Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued >
  • The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued

• The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued

Old 10-04-2016, 08:39 PM

Oh GrannyQ, so glad to hear from you. It must be so hard, but sounds like you are getting a handle on everything. Having to deal with so many deaths in so short a time is just hard to comprehend for me! I can understand the helplessness you must have been feeling. When you cook, try to cook like you did before, and freeze the rest. I still cook large amounts of food for just Joe and I. I love being able to take things out of the freezer and heat them up when I don't want to cook. Anyway, I'm glad you are sewing again, it is such great therapy! I'm off to go look at your blocks.
    Old 10-04-2016, 09:44 PM
    Power Poster

GrannyQ, now I understand... I'm so sorry for all of your losses, especially your husband. How overwhelming. It's good you are keeping busy so you don't get bogged down. You are still here so there must be some things you are supposed to do yet. It's great you have your kids around. Younger people remind us that life goes on, and how wonderful is that?!

Keep plugging on your 30's blocks. Your quilt is going to be beautiful.
    Old 10-05-2016, 03:05 AM

GrannyQ, My goodness, you must have very strong shoulders to have been able to deal with all the sorrow.. It does get easier as time passes..

Sewbiz, Ugh, shopped for some items yesterday, bottled water, bread , juice, eggs As the hurricane progresses we'll know whether it will hit directly or just the outer bands..It's expected to arrive Friday evening..If it's bad we have reservations for 2 nights in Fayettevill..90 some odd miles inland.. I'm taking 2 of my machines with me..The rest will be on high shelves in the closet..my fabric will be in totes high up also in case of flooding. Because of all the rain we've had the ground is saturated and that will be an issue..We'r a couple of miles from the ocean and about a mile & a half from the intercoastal waterway and a bit uphill from there..Our home was built to withstand winds of 135 miles an hour.. We had the one tree on our property taken down this summer but there a a couple of neighbors with trees that if they come down we might just get the tops of them on the house... If we go the water will be shut off..no gas to speak of..and I'm still debating whether to shut down the electric..Maybe just to the hot water heater and all the other sources just not to the fridge...I also bought ice cream. what was I thinking !!! I'll just eat it in the car when we leave Gas for the cars today then have the suitcase ready..

The tendonitis in my ankle is roaring again..I think when I jammed my foot it also affected that area..I've had to use the elastic support on it ..especially yesterday with the shopping..I hit 5 places yesterday..

Jeanie, I bought the Expo pens yesterday at Walmart. I wish they just packaged them individually..I had to get 5 in a pack..

Well, time for coffee so I'll keep in touch and all of you have a good day.. H.
    Old 10-05-2016, 04:29 AM

Take care, Honckey and stay safe. Materialistic things are replaceable.

GrannyQ, good to hear from you and that you are back sewing on the FW1930. We all will cheer you on...not all of us are done with the blocks...so you will find company along the way of making the blocks. Jeanie has hers sewn together and so does JanRN, I think. Mine is sitting in notebooks, not yelling at me yet. DGM said it was one day at a time or one hour at a time in recovering from losing a loved one....sounds like you are strong and doing great.

Onward into life, one step at a time.. . to finish one quilt at a time.
    Old 10-05-2016, 06:31 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by grannyQ
    I'm so far behind on all the things that have been going on, it will take me awhile to catch up with all the news. I'm slowly getting back to making more of my 30's blocks, I have added weeks 22,23,24,25 and only one for week 26. It seems so strange to be by myself and the hardest part is fixing food for one. Nothing really sounds very good yet.
    Before Dh passed away, my son's MIL passed away in August, my husbands cousins wife also, the next week my sister and my sister in law passed away and the next week Don did. I really felt pretty down for quite awhile, but slowing doing more things now. I'm very glad my children live really close by and can help me out. I have really been learning how to do things that Don did and doing things that I haven't done before. Quite a learning experence.

HI GrannyQ,
    I am glad to hear that slowly you are doing a bit more each day. I haven't lost a husband, but when my mother passed away I seen how lost my dad was. I could see it on his face, but he kept trying to put one foot in front of another. That was just dads way and personality. He always had my mom write the checks and we had to show him how to write one. He just didn't want to fool with it. After dad passed away this summer it was so different for me to every day look out my front window or door on my front porch and I see their house. It's empty of course, but I have memories of that house from when I was 6 years old living one summer with my grandmother and grandfather while I finished the grade I was in. They were my dad's parents. It has a cellar at the side of it that dad helped my grandfather build so that house was special to dad too. My great grandmother who I have not seen that I would remember lived there first. The house is over 100 years old, but at some point probably be sold to whoever. It needs a lot of work done now though. Well, I didn't mean to rattle on, but just sharing with you that I can only imagine you trying each day to get use to a new way.

You will do it though!!!!
    Bless You
    Susan<3
    Old 10-05-2016, 06:42 AM
    Power Poster

HI Jeanie, I am that way too. I love having left overs or whatever in our freezer to pull from and fix.

QNS the first thing I did was go back and look at Mega again. What a pretty face she has with a precious look.

Sewbizgirl I will be getting back soon to my FWS 30's blocks too, but lately been working some more while watching a bit of tv sewing some of my postage stamps. They are 1 1/2", and I am doing 6 across and 6 down. I think they are pretty, and a great way to use up more scraps. I do find that after awhile on one project I like a change, and then feel a bit more refreshed to go back.

So GrannyQ I still will have lots of blocks to still work on too.

Honchey stay safe, and get better too.

Well, I am off to get me another cup of coffee. My number one drink. (but I drink lots of water)
    Old 10-05-2016, 01:59 PM

American Quilt Show in Des Moines, Iowa winners at this site: http://www.quiltweek.com/workshops/des-moines-2016/
    Old 10-05-2016, 03:35 PM
    Power Poster

I wish they showed more pics from the quilt show... maybe someone will post some on the board. It always amazes me how many Japanese quilters send their beautiful quilts to American shows. The Paducah show was full of them!

Speaking of shows, I am going to the Pinebelt Quilt Show in Hattiesburg MS on Friday and will take lots of pics to share. It's a bi-annual show but kind of a big one. I'm sure my socks will be knocked off.
    Old 10-05-2016, 03:39 PM
    Power Poster

We are waiting to see which way the storm travels after it cuts through the Bahamas tonight. They are now thinking it will come more inland into FL, and who knows from there. We are northwest of Florida-- mostly west. I would have thought we'd get a lot of much needed rain from it, but they are saying no. East coasters be careful. I like your alternate plan to bug out, Honchey. Hope it 's not necessary.

Susan, it must be hard to sell your parents' house. So many memories there. I'd love to see your progress on your postage stamp quilt. My Carolina Crossroads has a bunch of 1" squares (finished) in it. They began with short 1.5" wide strips, sewn together and then cross cut.

Looking forward to the box from NinaSue, which will be arriving tomorrow. Christmas in a box!
    Old 10-05-2016, 04:51 PM

My DM finally had surgery today. They weren't able to do it laparoscopically (sp?) & they had to take her whole colon out. She is gonna get her life back! It is gonna be a 6 week recovery period. Whoo Hoo! I don't know how much time I am gonna need to be here to help #2DSis in DM's care.