Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • Jane Stickle Cyber Block Party, Week 22, LS4, L2, L5, C9, C11 >
  • Jane Stickle Cyber Block Party, Week 22, LS4, L2, L5, C9, C11

• Jane Stickle Cyber Block Party, Week 22, LS4, L2, L5, C9, C11

Old 06-06-2010, 12:06 PM

How did you do your beautiufl snowflakes?
    Old 06-06-2010, 02:20 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
    Jan and Mama...wow, your blocks look fantabulous! Precise, perfect job on all of them! Now I have to work in the tri..which I puzzled over last night...

Did ya'll use use the rotary cutting method..just bravely sewed the curves or what? *whimpers and runs off to the sewing room*
    I did as much as possible PPing, (mostly the top half) then appliqued the rest. Because I have a light background, I trim the pattern to the stitching line, place it on the background, and draw around it with my Sewline pencil. Then I cut out the pattern with the seam allowance, and stitch it in place, needleturning the edges under, following my pencil line. If you aren't very comfortable with doing this, you can tack/bast the applique piece in place first, keeping your stitches about a quarter in inside the pencil line, to leave room for the turnings that you are going to tuck under with your needle. Go for it Patti, I expect that's what you have been doing anyway, and it must be getting a bit easier by now?

Another possible way is to cut your pattern on the sewing line, on freezer paper. Place freezer paper dull side next to wrong side of fabric, and iron the turnings over the edge of the freezer paper onto the shiny side. Turn the whole lot over and sew onto background. You then have to slash the background behind your appliqued shape in order to remove the paper. You can trim away the background a quarter inch inside your stitches to cut down on bulk, or you can just loosly whip the cut edges closed.
    Old 06-06-2010, 02:25 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilterwanabe7
    How did you do your beautiufl snowflakes?
    Did you mean me? I cut them out of folded paper, just like you do as a kid at school when you stick them to windows at Christmas time. Then hand appliqued them, needleturning them, just as I have described above. Each one is on a 12in block, and I was averaging one a week - there are 42 of them in my quilt, and yards of icicles for a border. Here's the whole thing.

Cold Comfort
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]80442[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-80437.jpe  
    Old 06-06-2010, 02:30 PM

It is awesome
    Old 06-06-2010, 04:37 PM
    Power Poster

Yep..yep...thats what I ended up doing Lesley..appliqueing the bottom sections. I should finish the little buggers tonight so I can hopefully post them maybe tomorrow.

AND...thats the 1st time I've seen the whole snowflake quilt :shock: :shock: It is gorgeous! I love your border and the background changes colors??? or is that the flash? Either way..your avatar does NOT do it justice!! :lol: I've changed my mind...I'll take that one and you can keep Jane.. :mrgreen:
    Old 06-07-2010, 12:05 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
    Yep..yep...thats what I ended up doing Lesley..appliqueing the bottom sections. I should finish the little buggers tonight so I can hopefully post them maybe tomorrow.

AND...thats the 1st time I've seen the whole snowflake quilt :shock: :shock: It is gorgeous! I love your border and the background changes colors??? or is that the flash? Either way..your avatar does NOT do it justice!! :lol: I've changed my mind...I'll take that one and you can keep Jane.. :mrgreen:
    LOL Patti, no chance, there is a huge amount of emotion in every stitch of that quilt - I had done about half of it when my DH turned out not to be so D and left me for a much younger woman. I eventually managed to continue making the blocks, and get it finished - I thought my name for the quilt reflected some of what I had been through. I called it Cold Comfort. (No, the background is even, it is the flash that has distorted the colour). Sorry everyone, this post really isn't the right place for this thread, I seem to get distracted, please forgive me.
    Old 06-07-2010, 04:51 AM
    Power Poster

I read that "between the lines" Lesley...that was your "therapy quilt"... :wink:
    Old 06-07-2010, 05:55 AM

OMG Leslie, that is stunning!!!!! Did you happen to keep the patterns you made and if so, would you sell them? I would love to have a quilt like that. I'm drooling with envy over here. And I'm sorry about the H (no D!). I'm glad you found comfort in quilting.

Okay, I must confess that I am sick of Y-seams already. :evil: I can do them but I'm not a fan and the more I have to do (and redo) the less I like them. I actually didn't mind them when I first started.
    Old 06-07-2010, 10:25 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tiffany
    OMG Leslie, that is stunning!!!!! Did you happen to keep the patterns you made and if so, would you sell them? I would love to have a quilt like that. I'm drooling with envy over here. And I'm sorry about the H (no D!). I'm glad you found comfort in quilting.

Okay, I must confess that I am sick of Y-seams already. :evil: I can do them but I'm not a fan and the more I have to do (and redo) the less I like them. I actually didn't mind them when I first started.
    I'm really sorry - no I never thought to keep the patterns, I wasn't ever intending to make another one, and it never occurred to me that anyone else would be as daft as me! When I get a couple of spare hours, perhaps I'll try and do a tute on how to design your own. Sorry, best I can do, but thank you for asking.
    Old 06-07-2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Originally Posted by Tiffany

I'm really sorry - no I never thought to keep the patterns, I wasn't ever intending to make another one, and it never occurred to me that anyone else would be as daft as me! When I get a couple of spare hours, perhaps I'll try and do a tute on how to design your own. Sorry, best I can do, but thank you for asking.
    A tute would be most welcome, and I bet by plenty more people then just me. Thank you for even considering it!

Edit: Hmmm, you know, you could just send the quilt to me and I will make a draft of each snowflake. I promise to send the quilt back. Honest. ;) ;)