Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • The FWS Quilt-Along  Block Placement/ Sashing/Photo Page >
  • The FWS Quilt-Along Block Placement/ Sashing/Photo Page

• The FWS Quilt-Along Block Placement/ Sashing/Photo Page

Old 07-23-2011, 08:27 AM

My thoughts often go astray; have it laid out on the visual board helps a bunch. Need five more to complete the quilt top this morning, will count them later. I have a mint green backing for the quilt top.

Nice to hear others who started with the group is finishing up their quilts. It will be nice to see a picture. Maybe a final page for all of us to post a FWSQ quilt top completed top/quilt.
    Old 07-23-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue
    My thoughts often go astray; have it laid out on the visual board helps a bunch. Need five more to complete the quilt top this morning, will count them later. I have a mint green backing for the quilt top.

Nice to hear others who started with the group is finishing up their quilts. It will be nice to see a picture. Maybe a final page for all of us to post a FWSQ quilt top completed top/quilt.
    Will do that when that time comes. Anne
    Old 07-23-2011, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Abigail's Mimi
    I think the book says a king sized one is a total of 145 blocks. I don't have the book in front of me but I was checking it a few nights ago and I thought it said you need to make 34 more blocks than the 111 needed for a queen size quilt which I have made.. I have finished sewing all the blocks together and am waiting for my DD to take a picture of the sewed together top. I still need to put borders on and I have ordered the fabric from connecting threads. Then i need to order the backing (thinking about ordering 108" from keepsake quilting) and I am going to have it LA quilted by a member of my quilting group. I started last July with everyone else and just finished sewing the top yesterday. I learned so much from doing this project and so much from all of you on here. I am looking forward to doing another project with this group. I am sorry I have not been able to post pictures but my DD has the only camera and she had it at college. But she is home now and I have to wait until she gets time.
    Hi Abigail's Mimi, so glad you have completed the quilt. We have had such fun and I'm looking forward to doing the Pony Quilt when the book comes out and we decide on a date. Honchey suggested we might start in September - hope you will join us!
    Old 07-23-2011, 03:24 PM

I have all of my blocks pieced, and all but 6 quilted. Now to add the sashing. Having it to do over again, I don't think I would have quilted the blocks until I had added the setting triangles. I have a fabric picked out, but haven't purchased it yet. Maybe next week.
    Many of you have already put yours together and they are really beautiul.
    Old 07-24-2011, 08:27 AM

King sized is nine across nine times; and eight across eight times. 9x9=81 plus the 8x8=64 so that is 145 squares in the king size. Would not want anyone to lose sleep over how many squares there are...lol!! Have 140 on the visual board now, made an error on a block yesterday, so after I fix it, I have four to make to finish the block work. Next is to finish the sashing between the blocks with the yellow squares & grey/black material.
    Old 07-24-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue
    King sized is nine across nine times; and eight across eight times. 9x9=81 plus the 8x8=64 so that is 145 squares in the king size. Would not want anyone to lose sleep over how many squares there are...lol!! Have 140 on the visual board now, made an error on a block yesterday, so after I fix it, I have four to make to finish the block work. Next is to finish the sashing between the blocks with the yellow squares & grey/black material.
    It is so exciting to see the end in site!!!

I have been quilting my 1st lap quilt recently, that I had set aside. Got a new-to-me sewing machine with a large harp, decided after I had first finished a few rows of STD with my old machine that it just would not work well. The new one is sewing like a dream!!!

The 2nd lap quilt is on the display board and I realized last night that I only have 4 more blocks to put together (they are all cut out). Yahoo!!!
    Old 07-25-2011, 12:11 PM

I have started putting the sashing & cornerstones on. I love how it looks but oh, I am wondering WHY I thought completely hand sewing everything was a good idea!!!! This will be my one & only hand pieced, hand quilted quilt ever!!!

I thought about doing the Pony Quilt but I won't be ready by Sept....of this year anyhow! I'll come by & cheer y'all on & drool :)
    Old 07-25-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Beachbound
    I have started putting the sashing & cornerstones on. I love how it looks but oh, I am wondering WHY I thought completely hand sewing everything was a good idea!!!! This will be my one & only hand pieced, hand quilted quilt ever!!!

I thought about doing the Pony Quilt but I won't be ready by Sept....of this year anyhow! I'll come by & cheer y'all on & drool :)
    The Book is coming out in September and may not be available in certain areas for awhile and everyone has to get the book before we can start. I was thinking sometime in November. We have to get done with this one before we start another. I realize that there are some here that are already finished and are anxious to begin another project ..it's only fair to those that are on schedule that we be patient give it a rest in between...choose our fabrics and so on. That's not to say we can't get the talking about it started... let's say the end of September. There's alot to talk about. Anne
    Old 07-25-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey

The Book is coming out in September and may not be available in certain areas for awhile and everyone has to get the book before we can start. I was thinking sometime in November. We have to get done with this one before we start another. I realize that there are some here that are already finished and are anxious to begin another project ..it's only fair to those that are on schedule that we be patient give it a rest in between...choose our fabrics and so on. That's not to say we can't get the talking about it started... let's say the end of September. There's alot to talk about. Anne
    Hey, anytime we start is great! I'm in no hurry. I have scads of stuff to keep my busy. LOL
    Old 07-26-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Honchey

Sounds good to me! Maybe I'll make this one ALL MACHINE WORK!!!! Bahahaha!!!! Here's what I picked for the triangles & sashing~ thanks for all the input, it really helped!

I decided to use a small border to match the sashing & will use the green for the larger border. ::::sigh:::: I just can't seem to follow directions! ;-)
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]231943[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-231937.jpe