Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • The FWS Quilt-Along  Block Placement/ Sashing/Photo Page >
  • The FWS Quilt-Along Block Placement/ Sashing/Photo Page

• The FWS Quilt-Along Block Placement/ Sashing/Photo Page

Old 08-22-2011, 09:39 AM

Jan
    I am blown away with your blocks over the weeks! the quilting is great and I have to admit I am jealous :oops:
    Old 08-22-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by deranged_damsel
    Jan
    I am blown away with your blocks over the weeks! the quilting is great and I have to admit I am jealous :oops:
    You're not the only one!!!
    Old 08-22-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey
    Ok Jan, Where's the pictures!!!
    My question exactly!
    Old 08-22-2011, 01:48 PM

Thank you all so much. Still sewing on the binding--seems like 3 miles of binding!
    Old 08-22-2011, 05:38 PM

Can't wait to see pics of your finished quilt. We are all holding our breath with anticipation :lol:
    Old 08-22-2011, 06:47 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Beachbound
    QuiltE, I have never done any QAYG so I can't say. I would just finish up the top & quilt it when you feel like it. Somehow I always do better when I am in the mood to do something then when I force it.
    Oh I totally agree with you on the importance of being in the mood .... if not disaster is sure to strike! :)
    Old 08-22-2011, 06:55 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by janRN
    Hi QuiltE. I did my FWS QAYG and will do the Pony Quilt the same way. It was enjoyable quilting the individual blocks; I'm a former handquilter and I like my blocks to be quilted to reflect the block rather than an all-over random design(just a PERSONAL choice, I think the other's quilts are beautiful.) I also hate "rassling" with a large quilt on my machine. I quilted the blocks with the batting only (no backing yet), added the cornerstones & sashing and then sewed 3 rows together. Then I attached the backing to the 3 rows and quilted it on. Made 4 sections then joined them together. I also quilted my borders before I put them on. Lots of hand sewing for me on the back of the quilt but it turned out well (first time I've done QAYG). It's not perfect, but it's mine LOL!! I hope this made sense, if not, ask me more; again I'm not an expert and the Quilt Police would execute me on sight but pfffft them!!!
    Thanks for the run down on how you have done your QAYG. I knew you were QAYG, but wasn't sure if it was machine or hand quilting. I like how you did your quilting specific to the blocks! What a great idea.

I'm not fully decided yet, though am leaning towards QAYG and was thinking of the backing on each piece. So now curiosity has the cat and I must ask ...........

Why did you not add your backing with each block? Is there any other reason, than wanting fewer seams in the back, and more of a look of one fabric?

Do you know, has anyone else done QAYG (machine) in any form?

Looks like we'll soon see a completed picture from you!
    Old 08-23-2011, 04:31 AM

Hi QuiltE. Yes, the reason I didn't do backing on each block was for fewer seams. I had wide backing fabric and didn't start out to do QAYG. It still looks like individual blocks on the back; just easier to do. I watched some tutorials before I did it and most do each block so that's the "correct" way I guess. Like I said the Quilt Police will shoot me on site if they look at this.
    Old 08-23-2011, 09:36 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by janRN
    Hi QuiltE. Yes, the reason I didn't do backing on each block was for fewer seams. I had wide backing fabric and didn't start out to do QAYG. It still looks like individual blocks on the back; just easier to do. I watched some tutorials before I did it and most do each block so that's the "correct" way I guess. Like I said the Quilt Police will shoot me on site if they look at this.
    JanRN ... Oh pish posh those QP and all those who profess there is only one way. You do what's right for you! :) I've already been thinking of my "right" way ..... thinking of doing block groups, (eg. 3x3=9 or 4x4=16) somewhat like your strip units then a wider sashing to join those sections. Of course, I'm a long way from needing to think it thru to the fullest. If I start the QAYG the biggest challenge will be to make sure I have enough of the backing fabric for all ... and one advantage you had, was to wait and do it later. We'll see what evolves! :lol:

PS ... is your pooch a Dalmatian? I used to have one, and miss her ever so much!
    Old 08-23-2011, 12:27 PM

We had a Dalmatian too, and he was the best ever. Patches is a mix--dad was a Dalmatian, mom was a slut LOL. We found him starving, tied to a tree stump in the middle of winter. He only weighed 20 pounds, now he's a hefty 70 pounds!! Love him to death-he's my quilting buddy. I made a block especially for him-used a corner of one of his red bandanas.