Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • The FWS 30's Quiltalong  Week 22  Block #43 Hope  &  Block #44 Iris >
  • The FWS 30's Quiltalong Week 22 Block #43 Hope & Block #44 Iris

• The FWS 30's Quiltalong Week 22 Block #43 Hope & Block #44 Iris

Old 01-29-2016, 10:17 AM

The layout suggested in the book on page 159 actually cuts four blocks in half for the top and the bottom... blocks number 41, 90, 73, and 23. And it is set on point. Interesting ..right?
    Old 01-29-2016, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue
    The layout suggested in the book on page 159 actually cuts four blocks in half for the top and the bottom... blocks number 41, 90, 73, and 23. And it is set on point. Interesting ..right?
    And I noticed that one of them so far isn't a particularly good one to divide -- I think it was 41 -- so I may put another one in its place.
    Old 01-29-2016, 02:02 PM

Some of these blocks are tough, I PP and have to plan them out and I still sometimes make them backwards??
    Old 01-29-2016, 07:30 PM

Givio, Are you PPing this block? Your background fabric reminds me of my High School days in Biology..little microbes wiggling around the petri dish under the microscope
    Old 01-29-2016, 08:16 PM

Honchey LOL That's too funny! No, I don't paperpiece the blocks. Maybe a couple times near the start I did, but mostly I use the templates. I get annoyed paperpiecing when I attach the next piece at the wrong angle. Even using (I think it was QNS's) tip regarding cutting out the piece of fabric slightly bigger than the template, then paperpiecing it, I still have trouble. I think that was a great tip though! Usually I iron the sewn piece over, and see that I haven't got a good seam allowance or the piece just isn't fitting well. I can paperpiece if I use a larger piece of fabric that's sure to fit-- but then I don't like all the waste (or in my case, all the little scraps) that I cut off to get the piece back down to the seam allowance size.
    Old 01-30-2016, 05:16 AM

Because of seeing with one eye and it is at a reduced rate, I use templates and pp on most blocks. Also mark around the template with gel ink pen on the right side of the fabric. Gel pens are used in scrap booking, and flow well on fabric. I do punch a hole where the seams meet or cross one another and transfer that to the fabric as well. I place the fabric on the marked side of the pp, and draw lines where I stitch on the back side of the pp pattern. Thus, my Daffodil and Iris block faces the right way in the block. Not sure about the layout used in the book and cutting the four blocks into, 'cause then there's no seam allowance on those blocks cut into.... thinking about that.
    Old 01-30-2016, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue
    Not sure about the layout used in the book and cutting the four blocks into, 'cause then there's no seam allowance on those blocks cut into.... thinking about that.
    My thoughts, too, QNS. The pattern and points would be lost on most of the blocks, especially when they're on the diagonal. A block like Heather (42) would probably divide okay.
    Old 01-30-2016, 07:24 AM

I'm not sure how I will put mine together, but I must say some of these blocks I have cursed out so bad, when I make the pieces and there backwards, I just take a deep breath and start over. No matter how we all decide to put them together I'm sure they'll all be stunning.
    Old 01-30-2016, 08:41 AM

Buddy's mom, don't stress over the "backwards" blocks. I think just about everyone who's participating in this project has agreed that it doesn't matter the least little bit. When your quilt is finished, no one is going to get the book out and compare the picture of a block to your block. In fact, a couple of us have chosen to substitute a block that's not in the book for one they didn't especially like.
    Old 01-30-2016, 09:15 AM

No quilt police here; just enjoy the journey! It's your quilt and never point out any mistakes to anyone!

That is the Quilter's story and I believe in it; also the tooth fairy, Santa Claus, etc. LOL!