Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Wk 13  Clover Leaf & Captain's Wheel Photo Page >
  • The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Wk 13 Clover Leaf & Captain's Wheel Photo Page

• The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Wk 13 Clover Leaf & Captain's Wheel Photo Page

Old 04-07-2012, 06:34 AM

So I have a question...I have my sashing and just need to order more fabric for my cornerstones (but know what I am using). If I am going to start adding to my blocks, at what point would you take off the paper?? Do you do it when each block is finished? After adding the sashing/cornerstones? After assembling each row? Or after finishing the whole top??? As you can see I have never pp'd before, so not sure what the "right way" to do it is. I am sure there are lots of ways, so if you can tell my what you do that would be great!

Thanks,
    Carrie
    Old 04-07-2012, 08:12 AM

Carrie good for you on knowing what sashing and cornerstones you're using!
    I'm doing my PC QAYG so I take the papers off when I finish the individual block and pin it to the piece of batting I'm going to use. I know this doesn't really answer your question. When I did my Storm at Sea wallhanging I removed the paper just from the seam allowances then sewed the whole top together and added the borders. I removed all the rest of the papers when I was ready to sandwich. Now, this was only 30" square and it was a little awkward. I'm not sure how a giant monster like PC would handle if you left the papers in. Great question (which I didn't answer) so I'll be watching this post with you!
    Old 04-07-2012, 08:24 AM
    Power Poster

I don't think there is "one" right way ... everyone has their own twist!

When I did the FWS, I removed all the paper once I finished each block. Squared it up and pressed it well with a shot or two of starch! Made for real nice flat blocks. Plus the starch also prevents a lot of the fraying you get as you handle the blocks. I just knew there was no way I wanted to have the "chore" of doing them all at the end. I've been doing the same for PC.

I know some prefer to leave the paper around the outside edge on til they join all together. It's a good stabilizer, so I see the point. For me, I feel that the starch did that job.

Will be interested to see what others do!

CarrieM ... before you get too far with your sashing/cornerstones ... have you calculated the amount you need for the borders and binding? I'd hate you to get all done, and then say oh oh, I don't have enough!
    Old 04-07-2012, 09:11 AM

gardnergal, great job on the pinwheels and I just love your chicken block. The fabric is so cute. Great job on both!
    Old 04-07-2012, 12:11 PM

QuiltE: I used the measurements in the book for how much fabric I needed and then rounded up to the next yard just in case.
    Old 04-07-2012, 12:20 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by carriem
    QuiltE: I used the measurements in the book for how much fabric I needed and then rounded up to the next yard just in case.

Good ... I just didn't want a mishap!
    (I was doing some calculating for sashing for another project the other day ..... and had it all figured out, and then said, OMG, I forgot the borders and binding!! Thankfully ... before I purchased or set to work!)
    Old 04-07-2012, 05:48 PM

GG I love your blocks! I can just see that rooster eatin' those bees. What darlin' pinwheels. That sashing is going ta tie all of those blocks tagether beautifully.
    Old 04-10-2012, 04:53 AM

I finally finished Clover Leaf ......I have to stop thinking fussy cutting for these blocks....The light green squares are not straight and even as I wanted them....looks better looking at it on point....H
    Attached Thumbnails calabash-easter-week-2012-434.jpg  
    Old 04-10-2012, 04:59 AM

Honchey...it looks good to me. I like the darker contrast that you have.
    Old 04-10-2012, 05:18 AM
    Power Poster

Looks like we three are here pretty much at the same time!

For those that follow .... if Honchey's block is as tiny as mine, you won't see much of it ... using the zoom feature, I took it up to 400%!!

And it is indeed really nice,
    Honchey ... the light/medium/dark is a winner and look at all those pointy points and squared squares!!!! It's a winner ... and wouldn't it be lovely as a full quilt?