Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • The FWS Quilt-Along  Week 50  Blocks 99 & 100  Photo Page >
  • The FWS Quilt-Along Week 50 Blocks 99 & 100 Photo Page

• The FWS Quilt-Along Week 50 Blocks 99 & 100 Photo Page

Old 01-16-2012, 10:07 AM
    Power Poster

Thanks Ladies ... It is indeed, kind of nice to cross that 100 line. It just struck me a few minutes ago, that is' ONLY ten to go!! Yes, I knew that, but just hadn't said it that way before!!

Good idea to have a "go to" block
    JanRN!! You mean you don't do D9Ps as your go to? ***ROARS LOUDLY***
    I tend to always be making something new. Guess, I haven't sewn enough yet to get to that state!

The truth is there are so many different ways to put things together ... every block can work for a runner! That's how I did my first sampler (12" blocks). I figured if I got tied of it, then I'd have a pillow .... then a table runner ... wall hanging ... baby quilt! I kept at it and guess what? Had a 110" square bedspread. And used four blocks in another quilt almost as big, with the leftovers patched around it kind of like a trellis. Plus, the leftovers again, then became my avatar quilt ... and then I made a 2nd large lap out of the avatar leftovers. And alas, the end came with two table runners I did before Christmas. Well not quite the last ... I still have two more blocks with borders, that are hand quilted that I'd intended for pillows and decided not. Some day, they may become the centre point for a table topper? or small quilt? or?? who knows! And ... I have two more that are still in the block stage. Too funny, eh? Yes call me NUTS!

P.S. QNonnie ... new siggie? or did I just notice it? Priceless ... it sure brought a chuckle to my face!!! Perfect for the PC threads!!
    Old 01-17-2012, 12:54 PM

Oh yes, new siggie. I had been thinking for awhile trying to come up with something. Then I remembered seeing this on a plaque somewhere. It made me laugh aloud, not only that it describes me perfectly!

I'm doing a sampler quilt also. It's blue and white. Blue is my favorite color and I wanted to have a blue and white quilt. I started it when I was Block of the Month person in my guild. Each month I would pick a block to be sewn. Every person who entered a block got 1 raffle ticket. Then whoever won got the blocks.

So starting then, I made a blue and white quilt block for everyone I picked for the guild. I did that for a year. I made some independently after that. For the last 18 months, I've been part of the board's BOM. You get a partner every month and they have a theme for their blocks. You make them a block and they make one from their theme and you exchange. Now I make one block for trade and make a second one in blue and white. I'm making a queen or king size quilt. I have 24 done and figure about 21 more.

Did you ever post your picture of your avatar here on the board? I'd love to see it up close. If you haven't,. you should now!
    Old 01-17-2012, 05:31 PM
    Power Poster

Oh so pretty QE, The lavender is so soft and a great companion for the block with the swallow block with the kitty in the center. Weathervane is such a classic, too. I wonder how many of these blocks will be referred to and used in other ways. My best quilt books are "block" books to inspire me.
    QN--new signature? Makes me think of "When you come to the end of your rope, tie a know and hang on!"
    Old 01-17-2012, 05:58 PM
    Power Poster

Your blue and white sounds like a nice idea. A long process from start to finish, but oh the stories and memories you'll have from it when it's done! I'm thinking you're using an assortment of blue fabrics? Pretty!!!

My avatar quilt created quite a stir right when I started on the Board, so it was posted in my intro thread! (see Pg 2 for the photo, Pg 10 for the pattern details).

http://www.quiltingboard.com/introdu...a-t112573.html

Here's a pic of it hanging at one of our Fall Fairs this year complete with it's Red/1st Ribbon!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]304097[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails gne2011-010.jpg  
    Old 01-17-2012, 06:14 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad
    Oh so pretty QE, The lavender is so soft and a great companion for the block with the swallow block with the kitty in the center. Weathervane is such a classic, too. I wonder how many of these blocks will be referred to and used in other ways. My best quilt books are "block" books to inspire me.
    QN--new signature? Makes me think of "When you come to the end of your rope, tie a know and hang on!"

Thanks again,
    OKSGlad ... Since done, I'd been wondering if the lavender overpowered the print? and if I should have used a softer lavender, or a stronger print to let the print show out more?

I was thinking the two quotes should be combined ...
    I'm at the end of my rope and can't figure out whether I found a rope? or lost my horse?
    Old 01-17-2012, 06:21 PM
    Power Poster

LOL reading your last post QE and noticed my typo should be "tie a knot and hang on." RE: lavender--just bright enough to draw attention, not overpower IMHO. Lovely shot of your avatar quilt.
    Old 01-17-2012, 06:24 PM
    Power Poster

LOL reading your last post QE and noticed my typo should be "tie a knot and hang on." RE: lavender--just bright enough to draw attention, not overpower IMHO. Lovely shot of your avatar quilt.

Ha! I'd been thinking you'd been into your "stotch" again!
    Doing y/e books, can do that to you!!!

Lavender ... I like that fabric. Kind of has a gold frost over it. I always enjoy seeing my quilts hanging at the Fairs ... not so much for the competition, just to "see" them that way, as I get the distance perspective, that I can't enjoy in my home. Funny enough, the light green behind it, is my Double Rose Trellis quilt!

Last edited by QuiltE; 01-17-2012 at 06:27 PM.
    Old 01-17-2012, 06:41 PM
    Power Poster

You know what's funny about the "stotch". Youngest DS had a great smooth one he shared at Christmas, think he was surprised when "Mom" drank hers straight! Oh it was smooth going down, sorry can't remember the name of it as I'm not a connoisseur of alcoholic beverages, but do like a fine Canadian whiskey!
    Old 01-17-2012, 09:18 PM
    Power Poster

You know what's funny about the "stotch". Youngest DS had a great smooth one he shared at Christmas, think he was surprised when "Mom" drank hers straight! Oh it was smooth going down, sorry can't remember the name of it as I'm not a connoisseur of alcoholic beverages, but do like a fine Canadian whiskey!
    ha! Did you shock DS that you're not a prude!
    Showing your Canadian Patriotism thru and thru!
    Now I'm totally curious, which "fine" Canadian Whiskey is the finest in your parts?
    Old 06-08-2012, 03:01 PM

Here's mine for the week[ATTACH=CONFIG]340735[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails week-50.jpg