• The FWS Quilt-Along   Week  23  Blocks 45 & 46 Photo Page >
  • The FWS Quilt-Along Week 23 Blocks 45 & 46 Photo Page

• The FWS Quilt-Along Week 23 Blocks 45 & 46 Photo Page

Old 11-25-2011, 08:52 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Honchey
    We're like donuts..keep coming round. :-P
    Some donuts here for one and all!!

#45 -- Grape Basket .l. for once I kept to the theme of the block, and gave your some "grape". Not sure if you can see it in the pic, the grape has a frosting of gold!
    and
    #46 -- Hill and Valley ... another one that just doesn't look as good on point, as squred up.

62/111
    Attached Thumbnails fws45-46.jpg  
    Old 11-25-2011, 08:59 PM
    Power Poster

Very nice QuiltE! such nice square edges. These were the first 2 blocks I did and I am amazed at how much I have learned since then, I remember H&V being a tough one for me to do.
    Old 11-26-2011, 02:23 PM
    Power Poster

OK ... as always you're so kind. I am so loving PPing and the results it turns out!
    Old 11-26-2011, 08:10 PM
    Power Poster

The Century of Progress is one of my next to do blocks--love Anne's memo. "You're on your own" for this one!! I went to EQ and drafted a block and printed PP templates so will be ready to sew. Will bow to the Goddess of PP and make it that way.
    Old 11-26-2011, 10:17 PM

Default Progress...Yuck!

Oh Boy!, Do I remember this block! The real problem with this block isn't in the sections until you have to put the 2 halves together... You end up with this fat ball of points that refuse to lay flat. I am going to try to do this one over again. I did PP it and thats when I had the problem. I will have larger seams so that I can have something to grab on to to make the points behave and lay down. I finally had to stitch the center seam where all the points meet by hand. The onlu progress about this block is when You're done with it and move on...Now that's Progress!! Anne Countdown is 4 days to the announcement!
    Old 11-27-2011, 08:58 AM
    Power Poster

Hey ... I heard that!
    No Goddess here ..... just dumb beginner's luck!!!! I think the thing is I knew no better when I started PPing this spring and picked teeny-tiny pieces with those carrots and their tops for Easter. HATED PPing then!! Then tried the Candlequilter Star block ... talk about Y-seams! At least the pieces were bigger to work with. I liked the finished results ... and HATED the process. And knew absolutely nothing about the trimming and stitching how-to's.

Then with FWS, I gave in and tried a few, knowing the measurements and seaming and flatness just weren't going to come together. Gradually I've stumbled along and now feel like I'm in a groove! I've even figured out how to do the seam trimming with each step. And yes, as you know I've come to like it .... and see it as a real lazy way to accomplish it.

OKSGlad .... Did you know there's a yahoo group that you can join and get all your PP patterns? That's where i"ve been getting mine from. Would save you a LOT of work!!!!

Honchey ........ four more sleeps! wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by QuiltE; 11-27-2011 at 09:05 AM.
    Old 11-27-2011, 11:21 AM
    Power Poster

If I had a Hammer--I'd hammer on my seams, I'd hammer on the seam joints all over the quilt!! Sorry couldn't resist. I like using a small tack hammer for flattening seams, Anne. If you have a clapper that works too, but think hammer is more direct.
    Just too lazy to join the Yahoo group, QE. Like my EQ and in not time I have a block created and printed. Then have it in my computer and maybe someday I will really feel adventurous and make the teeny tiny ones like JAGSD does! Don't hold your breath though.
    Old 11-27-2011, 11:35 AM
    Power Poster

a-one-a-two-and ...... ♪♪♫lalalalala♫♪♪

I press at every step of the way. I don't know what it is, but I feel the seams flatten out easier with the paper than if I was doing it without. Also, I wonder if the really short stitches I use help? Once the block is done and the paper taken away, I press really really well again, and that's when I add some spray sizing or starch. Andpress til it's dry, all is smooth/flat and I am happy. It's then that I cut the outside fabric edges off and square it. (I always extend the outside pieces beyond the seam line during the PP process).

OKSGlad ... yes, I can see you doing the teeny tiny ones ... even teenier than JAGSD's!
    Old 11-28-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad
    If I had a Hammer--I'd hammer on my seams, I'd hammer on the seam joints all over the quilt!! Sorry couldn't resist. I like using a small tack hammer for flattening seams, Anne. If you have a clapper that works too, but think hammer is more direct.
    Just too lazy to join the Yahoo group, QE. Like my EQ and in not time I have a block created and printed. Then have it in my computer and maybe someday I will really feel adventurous and make the teeny tiny ones like JAGSD does! Don't hold your breath though.
    Ok, I know what a hammer is, I even know what a tack hammer is...but what the heck is a "clapper"?
    Old 11-28-2011, 08:36 AM
    Power Poster

Here's a pic and the blog that shows how to use it

http://juliasewing.blogspot.com/2007/06/clapper.html

It's a notion left over from my garment sewing days!
    Attached Thumbnails 542955149_994d609edb_m.jpg