Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • Jane Stickle Cyber Sew - Week 4 - H4, F7, H3, A9, LS10 >
  • Jane Stickle Cyber Sew - Week 4 - H4, F7, H3, A9, LS10

• Jane Stickle Cyber Sew - Week 4 - H4, F7, H3, A9, LS10

Old 01-20-2010, 04:20 PM

lesley, since you're done...do you have any tips that may help the other 'piecers' put theirs together. I know some of the parts on the triangle are a bit daunting...We'd really love your help!
    Old 01-20-2010, 04:30 PM

lesley those are beautiful
    Old 01-20-2010, 04:31 PM
    Power Poster

Thank you for the nice comments. I did a small tute on inset seams, with the triangle in mind, that might help, and Abbey's eye is similar, though I had a couple of little wrinkles at the corners of the eye. I find that judicious use of a steam iron gets rid of most of them. I haven't starched any of my fabrics before using them, so I don't know how these inset seams would work with very starched fabric - you might want to try a small sample from scraps before you use your good fabric.

With Abbey's eye, I put the iris of the eye into the middle of the two background pieces, using the inset seams technique, then added the outside sections using the Y seams technique that Cutie did a tute on. Basically it's the same as the inset seam one, but instead of snipping into the corner to get around it, you just undo a few of the stitches of the seam so that it will open up for you. When you get to the middle, put your needle down, and fold as much of the bulk out of the way so that you can pull both pieces of fabric into line and stitch them. Hope that helps.
    Old 01-20-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Thank you for the nice comments. I did a small tute on inset seams, with the triangle in mind, that might help, and Abbey's eye is similar, though I had a couple of little wrinkles at the corners of the eye. I find that judicious use of a steam iron gets rid of most of them. I haven't starched any of my fabrics before using them, so I don't know how these inset seams would work with very starched fabric - you might want to try a small sample from scraps before you use your good fabric.
    The link for the tutorial on inset seams is:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-34097-1.htm

Thanks for the comment about starch too.... I usually starch the snot outta my fabric, so might have problems with that. I still haven't managed a practice run yet! *sigh* ;-)
    Old 01-20-2010, 04:44 PM

Thanks for the info Lesley and Blue. I'm going to work on putting more help on this thread when I get home from work tonight (if ever...)

Lesley, I forgot to say that your blocks are STUNNING!! I told you that in your PDA, but missed it here!!! You amaze me.
    Old 01-20-2010, 04:53 PM
    Power Poster

Thanks Esq. you are very kind. For everyone else, I have just finished week 9 in blocks, because I am having a ball doing them. I posted pics of the last three on my PDA this afternoon, if you want a preview, otherwise, I will be posting on these threads when they come up.

I will say here too, that I found the next triangle (Week 5) much harder than the following week (6) so if I can make a suggestion, try the week 6 one first, to get a bit experience in these inset/Y seams before you tackle the week 5 one.
    Old 01-20-2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Thanks Esq. you are very kind. For everyone else, I have just finished week 9 in blocks, because I am having a ball doing them. I posted pics of the last three on my PDA this afternoon, if you want a preview, otherwise, I will be posting on these threads when they come up.

I will say here too, that I found the next triangle (Week 5) much harder than the following week (6) so if I can make a suggestion, try the week 6 one first, to get a bit experience in these inset/Y seams before you tackle the week 5 one.
    week NINE?!?!? You're my hero! :thumbup:

They are addictive aren't they. We're going away this weekend, no sewing for me for three days. I don't know how I'll cope! :-(
    Old 01-20-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
    Thanks for the info Lesley and Blue. I'm going to work on putting more help on this thread when I get home from work tonight (if ever...)
    Don't you start stressing, we need you in one piece, not burned out! ;-)

I figure with the various time zones there's pretty much always going to be someone online that can help. The only real slow time I notice is about 3am-4am board time which is about midnight-ish here.
    Old 01-20-2010, 06:09 PM

for those who have the software H4 abbey's eye variation block 2 can be paper pieced
    Old 01-20-2010, 07:31 PM

Here are Week 4 blocks and triangle: H4, F7, H3, A9 and LS10.

All five.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]64348[/ATTACH]

Four blocks.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]64349[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-64343.jpe   attachment-64344.jpe