Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • Farmers Wife week 4 Blocks 7&8 photos >
  • Farmers Wife week 4 Blocks 7&8 photos

• Farmers Wife week 4 Blocks 7&8 photos

Old 08-28-2010, 04:39 AM

I checked out the Farmers Wife from the library. The templet patterns one of you prepared by block are great and therefore you don't need the CD, which just prints one templet per page and not organized by block.
    I have been pinning my pieces on a styrofoam block about 10" square before sewing the pieces and it has really helped me organize the block.
    Violet
    Old 08-28-2010, 04:41 AM

Really nice fabric and good job.
    Violet
    Old 08-28-2010, 07:17 AM

Nice blocks, Violet!

I understand completely the value of your styrofoam board. I've been using a felt covered styrofoam rectangle for many years; it has been one of my favorite quilting "tools"; in fact, I made a second one when I started this FWSQ so I can do 4 blocks at a time. Until I'm ready to actually sew, I keep the block pieces laid out & pinned to the foam boards or I get confused when I go to put the block together correctly. When I finish a block, being able to pin it to the foam board also helps me to know that I have all seam allowances going in the "right" directions and if the measurements of the blocks & block components are accurate. Additionally, my cutting/work table is downstairs and my primary sewing machine is upstairs, so I carry my little foam boards with the pieces pinned on up & downstairs.

Sorry to run on & on, but I'm a BIG fan of this inexpensive "tool".
    Old 08-28-2010, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by violetsfarm
    I checked out the Farmers Wife from the library. The templet patterns one of you prepared by block are great and therefore you don't need the CD, which just prints one templet per page and not organized by block.
    I have been pinning my pieces on a styrofoam block about 10" square before sewing the pieces and it has really helped me organize the block.
    Violet
    Oh! thats a great idea!
    Old 08-28-2010, 10:34 AM

her is #8
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-106229.jpe  
    Old 08-28-2010, 02:57 PM

pretty block
    Old 08-28-2010, 06:49 PM

I am so far behind. LOL
    But have most of the class stuff done, so I can get back to working on this project.
    Still need to post pics of the blocks I have finished.

But they are all looking very good.

Pati, in Phx
    Old 08-28-2010, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by weezie
    Nice blocks, Violet!

I understand completely the value of your styrofoam board. I've been using a felt covered styrofoam rectangle for many years; it has been one of my favorite quilting "tools"; in fact, I made a second one when I started this FWSQ so I can do 4 blocks at a time. Until I'm ready to actually sew, I keep the block pieces laid out & pinned to the foam boards or I get confused when I go to put the block together correctly. When I finish a block, being able to pin it to the foam board also helps me to know that I have all seam allowances going in the "right" directions and if the measurements of the blocks & block components are accurate. Additionally, my cutting/work table is downstairs and my primary sewing machine is upstairs, so I carry my little foam boards with the pieces pinned on up & downstairs.

Do you have a photo of this "block" could you possibly post it.

I love gadgets and anything that helps the process of getting the blocks done as they are supposed to look.
    Old 08-28-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey
    Originally Posted by weezie
    Nice blocks, Violet!

Do you have a photo of this "block" could you possibly post it.

I love gadgets and anything that helps the process of getting the blocks done as they are supposed to look.
    Honchey, it's just a 1" thick piece of styrofoam wrapped with white felt, that I secured on the back with wide packing tape. (I used to buy yards of felt back in the days when I made stuffed dolls & critters, so I already had that here.) You can see it on page 11 of the blocks 1&2 photo thread ... my blocks are sitting on it. I don't even know where I got the styrofoam, but I suspect it was packing (as in a small appliance box). Not only can you stick straight pins in it, but with the felt covering, fabric sticks to it in the same way as to a design wall. The piece in the photo with my blocks 1&2 on it is 19" x 13-1/2" and the one I made the other day is 13-1/2" square, both comfortable sizes for my needs, but, as I said, they were just packing material ... I did not choose the sizes.
    Old 08-29-2010, 04:15 AM

I caught up with you guys! I found that bouquet was more difficult than birds in the air. . .

Birds in the Air
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]106648[/ATTACH]

Bouquet
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]106649[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-106643.jpe   attachment-106644.jpe