Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along >
  • The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

• The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

Old 07-12-2015, 04:13 PM

Okay, if you look at #33 The Farmer's Wife you'll the triangle in the outside sections going a specific way..the pattern is printed the way it looks in the picture & the diagramed block..now it you place the fabric on the backside of the printed section the way we normally do and sew it the way it's shown the points don't go the way it's shown...so with this block I would print it out then copy the 4 sections using the mirror image...the rest of the block is fine...

I'm going to go thru the blocks to see which ones need to be mirror imaged...most printers have this feature..that is unless it's as old as we are...

Cooky, we'll all watch out for anymore boo boo's.. right?

I think it's mostly the blocks that are directional and have points not matching each other like in # 33..There might be a flower in the right corner and after you piece it it's in the left corner...

Last edited by Honchey; 07-12-2015 at 04:16 PM.
    Old 07-13-2015, 04:26 AM

I checked my printer and my Adobe Acrobat and don't have a way to automatically mirror the files. On #33 I think it will be easy enough to manually reverse the 4 triangles. I was able to put a sticky note on that file in Acrobat so I don't miss it when I print it out. I also went ahead and put a sticky note on the piecing of #3 that Honchey alerted us to earlier. Those digital sticky notes sure are handy!
    Old 07-13-2015, 04:46 AM

Honchey, would you mind creating a post listing all the errors when you have a moment? I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and out of sorts with the errors...

By the way, I did some more fpp practice this weekend, I think it's getting better! Now I've gotta start working on those smaller blocks!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]525018[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails swap_zpsvdbrgoxc.jpg  
    Old 07-13-2015, 05:09 AM

Hi Don't stress about the "errors"...so far out of 99 blocks there really are't many at all!!

The mirrored images aren't hard fixes and I usually just make the block as the paper goes even if it doesn't match the block in the book exactly.
    Old 07-13-2015, 05:22 AM

Huskyquilter your practice block is perfect..I wouldn't worry about doing the blocks with little pieces.

Cooky, have you gone into the printer settings/options and looked there..the term may be "reverse" not "mirror.

I found that # 12 Becky has to be sewn together differently in order to have the placement the same as the book. I will post a photo later today to show all of you...
    Old 07-13-2015, 05:30 AM

Thanks Honchey! I realized that removing the paper seam allowance seems to help me a lot. I makes matching the sections easier.
    Old 07-13-2015, 05:48 AM

an easy way of mirror imaging just a couple of pieces in a block would be to : without thread stitch the sewing lines then just place the fabric on the side that has the printed matter on it, then sew the pieces with the unmarked side facing you..just follow the holes that the needle made..
    Old 07-13-2015, 06:05 AM

Husky, your block looks perfect to me! I think you're saying you used Honchey's tip of not sewing into the seam allowance; is that right?

Honchey, I looked everywhere but will try my printer settings again. Thanks!
    Old 07-13-2015, 06:08 AM

Oh my gosh; there it was under "Orientation". I swear I looked there before; must have just skipped over it. Thanks for the push to look again, Honchey! (See, there's a reason you're the leader of our group -- or as Barney would say to Andy, "That's why you're the Sheriff"!)
    Old 07-13-2015, 06:33 AM

when mirroring a block it may be that all the pieces don't have to be changed...I would print out the block as is and then copy the sections reversing them only..If you've never done it before it can be confusing..don't ask me why