the PP option.
    Old 08-14-2010, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by weezie
    Linda I really like your blocks. I wish I would have gone with more of a color scheme; this srappy stuff is killing me. I love the blues you chose-great job.
    You might be struggling to come up with fabric matches that you like, but I think your blocks 1, 2, 3, & 4 are all great looking. You must be doing something right!

I don't have a fabric match problem, but I don't paper piece (I have done, but not crazy about it or good at it) and some of these blocks are driving me insane ... I spent so much time working on block 7, I guess I need to re-think the PP option.
    The first # 7 I did finally came out great but it was 6" not 6.5". So I made another one trimed up each individual square, then did each row, measured,pressed, pinned took my time doing it. squared up each 1/4 block square and it came out better and I wasn't so agrivated the second time around. there's no forgiveness in blocks this small.
    Old 08-14-2010, 07:23 PM

Thanks Jan
    Old 08-14-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey
    The first # 7 I did finally came out great but it was 6" not 6.5". So I made another one trimed up each individual square, then did each row, measured,pressed, pinned took my time doing it. squared up each 1/4 block square and it came out better and I wasn't so agrivated the second time around. there's no forgiveness in blocks this small.
    I recollect that you posted a picture of your 6" "birds in the air" block and, yes, it was very nice. What a bummer!

I have 1 final seam to sew on #7; then if it's FINALLY right, I'll press and trim (hopefully tomorrow). The thing is: block #26 (Cut Glass Dish) is the same sort, only more of the stinkin' little triangles. Of the 111 blocks, there may be more blocks like that, but I went into a sort of shock when I looked at block 26 and stopped flipping pages. I had already seen all the blocks when I read the book a few weeks ago, but now that I'm constructing them, I'm looking at them in a whole new light ... an I'm not liking some of them at all!
    Old 08-14-2010, 07:29 PM

I enjoy looking at everyone's lovely blocks. You are all doing such a great job. Wish I had the time to join you.
    Old 08-14-2010, 08:23 PM

I recollect that you posted a picture of your 6" "birds in the air" block and, yes, it was very nice. What a bummer!

I have 1 final seam to sew on #7; then if it's FINALLY right, I'll press and trim (hopefully tomorrow). The thing is: block #26 (Cut Glass Dish) is the same sort, only more of the stinkin' little triangles. Of the 111 blocks, there may be more blocks like that, but I went into a sort of shock when I looked at block 26 and stopped flipping pages. I had already seen all the blocks when I read the book a few weeks ago, but now that I'm constructing them, I'm looking at them in a whole new light ... an I'm not liking some of them at all!
    Ummmmmmm. this isn't too bad. you're working with sets of 4. Even with the 2 sets of 4 going into 8. getting the 4 squared up is the part that HAS to be done. when you cut for these little triangles cut just a little bigger. open them up after sewing. try not to stretch them when pressing. You can see immediately if they are wonky or out of square. If you are sewing exact precisely cut pieces and then go over the 1/4 " seam allowance or sew crooked seams( like I do)-- then open them and they are not square--you have nothing to trim off to make them square. After I sew all these little buggers and then press them open--I sit down with a piece of cardboard that I cut to the size I need. I put the cardboard square on the fabric piece hold them between my thumb and fingers then trim around with little scissors. That's how I do it. I pin them together matching the seams at the point. I also pin with the grain of fabric . I have to stop. I'm rambling on. Need to go get a snack.
    Old 08-14-2010, 08:42 PM

I'm watching. Great blocks so far. I'm not participating right now, but I am keeping up with everyone else's work. Maybe one day I can jump in and give it a try. You all are doing a fantastic job. Keep up the good work.
    Old 08-14-2010, 09:27 PM

Ummmmmmm. this isn't too bad. you're working with sets of 4. Even with the 2 sets of 4 going into 8. getting the 4 squared up is the part that HAS to be done. when you cut for these little triangles cut just a little bigger. open them up after sewing. try not to stretch them when pressing. You can see immediately if they are wonky or out of square. If you are sewing exact precisely cut pieces and then go over the 1/4 " seam allowance or sew crooked seams( like I do)-- then open them and they are not square--you have nothing to trim off to make them square. After I sew all these little buggers and then press them open--I sit down with a piece of cardboard that I cut to the size I need. I put the cardboard square on the fabric piece hold them between my thumb and fingers then trim around with little scissors. That's how I do it. I pin them together matching the seams at the point. I also pin with the grain of fabric . I have to stop. I'm rambling on. Need to go get a snack.
    Oooh, excellent idea with the cardboard. My little vinyl ruler serves me well as a measuring tool, but using a cardboard template that I can trim around sounds like a great plan for me to borrow from you. Thank you!
    Old 08-14-2010, 10:25 PM

I don't paper piece well but I think this is one that definetly needs to be paper pieced. Was a real bugger to get done!