Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • The FWS Quilt-Along  Block Placement/ Sashing/Photo Page >
  • The FWS Quilt-Along Block Placement/ Sashing/Photo Page

• The FWS Quilt-Along Block Placement/ Sashing/Photo Page

Old 07-22-2011, 12:17 PM

Problems by the score...virual board not big enough; hard to get the "whole" FWSQ quilt into the picture; not enough blocks for king size YET. Guess its back to making more blocks 'cause it ain't done. The green is the background of the flannel board; ceiling is 7 foot in hallway, so that limits layout. ( All rooms have a 7 foot ceiling.) Strips are sewn up to the one extra long corner way strip..and that's where the problems begin. Grrrr.

FWSQ
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]230200[/ATTACH]

Upper right side of quilt
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]230213[/ATTACH]

upper left side of quilt top
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]230214[/ATTACH]

upper lower half of the bottom of the quilt
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]230218[/ATTACH]

lower left side of the bottom of the quilt
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]230221[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-230194.jpe   attachment-230207.jpe   attachment-230208.jpe   attachment-230212.jpe   attachment-230215.jpe  

Old 07-22-2011, 12:34 PM

I think its called being between a rock and a hard place; cannot go back, its hard to go forward and make more blocks but I cannot see any other way. Maybe someone else looking at it has a suggestion or two.
    Old 07-22-2011, 12:42 PM

!!!WOW!!!

that looks AMAZING!!!

Im sorry you have run out of room, I dont have much in way of suggestions.
    Old 07-22-2011, 01:14 PM

QNS Your work is beautiful. Your blocks are so bright and colorful. How big is it now? I only used 98 blocks and mine is going to be a queen after I add borders. I'm trying to remember the book; do you need 115 blocks for a king or more? Wow-sorry, I'm not much help am I? But I do really love your quilt and wish you lots of luck. I had mine stretched out over 2 tables with a large cardboard in the middle and it was still hard to get the layout right. Let us know what you decide to do. It's beautiful!
    Old 07-22-2011, 01:26 PM

Queen sized is 111 blocks; king is another 44 blocks. Thought I had enough extra, but I was wrong, wrong, wrong. Need the top row down the quilt, and I think five more in the last few rows. Anyone notice I turned in the wrong block last time??? Misnamed it in my file, so its an "Operator" fault. lol!!!! At least I am consistant in being wrong.
    Old 07-22-2011, 01:30 PM

Your quilt is stunning, even though it's not quite finished. Problems such as you're having only make everyone appreciate your work and skill more. I'm sure you'll work something out and will be able to view the entire production. Good job!! Belles
    Old 07-22-2011, 01:58 PM

QNS your quilt is beautiful! Could you just add some borders to bring it to the correct size? The borders would probably be hanging down, not on the center of the bed where the eye would be drawn. They would actually frame the quilt???? As you can see, I am for easy fixes. :lol:
    Old 07-22-2011, 03:23 PM

QuiltingNinaSue that is one beautiful quilt top, you must be happy with all the work that has gone into it. I agree with JeanieG, add a couple of borders to bring it up to the desired size for your bed. The borders will hang on the side and the beautiful blocks will be on the top where everyone can admire and OOH and AAAH them :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 07-22-2011, 04:02 PM

Good news:I did find all but 6 blocks to complete the king sized quilt, so I am pressing onward!! (With a hot iron.lol!!) Otherwise, it would not come out right in upper right corner,so now to finish the tip top row. Thanks everyone for your encouraging word that helps me move in a forward motion one inch at a time.
    Old 07-23-2011, 07:57 AM

I think the book says a king sized one is a total of 145 blocks. I don't have the book in front of me but I was checking it a few nights ago and I thought it said you need to make 34 more blocks than the 111 needed for a queen size quilt which I have made.. I have finished sewing all the blocks together and am waiting for my DD to take a picture of the sewed together top. I still need to put borders on and I have ordered the fabric from connecting threads. Then i need to order the backing (thinking about ordering 108" from keepsake quilting) and I am going to have it LA quilted by a member of my quilting group. I started last July with everyone else and just finished sewing the top yesterday. I learned so much from doing this project and so much from all of you on here. I am looking forward to doing another project with this group. I am sorry I have not been able to post pictures but my DD has the only camera and she had it at college. But she is home now and I have to wait until she gets time.