Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • The FWS Quilt-Along  Block Placement/ Sashing/Photo Page >
  • The FWS Quilt-Along Block Placement/ Sashing/Photo Page

• The FWS Quilt-Along Block Placement/ Sashing/Photo Page

Old 08-02-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey
    Originally Posted by janRN
    Thanks Anne & Mirabelle. I knew before I sewed that beige border on I wasn't happy with it but did it anyway. I've been ripping it off all day. I have enought fabric for a 5" black border but will have to get more for the binding.

Yeah, this one's been close to the UFO pile a few times but you have put up with all my question and kept me going. Thank you!!
    I cut my border fabric for the way most of you are doing the quilt...Now I'm in a quandry 'cause I changed my layout and I don't have enough for what I want to do with both accent and border. I have to cut twenty 7/8" x 95"strips to go on both sides of the printed sashing strips and I need 28" width for the WIDE last border. I'm still trying to figure out how I;m going to cut these skinny strips. I may have to piece 3 or 4 of the skinny strips so I can have my wide border. I keep on pulling out the fabric then putting it back...I'm afraid of messing it up by having wiggly strips. Oh well, tomorrow's another day. Anne
    Good luck Anne I am sure you will figure it out, can't wait to see your finished top
    Old 08-03-2011, 04:22 AM

Good luck on that Anne. Only thing I can think of is lots of starch and lots of patience. I'm really anxious to see your layout.

Anyone else out there closing in on the finish line?
    Old 08-03-2011, 04:58 AM

I am getting close to finishing my top but remember, it is only a lap top. Jan, I feel for you!! I have sewn borders on other quilts and then not been happy & had to rip it out. After all the work we put into this quilt we can't 'settle' at the borders, can we? Good luck & keep smiling...it's a journey with this quilt, right? Anne, I know you will figure you problem out & it will be stunning!
    Old 08-03-2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by mirabelle
    JanRN I agree with Anne, a final black border would certainly frame the quilt. I am not a huge fan of different color binding, I like the binding to match the final border fabric (just my opinion)

Violet thank you so much, I have certainly had a lot of fun over the past 12 months. This is definitely the type of quilt you could easily put in the too hard basket and end up with yet another UFO but having this wonderful group of ladies to "sew with" has made it not only enjoyable but also achievable. Thank you so much to everyone who has posted comments and blocks and kept us all on track :thumbup:
    I agree, I would never finished 111 blocks without the support and challange of the group.
    Old 08-03-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
    Good luck on that Anne. Only thing I can think of is lots of starch and lots of patience. I'm really anxious to see your layout.

Anyone else out there closing in on the finish line?
    sigh... I am getting there... I need to find a place big enough to lay my blocks out and decide on FINAL layout, before I can go any further.

LOOKS GREAT Jan :-D :-D :-D
    Old 08-03-2011, 12:26 PM

We drove 50 miles to Jo-Anns to purchase my fabric for the setting triangles and guess what? They didn't have the fabric. I did see it on the internet and came home to order on the internet and guess what? It is discontinued! I really wanted this fabric. I found "fat quarters" in the same fabric. The fat quarters were $1.99 on sale for $.79 so I ordered 45 of them. This is "Arbor Lane tea stain tonal", kinda like a light honey color.
    When I get time, I will post my plan. I am going to use the setting triangles in a different way, puts the block on point but I will be working with a 10" square. Much easier for me but takes a bit more fabric.
    Old 08-03-2011, 07:07 PM

That's how I did my setting triangles. Ten inch squares cut diagonally twice. Worked out great! Just received my border fabric and will work on the borders this week. Then off to LAQ! I am planning on giving this to my daughter for Christmas along with the book in which I made notes on each square as I assembled it. I think it will be a nice keepsake for her!
    Old 08-04-2011, 04:25 AM

Wow you're doing great, Abigail's Mimi. Are you able to post a pic so far? I'm anxious to see how you're setting yours together.
    Hang in there Violet-look how far we've come. That fabric will be here before you know it.
    Old 08-04-2011, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by violetsfarm
    We drove 50 miles to Jo-Anns to purchase my fabric for the setting triangles and guess what? They didn't have the fabric. I did see it on the internet and came home to order on the internet and guess what? It is discontinued! I really wanted this fabric. I found "fat quarters" in the same fabric. The fat quarters were $1.99 on sale for $.79 so I ordered 45 of them. This is "Arbor Lane tea stain tonal", kinda like a light honey color.
    When I get time, I will post my plan. I am going to use the setting triangles in a different way, puts the block on point but I will be working with a 10" square. Much easier for me but takes a bit more fabric.
    What a girl wouldnt do for the RIGHT fabric ;) ;) ;)
    Old 08-04-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Abigail's Mimi
    That's how I did my setting triangles. Ten inch squares cut diagonally twice. Worked out great! Just received my border fabric and will work on the borders this week. Then off to LAQ! I am planning on giving this to my daughter for Christmas along with the book in which I made notes on each square as I assembled it. I think it will be a nice keepsake for her!
    Be sure to show us a picture before you send it to the quilter.