Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • The FWS 30's Quiltalong  Week 28 Block 55 Malvina & Block 56 Marcella >
  • The FWS 30's Quiltalong Week 28 Block 55 Malvina & Block 56 Marcella

• The FWS 30's Quiltalong Week 28 Block 55 Malvina & Block 56 Marcella

Old 03-07-2016, 05:13 PM
    Power Poster

This is what makes your quilt special...after a while you will find that certain colors appear and you will be finding a fabric for the settings. Jan is the one to give you pointers as she has done hers with leftovers..
    Originally Posted by JuneBillie
    JanRN I didn't think about how bright the first block was when I did the second one. I just picked out fabrics on the second one, and thought well they look nice together. lol... I guess maybe I should have thought of an over all theme of colors throughout. (need input on that one) The first one reminded me of spring with lots of sun, and the second one I want to call "back roads." Me and my family would always go riding around the back roads, and looking at all the wild rose bushes and other flowers.

Oksewglad, yes I am now on this wonderful journey.
    Old 03-07-2016, 05:40 PM
    Power Poster

Thank you oksewglad.
    Old 03-07-2016, 05:53 PM

Pretty blocks everyone! Susan, you crack me up! Who hasn't done that? I hope you are enjoying yourself. I love this. I know my blocks aren't finished yet but it's only because I have had company and can't spend the time in my sewing room while they are here. I hope to work on the most recent ones on Monday when I have taken a day off work after they leave. I have been taking the opportunity to shop for a few 30's reproduction fabrics to add to my collection.
    Old 03-07-2016, 07:33 PM
    Power Poster

Pam P I promise I am having a great time. lol... I am learning to let go of taking my seams too serious. lol... I also probably expected more out of myself due to my jumping in this far along, but I am also seeing that's ok too. It just means I have a good long time to keep enjoying my new journey.

This process is different than anything I had done before, and it's so exciting. I love getting to see everyone's blocks and all the tips, and most of all the great people here.

Pam P I have a Drs. appointment coming up where I will be passing two nice quilt shops, and I will be wanting to drop in to look around.
    Old 03-08-2016, 05:33 AM

Thanks for the compliment, OK, and yes I am directionally challenged: I can get lost going around the block LOL.

JuneBillie, as for picking colors, I think that is the hardest part of quilting (at least for me). I can look at my quilt wall and almost see the mood I was in when I made a particular block. Some are bright, others dull. In an earlier thread I mentioned that all my blocks can't be Rock Stars, some have to be back-up singers (think Gladys Knight & the Pips). Believe me, I have more Pips than Gladys ever had. In a scrappy quilt I think you need the contrast between bright, dark, print, and solid. Some of my scrappy quilts look like the dog threw up his lunch. Make blocks that you like, go for contrast in the individual block then tie them all together with sashing, corner stones, and borders.

I'm so glad you're having fun. Too many quilters are in a hurry to just get it done. Enjoy the journey--we're glad you're here!
    Old 03-08-2016, 08:55 AM
    Power Poster

JanRN thanks for the tips, and the pips. lol....
    Old 03-17-2016, 07:40 AM

Coming in late again! :-) Here are Malvina and Marcella. I did my own take on the fabric placement for the pattern. I didn't like the large piece in the center of Marcella and decided to cut it into three pieces.

After reading the posts, I imagine a lot of my blocks fit into the 'dog vomit' category, because I use too many prints, and usually not enough plains or contrast. Malvina is an example. :-))) I wanted to use my camping prints, and fit in as many as I could in one block. I love the little pictures, and I like how the block turned out. My husband liked it too, and he's the only critic that I really care about. We thought it was funny. Lots to look at in it.

Susan, I've made 6" blocks using these patterns without cutting off the seams! I hope you use yours in your quilt anyway. You can do them over-- but some of the pieces in some of the blocks are very small, so if you add small borders to get back up to the 6 1/2" unfinished size then they will blend right in.
    Attached Thumbnails marcella2.jpg   malvina2.jpg  
    Old 03-17-2016, 05:12 PM
    Power Poster

Givio, I like what you did. It's special when you have pieces in there that have special meaning to each of us. Thanks for your tips too. The little canoes and paddle are cute down that strip. It's fun looking at all the camping pictures. The second one is equally cute too.
    Old 03-17-2016, 05:21 PM

Love those Givio! The marshmallows with the campfires is too cute!
    Old 03-18-2016, 06:43 AM

Thanks, girls! :-)