Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • The FWS 30"s Quilt-Along  Week 1  Blocks-Addie  & Aimee >
  • The FWS 30"s Quilt-Along Week 1 Blocks-Addie & Aimee

• The FWS 30"s Quilt-Along Week 1 Blocks-Addie & Aimee

Old 08-06-2015, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by grandme26
    Addie is done and will do the next one tomorrow.
    No sewing today. Had an appointment with my new best friend. An Oncologist . Choose a treatment course for the breast cancer but the PET scan picked up a very small tumor in my lower lobe of the Left lung. Waiting for appointment for a needle biopsy now. Piecing these blocks and others will keep my mind off all else. I can really get lost in my fabrics.
    Oh dear... I'm sending you some good wishes!
    Old 08-06-2015, 01:29 PM

I'd like to also send prayers and good wishes to gramdme26!
    Old 08-06-2015, 01:36 PM

Since this is my first time joining a sew along club like this, I am having a heck of a time. Aimee is so confusing. I don't understand how the alphabet for one step changes at the next step. Those tiny guideline directions say to connect "B" to "A", and so on. B and A can't go together because they meet at their points. I have been at this for quite a while, and I think I can put the block together "my" way. There just does not appear to have enough instructions. Am I missing something??????
    Old 08-06-2015, 01:37 PM

Well, I have run out of excuses, so I will post my first two...wrong side and right side as it might help some one out there struggling with the blocks....I do use the templates, punch out the light cardboard to show the seam allowances, cut out the pieces and use them in paper piecing to sew on back wards to most folks way of thinking...gut it works for me.[ATTACH=CONFIG]527113[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]527114[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]527115[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]527116[/ATTACH] Good luck to everyone. Loved all the blocks shown on this adventure.
    Attached Thumbnails 2-dscn0192.jpg   2-dscn0188.jpg   2-dscn0190.jpg   2-dscn0189.jpg  
    Old 08-06-2015, 01:40 PM

I letter the puzzle pieces like the book, then a different colored ink for the templates, and different color for the pp, and put it together by sections. JanRn suggested a folder and flip the puzzle over to put it together...seems to work when I tried it.
    Old 08-06-2015, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by JaneH
    Sometimes I think it would be easier to have hand-sewn this! For paper-piecing, do you cut with the seam allowance or cut the actual size? I've never done paper piecing, but saw a few videos on YouTube and would be willing to try it...maybe. Right now, I'm looking at it all in the rubbish bin and have just finished off a nice glass of wine! Tomorrow is another day.
    Jane here is the video I used to learn to PP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2gKMx9CCM
    Old 08-06-2015, 03:14 PM

Grandme, I'll keep you in my prayers. I also find that concentrating on putting the blocks together requires my full attention, and I like that too. I love the print you chose for Addie and can't wait to see the rest of your blocks!
    Old 08-06-2015, 03:15 PM

sweet, I think you're on the right track. I'm also looking at all the pieces, reading what she says to do, and then going right ahead and doing what I want to do. Makes me feel like a rebel!
    Old 08-06-2015, 04:24 PM

Oh Judy (Grandme), many thoughts and prayers for this new challenge. Sorry you have to go through it. I agree that sewing is good therapy for all that tests us.

QuiltingNinaSue, thank you for showing the back of your block. I was going to ask to see one to get an idea of how they should look.

Pretty blocks everyone!
    Old 08-06-2015, 05:09 PM

Sweet, if you place your completed pieces paper side up you can then put them in the order (A to B, AB to C, etc) as shown in the sample. I don't read the directions but look at the order of the sample. I lay them out on a file folder, close it and flip it so it's fabric side up. I can see if I've sewn any pieces wrong (never happens LOL) and fix the mistake before I start to sew the sections together. Is this clear as mud????

What a nice variety of blocks shown--and they're all so nicely done. If any of you are rookies at paper piecing it doesn't show. Great job everyone!