Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • The FWS 30"s Quilt-Along  Week 1  Blocks-Addie  & Aimee >
  • The FWS 30"s Quilt-Along Week 1 Blocks-Addie & Aimee

• The FWS 30"s Quilt-Along Week 1 Blocks-Addie & Aimee

Old 08-05-2015, 04:58 PM

Jan, I have the red clips and love them! Why didn't I think to use them for this? I thought I was the only one who struggled with pinning, and I am getting better at it after doing these two blocks. But on the next one, yes, I'm definitely trying the clips instead.
    Old 08-05-2015, 06:35 PM

Ok here are my 2. That Aimee was a bear lol....I am making 10 inch blocks. I find it is easier for me and I am really enjoying these blocks. The Aimee block, I don't know what I did and I was so careful but somehow I lost a half inch somewhere all around the block, so I will have to add a frame around it later but that is ok, it will just be different. I am going for a 80x120 size for a twin. Thank you Honchy for doing this.
    Attached Thumbnails dsci0018.jpg   dsci0019.jpg  

Last edited by Rosyhf; 08-05-2015 at 06:37 PM.
    Old 08-05-2015, 09:00 PM

Rosy, the blocks are so pretty in floral fabric.. How are you enlarging the patterns?
    Old 08-05-2015, 09:22 PM

Another group of beautiful blocks. Great job!

Rosy - your Aimee is wonderful! I love it - floral, solid and batik! Anything goes with these blocks!
    Old 08-06-2015, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Honchey
    Rosy, the blocks are so pretty in floral fabric.. How are you enlarging the patterns?
    Honchey, I look up the block in Block Base and then just select the size I want and print. If I can't find the block because of the name, I scan it into Adobe Photo shop and enlarge it there. I have tried doing the 6 ins blocks with the other Farmer's wife and Dear Jane but just can't do it lol. I can do a few if I need a few small blocks to finish a project but not a whole lot of them. I just like big, maybe it's because I am only 5 ft tall lol.
    Old 08-06-2015, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by JeanieG
    Another group of beautiful blocks. Great job!

Rosy - your Aimee is wonderful! I love it - floral, solid and batik! Anything goes with these blocks!
    Thanks Jeanie, I did pull out the rest of my aunt gracie but there was not much to get excited about. I have made two king size plus two throws out of them. I like to be able to choose a lot, so that little pile will be donated. I have all these lovely florals left over from the last floral quilt that I made (clever quarters). I figured I would just use those and add batiks or whatever. Yes, these blocks will look good with anything really.
    Old 08-06-2015, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
    Cooky, to make it easier, instead of pins use the little red Clover Clips. Still use a pin to find the point then put a clip on either side of the pin, remove pin, add more clips if seam is long then sew. The clips will slip off as you get to them. Pins can too easily distort the fabric & paper (not to mention sticking your finger). I got slammed on another thread because someone thought the clips are an expensive waste of money. My response to that: "bleep". If I get the desired results and find an easier way to do it it's worth the money. I got a box of the clips on Amazon for under $20; you can get some at Joanne's with a coupon for less than $10. Just a suggestion to make paper piecing easier and more enjoyable!
    Jan, I googled those clips to see what they looked like and if I could use them, oh yes, I could. I will wait for my Joann coupon and go get them, thanks. I love anything new that helps.
    Old 08-06-2015, 07:13 AM

They also make great cat toys... Every now and then I have to look under the couch to retrieve all of my clips. Sigh. No progress on the fw blocks last night, but lots on the baby quilt. might set that aside for tonight to do some work on Addie though.
    Old 08-06-2015, 08:23 AM

husky, you're still right on schedule as we don't show the next two blocks until the 11th. I'm tempted to start on the them now, but have to be a grown-up and do some machine maintenance first.
    Old 08-06-2015, 08:46 AM

Rosy, I agree; Aimee was a bear! But here she is to join Addie. The colors look brighter here, but the red and blue are the same fabric in all the red/yellow/blue blocks I'll be doing. The calico is vintage on this one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]527082[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails fw-2-640-hor.jpg