Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 12 Cake Stand & Christmas Tree Photo Page >
  • THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 12 Cake Stand & Christmas Tree Photo Page

• THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 12 Cake Stand & Christmas Tree Photo Page

Old 04-22-2012, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by JeanieG
    Oh wow, that happens in Phoenix too!
    How often do they happen in Phoenix??
    Old 04-22-2012, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by dublb
    How often do they happen in Phoenix??
    They had several last year, one while we were there in August.
    Old 04-22-2012, 06:05 PM

Yuck!
    Old 04-22-2012, 08:05 PM
    Power Poster

Thanks City Cousins!!! ... it warms my ♥ to know that you are interested in knowing more about where your food comes from. I'm not sure the stats in the USA, but here in Ontario, farmers represent only about 2% of the population ... and yet, are the 2nd largest contributor to employment in the province, with nearly 1/3 of all jobs being in the agricultural sector!! (direct farm jobs, and indirect ones that would not exist without farm products, etc.)

There's a saying that we often see here, to help remind people of the importance of farmers ....
    "If you ate today, thank a farmer!"
    Old 04-23-2012, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Thanks City Cousins!!! ... it warms my ♥ to know that you are interested in knowing more about where your food comes from. I'm not sure the stats in the USA, but here in Ontario, farmers represent only about 2% of the population ... and yet, are the 2nd largest contributor to employment in the province, with nearly 1/3 of all jobs being in the agricultural sector!! (direct farm jobs, and indirect ones that would not exist without farm products, etc.)

There's a saying that we often see here, to help remind people of the importance of farmers ....
    So true QuiltE.
    Old 05-02-2012, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Not all people know how there food is grown. Some children still think choc milk comes from choc cows.
    One time our daughters were in 3rd & 4th grade, their classes came to our farm to watch how sheep were sheared, the teachers were more interested than the kids. The boys were trying to ride some of the lambs. So we didn't do that an other time.
    Old 05-02-2012, 10:16 AM

My blocks for week 12.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]332403[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 1-misc-017.jpg  
    Old 05-02-2012, 10:41 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by grannyQ
    Not all people know how there food is grown. Some children still think choc milk comes from choc cows.
    One time our daughters were in 3rd & 4th grade, their classes came to our farm to watch how sheep were sheared, the teachers were more interested than the kids. The boys were trying to ride some of the lambs. So we didn't do that an other time.

You are so right!!!!! ... and yet the chocolate milk from brown cows makes sense to them, because brown/red hens lay brown eggs!

ITA re the teachers ... I do a lot of work at our fairs for ag education days ... and it's sometimes frustrating when teachers want to "control" and tell the kids things, and it's all wrong!!!! So then it becomes a difficult thing to tell a teacher they are so off-base in front of the kids! I'm still of the thought that I like to see the kids respect their teachers, and sometimes the teachers make it almost impossible for me to respect them. (with no disrespect to the teachers who will read this!) So often times, I try to ignore the teacher .... and just tell the kids the true story, and engage them in discussions to help them learn and understand.

And too ... there are many phenomenal children, adults and teachers, who come our way, admit their ignorance and willingly learn ... and give great accolades to the farmers for what they do to provide them their food! Now those people ... make it all worthwhile!

*sigh* ..... gotta love those blues!
    Old 05-02-2012, 03:43 PM
    Power Poster

Another sigh from Iowa. Between you and mirabelle's blues I've been sighing alot too.
    Old 05-02-2012, 05:18 PM

GrannyQ - Are ya PP or using templates? Your blocks have got me singin' the blues!