Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 6 Broken Heart & Boy's Playmate Discussion Page >
  • THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 6 Broken Heart & Boy's Playmate Discussion Page

• THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 6 Broken Heart & Boy's Playmate Discussion Page

Old 02-09-2012, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
    QE I work a week ahead; never know what's going to happen with my mother. I didn't do set in seams on Bright Hopes. Look at the block: if you split one of the long rectangles into 2 squares it goes together like a 9 patch (or 7 patch in this case.) Please don't tell the Quilt Sherrif!!!!!
    Like this idea. I think we lost the Sherrif so tricks are encouraged.
    Old 02-09-2012, 11:06 AM

No, the cotton fabric in the flying geese are not "bulky". Its the Stack 'n Whack 6 point centers that try patience. Learned to stop 1/4 from end of seam and that helped. Then, there is the method that lets you take a hammer and pound on the bulk. Have fun.
    Old 02-09-2012, 02:39 PM
    Power Poster

[QUOTE=gardnergal970;4958687No chocolate. It would have been nice but I'm gaining ground with losing weight and don't keep it in the house right now. Did have a Snickers thanks to my husband when we were out an about over the weekend though so I don't feel deprived.[/QUOTE]

Atta GGal!! ... I keep some of the Hershey Nuggets for when I need a chocolate fix ... small enough that they aren't too dangerous, and large enough I get the fix without feeling I need more ... and more ... and more!

Old 02-09-2012, 03:57 PM

I keep the new Simply Lite sugar free dark chocolate bars in my desk. I just need one square to satisfy my sweet tooth, they taste great - but what I like is no sugar! I try to keep my sugar intake down.
    Old 02-10-2012, 02:53 PM

Hey Ya'll I'm sewing taday. I've sewn 4 more pieces of Broken Hearts. I started sewing the next ta last piece & I've sewn on it wrong 2 times. I'm taking a break! Sometimes that PP is confusing!
    Old 02-11-2012, 09:45 PM
    Power Poster

I already saw that you got it done DublB ... looks terrific.

Moi? ... Break for me from PC ... finished the binding on the Hospice Passage Quilt tonight. Now just need to get a label done. Getting frustrated over my search for the FWS sashing/border/binding fabric I want/need ... and that the LQS has not been able to get yet. Called about 30 stores today, to no avail ... so now am <pouting>!

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to tackle some more UFOs.
    Old 02-11-2012, 10:22 PM
    Power Poster

DublB ... Just wanted to make sure you saw this one ... inspiration?
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...g-t178851.html
    Old 02-11-2012, 10:30 PM
    Power Poster

Here's another pork and apple recipe ... it's absolutely delicious. It looks a little complicated, but really isn't. I make it and then love it as leftovers the next day. And possibly, like it even better then!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sage Rubbed Pork Chops with Apple Slaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOTE: To make this quicker and easier you can use one 16-ounce bag of pre-shredded carrots and cabbage, called "Slaw Mix" instead of starting with whole cabbage and carrots. This dish can also be a one-pot-meal if you need to swap around. Just serve with some nice brown bread or whole-grain or whole-wheat bread.

For the chops:

1 Tablespoon chopped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried
    1 large clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
    1 teaspoon salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    4 (3/4-inch) bone-in pork loin chops (about 8 ounces each)
    2 teaspoons olive oil

For the slaw:
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 large onion, cut in half, then thinly sliced into half-moons (I use more than one!)
    1 large Granny Smith apple, cut in 1/2, cored and coarsely shredded
    1 Tablespoon chopped fresh sage or 1 teaspoons dried
    1/2 head green cabbage, cored and coarsely shredded (about 9 cups)
    3 large carrots, coarsely shredded (about 3 cups)
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth

Combine the 1 Tablespoon of the fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried, minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a few grinds of fresh pepper. Rub this mixture all over the pork chops and let the chops sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, thinly slice the onion, grate apple, cabbage and the carrots.

Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan until hot but not smoking. Add the chops and brown on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove the chops to a plate.

Carefully wipe out the pan. Heat 2 teaspoons oil over moderate heat and add the onion, apples and 1 teaspoon fresh sage or 1/2 teaspoon dried. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is soft and golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the cabbage, carrots, vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon salt and continue cooking until the cabbage and carrots begin to soften, about 5 minutes.

Add the broth and return pork chops to the pan burying them in the vegetable mixture. Cover and cook just until the pork chops are just slightly blush in the center, 5 to 7 minutes longer.

To serve, arrange the warm slaw on individual plates and top with a pork chop and pan juices.

Bon Appetit!!!
    <o>

</o>
    <o>OKSGlad </o><o></o><o>... I think we need to quit supporting the pork industry ... and start getting them onto beef and dairy recipes!! </o>
    Old 02-11-2012, 11:17 PM

This looks as wonderful as OKSGlad's. Love new recipes to try! Thanks you two!
    Old 02-12-2012, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by JeanieG
    This looks as wonderful as OKSGlad's. Love new recipes to try! Thanks you two!
    It looks great!!! I printed it up & if DH doesn't fix it I will!