Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • Jane Stickle Cyber Sew - Weeks 8-13 >
  • Jane Stickle Cyber Sew - Weeks 8-13

• Jane Stickle Cyber Sew - Weeks 8-13

Old 04-18-2010, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
    BFW....we cannot share the patterns from Brenda's book as they are all copyrighted. We are being very careful on all of the Jane threads not to violate any copyright policies or even the "spirit" of the copyright as Admin is very concerned about that on the board. (As well they should be)...If you are sharing anything...please don't do so in the Jane threads, we don't want to be "shut down".....not trying to be bossy or anything...but....
    btw, can you explain the copyright thingy on those blocks? i always thought that if the blocks were old they were in the public domain. these are old traditional blocks, so how can they be owned by one person.?
    Old 04-18-2010, 04:15 PM
    Power Poster

BFW...if you have questions about the copyright issues with the Dear Jane..please ask Patrice to explain it to you.. Admin has asked us not to post pics of the actual patterns on the thread or to encourage sharing of the patterns...so thats what I'm trying to abide by. Please feel free to ask them about it. Somewhere on the Dear Jane Cyber Party thread there is a blurb from Patrice about it...but I don't know what page its on.
    Old 04-18-2010, 04:53 PM

thanks. i'm not trying to cause problems. i'm trying to figure it out. i'll ask.
    Old 04-18-2010, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
    thanks. i'm not trying to cause problems. i'm trying to figure it out. i'll ask.
    It's just one of those things. Brenda Papadakis was able to trademark and copyright her interpretation and has been protective enough to enforce it. The quilt itself is not copyrighted, just her patterns, the name "Dear Jane", the software she created etc. You'll notice that when anyone uses the term "Dear Jane" there is usually language acknowledging it's being used with her permission, etc. She has been able to do what many have not - market and own it, but not the actual quilt.

If you have any patterns or anything, you can betchyur bottom dollar it doesn't say Dear Jane unless it's done with permission!
    Old 04-19-2010, 05:37 AM

the one posted in sentimental stitches is called "That Quilt". :lol:
    Old 04-19-2010, 08:13 AM
    Power Poster

Yeah...thats what we are saying...
    Old 04-19-2010, 12:22 PM

i get that part. different name. no mention of jane there.

however, the blocks are the blocks, no? so, the question is, can one openly offer the blocks from 'that quilt' on an open forum, knowing that everyone knows what 'that quilt' really is? or, even more obtusely, can i offer blocks 1 - 89 without even saying what they're for?

if no true name is mentioned, as in 'jane stickle cyber sew' is the copyright still in effect?
    Old 04-19-2010, 03:34 PM
    Power Poster

For this board's purposes....I'd have to refer you to Patrice or Admin to answer that question...
    Old 04-20-2010, 12:20 AM
    Administrator

"that quilt" at Sentimental Stitches is not Jane Stickle's quilt. it's a similar quilt made during the depression.

"Dear Jane" is a registered trademark serving as an umbrella over a number of copyrighted and or licensed products related to reproduction of the Jane Stickle quilt.

if you look at the Stickle quilt, draw your own renditions of the blocks and write your own instructions you are not doing anything different to the art student replicating a DaVinci.

if you start with a photgraph from a copyright protected book or other medim related to the Stickle quilt for example (the legally protected product is the root and source of your work) and then try to claim any resulting products as your own i would not want to be your lawyer. too "iffy" for me.

the Dear Jane software is the only computer program i know of that generates printable patterns for Stickle quilt blocks. therefore, we should not share printouts with each other that came from that software. we should not share photocopied block diagrams from any source.

this is not a complicated issue. if you want to share, then make sure you base your work on a block or quilt in the public domain. draw the diagrams yourself from scratch. write the instructions yourself, in your own words, from scratch. take your own photos of your own work, from scratch. otherwise, either recommend a source for others to buy them or a place they can find legal resources for free.
    Old 04-20-2010, 05:07 AM
    Power Poster

Thanks for jumping in here Patrice....hope that clears it up for you BFW...