Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • The FWS Quilt-Along  Block Placement/ Sashing/Photo Page >
  • The FWS Quilt-Along Block Placement/ Sashing/Photo Page

• The FWS Quilt-Along Block Placement/ Sashing/Photo Page

Old 07-30-2011, 05:33 AM

Jeanie, wow girl!!!! Those blocks are amazing, you should be proud. I can't wait to see it finished. I was thinking of using those colors in my Pony Club quilt....did you use a collection or rather them yourself?
    Old 07-30-2011, 02:33 PM

Whatever you decide to do with the sashing will look great Jeanie, your quilt will be beautiful
    Old 07-30-2011, 03:02 PM

mirabelle and Jeanie, those are so beautiful! Thanks for sharing. It's very motivating for those of us who are lagging behind.
    Old 08-02-2011, 06:58 AM

Help! I hate to be a pest but I can't decide about my borders. I set my blocks straight across so I end up with a 1" black border; I added a 1" red border and then a 4" cream/red border (same as my cornerstones). I planned on black binding. I got the first beige border on and I think it looks too light. Please check out these pics and give me your honest opinion (even if you think the beige border sucks); I can change it now rather than later. The black pieces aren't sewn on-just to see how binding will look. Thank you, thank you again ladies!!
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-235302.jpe  
    Old 08-02-2011, 08:50 AM

Hi Jan, I'm glad you said it!!! The Beige does not work at all as a 4" border. if you want to incorporate the beige because it's in the cornerstones I would reduce it to 3/4" then add a big black border at least 5 " and keep the black binding. This way you'll have a very nice framed quilt. Think of it like a double matted photo. red, beige then black. My opinion. Anne
    Old 08-02-2011, 11:19 AM

Mirabelle = you have done a wonder job, your quilt is just stunning. What a masterpiece.
    Old 08-02-2011, 11:25 AM

Loved you colors Jeanie
    Old 08-02-2011, 02:35 PM

JanRN I agree with Anne, a final black border would certainly frame the quilt. I am not a huge fan of different color binding, I like the binding to match the final border fabric (just my opinion)

Violet thank you so much, I have certainly had a lot of fun over the past 12 months. This is definitely the type of quilt you could easily put in the too hard basket and end up with yet another UFO but having this wonderful group of ladies to "sew with" has made it not only enjoyable but also achievable. Thank you so much to everyone who has posted comments and blocks and kept us all on track :thumbup:
    Old 08-02-2011, 05:50 PM

Thanks Anne & Mirabelle. I knew before I sewed that beige border on I wasn't happy with it but did it anyway. I've been ripping it off all day. I have enought fabric for a 5" black border but will have to get more for the binding.

Yeah, this one's been close to the UFO pile a few times but you have put up with all my question and kept me going. Thank you!!
    Old 08-02-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
    Thanks Anne & Mirabelle. I knew before I sewed that beige border on I wasn't happy with it but did it anyway. I've been ripping it off all day. I have enought fabric for a 5" black border but will have to get more for the binding.

Yeah, this one's been close to the UFO pile a few times but you have put up with all my question and kept me going. Thank you!!
    I cut my border fabric for the way most of you are doing the quilt...Now I'm in a quandry 'cause I changed my layout and I don't have enough for what I want to do with both accent and border. I have to cut twenty 7/8" x 95"strips to go on both sides of the printed sashing strips and I need 28" width for the WIDE last border. I'm still trying to figure out how I;m going to cut these skinny strips. I may have to piece 3 or 4 of the skinny strips so I can have my wide border. I keep on pulling out the fabric then putting it back...I'm afraid of messing it up by having wiggly strips. Oh well, tomorrow's another day. Anne