Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along  wk 16   Eastertide & Ella's Star  Discussion Page >
  • The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along wk 16 Eastertide & Ella's Star Discussion Page

• The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along wk 16 Eastertide & Ella's Star Discussion Page

Old 04-28-2012, 04:05 PM
    Power Poster

I'm thinking your Easter Lily block is going to be a hit with alot of us, wendi. Please share!
    Ooh Mac and cheese sounds so good. Chuckled at the "old" and "extra old" cheese!! Guess it would be "sharp" or "extra sharp" here in the States. Some fussy Americans wouldn't think of using "old" cheese
    Today I made the Mixed Berry Bread pudding from one of QE's flyers. Will share- it's delcious!

Honey Berry Breakfast Bread Pudding

8 c cubed white or whole grain bread
    2 c mixed frozen berries-- I used 1 c each of blue and black berries
    6 eggs
    1 1/2 c half and half or 18% table cream--I had cream that didn't make it to butter!
    1/4 c liquid honey--I used 3 T of sugar
    1 t vanilla extract
    1/2 t ground cinnamon
    Warm honey
    Butter a 13 x 9 glass dish. Spread cubed bread in and top with berries.
    Whisk eggs til frothy. Add cream, honey, vanilla and cinnamon. Whisk together well and pour evenly over bread and berries. Cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight. ( I put mine in after 6 hours in the frig for an afternoon snack.)
    Let stand at room temperature while preheating oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 30-40 minutes (30 was just right for mine) or until inserted knife comes clean. Cover with foil if top browns too quickly (not a problem). Serve with warm honey. (I ate mine plain.)

I plan on making this Saturday night and serving Sunday morning when kids are here for the weekend. And later in the summer when the whole group has gathered. Maybe will have to make two then!

Last edited by oksewglad; 04-28-2012 at 04:08 PM.
    Old 04-28-2012, 05:31 PM

I love it.... I put my bread puddings into the crock pot and I think this will work in there too. Thanks for the idea of the mixed berry bread pudding!
    Old 04-28-2012, 06:03 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue
    I love it.... I put my bread puddings into the crock pot and I think this will work in there too. Thanks for the idea of the mixed berry bread pudding!
    How long do you "bake" it in the crockpot? Sounds like a great plan
    Old 04-28-2012, 08:25 PM

QuiltE - That does look delicious. I'll have ta figure how ta get this new computer ta use the wireless printer so I print this up for DH. I bet he'll put his own spin on it. That's what he does!
    QNS - I'm so glad that your friend is there. It sounds fun.
    Wendi - I live your Substitute for Eastertide. Your Easter Lilly is lovely, & your Elsie's Star is gonna stand out. WOW!
    Mirabelle - Have fun!
    Old 04-28-2012, 08:31 PM

Hmmm I missed a page.
    OK - Your right about it being labeled different here. Some of us don't know that that is what sharp means.
    QNS - that crockpot idea sounds great!
    Old 04-28-2012, 09:16 PM
    Power Poster

Cheese ... Yes, Cheddar is usually labelled as Mild, Medium, Old, Extra Old ... and the older stuff by the number of years. Sometimes we see it labelled as Sharp and Extra Sharp, but less so than the others. My choice ... the really old stuff, so anything about a 5 yr old and I'm a happy camper. Though it's not really worth it to use it in Mac and Cheese. In the winter, I was at a cheese plant and picked up some 9 yr old ... and it was so smooth and rich, it pretty much melted in your mouth. Yes, I was in heaven!

Mac and Cheese ... this has become my favourite recipe ... easiest, tastiest, and foolproof! Hope you all try it and enjoy it!!

MiraB ... What? no Mac and Cheese in Australia? This is a famous comfort food here!

OKSGlad ... Milk Calendar? Glad it was a hit and now will be used for family gatherings.

Bread Puddings ... love them, as they are so forgiving!! Lots of variable possibilites. For another switch try peaches or apples! One recipe I found last year used chunks of cream cheese and strawberry jam. Delectable or what, eh?

QNSue ... oh how fun that'd be to come and quilt with you IRL!!

DublB ... Recipes? I only see them as guidelines, and most of the time, that's the way I cook. Another switch for your DH, saute some onions and add them into the Mac and Cheese

WendiQ ... What a nice Easter block ... Lilies? or Daffodils?

Moi? ... finally got this week's blocks done and posted. Eastertide was easy ... except of course, those dastardly corners! Have the first of next week's blocks almost done now too. Not sure if I have the fabrics that'll work for the sailboat. Guess I have some sun with all my yellow!!
    Old 04-28-2012, 09:52 PM

I'm lookin' forward ta seein' next weeks blocks!
    Old 04-29-2012, 05:27 AM

Wendig...your blocks really pop! I love them.

Chuck wagon is sending out such glorious smells! Bread pudding brings back childhood memories but for some reason I've never been able to make it a favorite for my own family. Failure! Knowing that the mac&cheese is freeze able is useful. With only 2 at the table here leftovers can only be used so long.
    Old 04-29-2012, 06:16 AM

Thank you for all the kind comments about my "cheater" Easter block.....the pattern, Anael, is one I downloaded from my Foundation Factory edition of "Quilt Magazine Designer Edition" under Country Garden.......You know me, a PPer at heart
    The background color is really a little more peachy, but my camera needed it's battery recharged so it's a bit dull.....I tweaked it as much as my simple program would let me so it's close.....
    Old 04-29-2012, 09:04 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by wendiq
    Thank you for all the kind comments about my "cheater" Easter block.....the pattern, Anael, is one I downloaded from my Foundation Factory edition of "Quilt Magazine Designer Edition" under Country Garden.......You know me, a PPer at heart
    Nothing cheater about it ... it's totally lovely. I take it that this is a purchased program? Please tell us more!

Originally Posted by gardnergal970
    Chuck wagon is sending out such glorious smells! Bread pudding brings back childhood memories but for some reason I've never been able to make it a favorite for my own family. Failure! Knowing that the mac&cheese is freeze able is useful. With only 2 at the table here leftovers can only be used so long.

I think a lot of people don't like it, just because of the name! Don't tell them what it is ... and dress it up with all the trimmings and you might discover that with "age" they now like it! And if in doubt, just add some whipped cream or ice cream for a safety factor!!! I like recipes I can freeze ... with only one at the table, I often make extra, and then freeze for later. Also, do a lot of "make once, eat thrice" style cooking. In otherwords, I don't have leftovers, but planned overs, that I can re-make in different ways, either in the next few days, or in the freezer for a re-work later!

Originally Posted by dublb
    I'm lookin' forward ta seein' next weeks blocks!
    What? are you bored with this week's already?