Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued >
  • The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued

• The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued

Old 11-10-2016, 06:51 PM

Yes, I kept the dark brown to use as binding on the PC; will work on that maybe next week. Thank you for all the kind words. Yes, Honchey, the cowboy block has the fabric you sent to me....makes it all that much more special. It will be an family heirloom , given to grandson at my demise. as daughter will get all the quilts at that time. And or quilt tops. They can keep them or sell them.

Do not know th line of fabric used in the stack 'n Whack background. Some of it is Patty's and some of it was mine...there is a slight difference in color, but I cannot tell which is which in the body of the quilt. Patty is still moving the 'blocks' around to suit her. Main back ground is a steel gray blue that reflects light and looks like a light purple blue. We start on the two borders next Monday. We started trimming the horse panels this afternoon for the next project. I am insisting that she chooses things as we go along so it reflects her choices not mine. (We do agree on most of it so far, so no problems.) It does encourage me to do more on my projects.
    Old 11-10-2016, 07:39 PM

I so have loved coming here & seeing all that ya'll are up to. I just realized that I haven't told ya'll that DM is back at Health South (rehab.) She got back on Sunday. We are finally seeing some progress. She is standing by herself. It is slow but she does get up. She dressed herself today too. Again slowly. She is also sleeping alot in between the therapy sessions.
    Old 11-10-2016, 08:26 PM

QNS - your PC Quilt turned out so great! Just love it! I have a stack n whack book that I purchased about five years ago thinking I would love to do one. When I started reading it, I got cold feet and just set it aside. I think if I took a class that it would make it easier to understand. I love your blues!
    Old 11-10-2016, 08:45 PM
    Power Poster

Bev, I've been wondering about your mom and you. So good to hear that she's making progress!

Jeanie, you can watch stack and whack tutes online. Bethany Reynolds has some really good ones. She does some extreme S&Ws (it's kind of 'her thing'), but you can just do very basic 4 patches or hexies that turn out just as beautiful. It's not hard at all once you see it.
    Old 11-10-2016, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Jeanie, you can watch stack and whack tutes online. Bethany Reynolds has some really good ones. She does some extreme S&Ws (it's kind of 'her thing'), but you can just do very basic 4 patches or hexies that turn out just as beautiful. It's not hard at all once you see it.
    That who wrote the book I have. I did not know there were videos, I'll have to watch them! Thanks SBG!
    Old 11-10-2016, 09:40 PM
    Power Poster

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...79BB&FORM=VIRE

Here's her video showing you how to make the "stack" and line up the repeats. From there you just cut through all layers to get your pieces. If you want 4 patches (4 Patch Posy, the quilt is called...) you will layer 4 pieces and cut squares. If you want hexagons, layer 6 pieces and cut 60 degree triangles (equilateral triangles) with a 60 degree triangle ruler. You can cut octagons, fans etc. with skinnier wedged shapes, you just need to layer enough pieces to get the amount of wedges you will need-- 8 for octagon, etc.

Start with squares. They are the easiest and only take 4 layers of fabric. You can branch out from there.
    Old 11-10-2016, 09:43 PM
    Power Poster

[ATTACH=CONFIG]562022[/ATTACH]

This is a 4 Patch Posy I made. To get the kaliedoscope effect, you turn the same corner of each of the 4 squares towards the center of the 4-patch.
    Attached Thumbnails dsc01923-small-.jpg  
    Old 11-11-2016, 05:18 AM

It is interesting, SBG, at your take off of the same book I am using and different from the class I took from Quilter 65. She had a class in Ottumwa, Iowa, Sewing House last Saturday. Not in a bad way, but interesting how different two views can be. We have made several of Bethany's 'Good Morning' six sided octagon quilt in her first book. I have all five of her books and one other that shows eight pieces in a square. Quilter 65 amazed me with her four to eight pieces in a block of many different sizes. She uses the Dresden pattern in her stack 'n whack, often will applique the whole 'look' onto a back ground. Curves, circles, and she sews and designs each one. Last two America Quilt Society shows in Des Moines has had her quilts at the shows.

It is important to take one step at a time in doing the Stack 'n Whack. First is matching and measuring the repeats and to purchase enough fabric to do the four, six or eight matches. I like ot hit a good sale on the fabric, and love it when Quilter 65 is alone (driving me) to confer with on the yardage. Then you consider the background on what will make it 'pop' which is often a surprise. Then consider the border and if you want two or one border. It all takes a while, but is worth it in the end. Worth going for nad trying, in my opinion. And I am not a top quilter, more in the middle range of talent.

Have a great day.
    Old 11-11-2016, 09:04 AM
    Power Poster

I've done some of the hexagon type stack and whacks too. They are fun.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...00-560121.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...951-562041.JPG

And here's another one for charity that I did as a 4 Patch Posy...
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...00-555209.html

I haven't tried any of Bethany's fancier quilts....
    Old 11-11-2016, 11:29 AM

Those are awesome SBG! I especially like the 1st one!