Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • The FWS Pony Club  WK 20  Girl's Joy & Grandmother's Favorite Discussion Page >
  • The FWS Pony Club WK 20 Girl's Joy & Grandmother's Favorite Discussion Page

• The FWS Pony Club WK 20 Girl's Joy & Grandmother's Favorite Discussion Page

Old 05-25-2012, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Oh so sad ... just try to remember her as she was, not as what she has become. And remember that this new person is not your DMIL!
    You're absolutely right. This isn't her! She was a wonderful MIL. If she got mad at me she yelled at DH & when I got mad at her I yelled at DH. (DH said that, that was the best way!) It kept us from ever stayin' mad at each other. She never tried ta tell me how ta raise my kids or how ta live my life. She did try ta tell DH what ta do for a little time, but never me. It took a little while for her ta adjust to him not answerin' ta her. (He is an only child.) I do her hair & have her nails done 'cause that honors who she was.
    Old 05-25-2012, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Oh so sad ... just try to remember her as she was, not as what she has become. And remember that this new person is not your DMIL!
    Oh gosh does this hit home. My dad had Parkinson's Disease. I remember going to the car and crying after almost every visit. It was not my husky, muscular dad sitting in that wheel chair. It was a skinny, shriveled up old man, not talking, just staring at me! He was in that nursing home for 7 years! So sad!
    Old 05-25-2012, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by jeanieg
    oh gosh does this hit home. My dad had parkinson's disease. I remember going to the car and crying after almost every visit. It was not my husky, muscular dad sitting in that wheel chair. It was a skinny, shriveled up old man, not talking, just staring at me! He was in that nursing home for 7 years! So sad!
    {{{{{huggs}}}}}
    Old 05-25-2012, 04:37 PM

Yep, there are some wonderful riders on this ride; showing love to family members who grew elderly...giving care and love when they needed it. It is not an easy road to travel and different yet the same for most families...if you are a part of a family and not a little Annie Orphan.

Was not raised by birth parents, but foster loving grandparents. Lost our Grandfather in junior high years, and all his relation divorced us quickly at his death in 1955. Dad died in 1961. Gran in 1980; Mom in 1981. Brother divorced us (and moved away) in 2006, so there's dh and me. Our kids do not live in the area, but we might talk every other month or two. Dh has lost both parents, and his five siblings will not have anything to do with us...except one maybe two or three times a year. But we are blessed with a younger couple that are true friends that do not live close enough to visit every day...but we talk everyday on the phone. And QB, mainly, PC members that I am very thankful for. Life goes on, not always what we would like, but it too passes time onward. Always have looked for the silver lining in every cloud, and counted the blessings.

Blessings are counted as I stitch on the quilts, love QB, and exchanging ideas and recipes. Thanks everyone, for being "you" on this journey.
    Old 05-25-2012, 04:51 PM

QNS - We are here for ya.{{Huggs}} Life isn't about how we were treated in the past, it's about how we react ta it. You are an excellent example of this. Write all of this down. Your DGS needs ta know it all, the good & the bad, & he will see how you reacted to it.
    Old 05-25-2012, 05:30 PM
    Power Poster

Getting old/sick is cruel way to end up, isn't it?

QNSue ... you've taken the high road and made lemonade!

Sometimes I wonder about my hopefully distant future ... I try not to dwell on it, but I can't help but wonder what will happen? In the meantime, all I can do is to try to have the proverbial "ducks in order" vefore it's too late, so that I havhopefully created the path that I want should the worse happen. And other than that, I try to let the worries go and hope for the best.
    Old 05-25-2012, 08:45 PM
    Power Poster

I haven't had a chance to follow the threads these past couple of days. My heart goes out to all who are suffering or have suffered.
    I lost my parents when I was 25 and pregnant with our 3rd child. I still miss them, but as time passes know I haven't had to see them fall victim to the maladies of the aged. I'm now approaching the ages they were when they died and whoa what a different perspective I have now. What I learned was life goes on, and there will be ups and downs in life, and you make the best of it.

I know that when I sit and sew, I can lose myself in it and escape the rest of life for awhile. It truly takes me to my happy place!

So well said, QE! I've been sewing on some really ugly squares for Mission quilts for my cousin and even though they are not works of art, I still enjoy every stitch. Somewhere someone will get pleasure from them if nothing more than warmth on a cold night or a satchel to carry their meager belongings. Peace to all.

Last edited by oksewglad; 05-25-2012 at 08:47 PM.
    Old 05-25-2012, 09:22 PM
    Power Poster

I just looked at this weeks blocks. Oh you have me all itching to get back to the blocks. Sewing room is chaos as I sort and get rid of stuff I will never finish. I'm sewing on some charity quilt tops and will send them to a cousin to get finished and then I can get my "real" fabrics back into new spaces. Plus garden work, and today I made a road trip --about 170 mile one. Had to get parts for the Bobcat going one direction and then down to the repair man in the opposite direction. Whew what a ride, another one of those "farm wife" adapt and adjust days. Now tomorrow DS and DIL are going to DD's surprise BD party up north and I have baby calves to care for and bonding time with DH in the barn. Another stumbling block to quilting!
    Old 05-26-2012, 03:12 AM
    Power Poster

It's all about perspective, isn't it?

While I "hated" those road trips for parts, run for this, run for that and OBTW what time is supper? days .... I would do anything to have them now. Though if life hadn't changed I wouldn't have met you wonderful ladies, and been able to make such good lemonade!!

Ladies, I'm about to hit the road to go to my first day of the "Basic Net Collage" class. The truck is packed ... and it looks like I've moved out with my stash. If you'd like to see some of the artist's work and a little insight as to what I'll be doing, here's her site .......
    www.Lroytextileart.com

No I'll hardly be doing works of art ... and I truly am wondering if I have jumped in waaaaaaay over my head! If so, I'll at least come out of it with an appreciation of how the technique is done and the amount of work it is!!! See you tonight!!!

Last edited by QuiltE; 05-26-2012 at 03:32 AM.
    Old 05-26-2012, 03:37 AM
    Power Poster

There was never time for sewing when we were farming ... or did I not make time for it? Even if I had made time for it, I know it would never have been appreciated, encouraged, supported etc. and I would have stepped aside from it to try to keep the peace.

Thanks Ladies, for giving me some time for introspect and perspective this morning before I leave. While some of the life changes forced on me, somewhat suck .... I really do appreciate the good life that I have created for myself and the freedom that I do have to do the things that are important to me. And you are all part of what is important!

OKSGlad ... I give you so much credit for what ALL you do! Have fun bonding this weekend!