Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along >
  • The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

• The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

Old 07-23-2015, 03:24 AM

Just in case someone is interested in a BOM. Quilting by the Bay out of Panama City, FL sent an email offering this quilt as one. I may have to make a road trip for fabrics.
    Old 07-23-2015, 03:34 AM

Yes! Thank you! That is most helpful. Now will you use that paper pattern after folding it like that? I am going to practice some paper piecing this weekend. I have been printing the blocks and assembling the binder. I ordered some fabric online that hasn't been delivered yet so the cutting will have to wait another day or two. Thanks for the photos. I am a visual learner for sure.
    Old 07-23-2015, 04:06 AM

Yes , I use the same paper...I don't use copy paper, I find it too stiff for me..I use the doodle pads from Dollar tree..
    Pam, get some scraps and practice NOW..even if it's simple muslin..don't wait until you get the fabric you're going to use...
    Old 07-23-2015, 04:15 AM

Honchey, a quick question please. It's been drilled into me to be conscious of bias, but I always wondered how critical it is with PP since everything is secured to the paper until joined together into the finished piece. It doesn't look like you're overly concerned about it. Can I lighten up the quilt police in my head when it comes to bias and PP?

And I do know you've starched your fabrics and I do too.

Last edited by CookyIN; 07-23-2015 at 04:16 AM. Reason: add info
    Old 07-23-2015, 04:29 AM

Cooky, When I look at the pattern pieces I'm careful of how the edges of the pieces will be...I will always try to make it so the bias pieces are on the inside seams...and I like to have the straight of grain in all the sections..I won't use a crosswise piece of fabric on the edge if possible.....every person will do what's comfortable for them..The only way I would use a piece of fabric on the bias in a square would be if it's on the inside and it was the last piece of fabric I had n hand for that block..fortunately that has never happened

If your looking at the I/2 square triangle shown in the photo, the bias on the long side cannot be avoided and it is an inside seam..the right angle of the triangle is on an outside corner where it would not pull out of place after being sewn..

Last edited by Honchey; 07-23-2015 at 04:34 AM.
    Old 07-23-2015, 04:35 AM

Thanks, Honchey!
    Old 07-23-2015, 05:56 AM

I will Honchey thanks. I should have said that better. I am going to practice with what I have here. I am just waiting on the other fabric to start cutting. Your posts are so helpful.
    Old 07-23-2015, 07:52 AM

Hello all, Toverly mentioned in an above post that Quilting By The Bay is offering this as a BOM. What I found interesting is that they recommend Marti Mitchell's Perfect Templates (sets A, B, C, D, M, and S). Also they have the 2 new itty bitty rulers listed. Any comments about using these? Maybe when this begins, their use will become clear......
    Looking forward to the big day!
    Old 07-23-2015, 10:32 AM

Ok, this is going to show you all how new I am to this. Even though I read all the postings including the ones about printing the blocks in the correct size, I still managed to waste almost a whole pack of foundation paper printing in the wrong size. I thought I checked it and had it right the first time but something made me take another look at it and cut out a pattern, tape it together and measure it again. Of course it was off 1/4 inch. I reset the settings on the printer and managed to do it right but not after I wasted a LOT of paper printing blocks A-G. GEEZ. It's probably a good thing I am a fairly calm person because this would be a lot worse if I weren't. So I am going to stop at Dollar Tree and get the doodle pad and TRY AGAIN ; )
    Old 07-23-2015, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by sweet
    Hello all, Toverly mentioned in an above post that Quilting By The Bay is offering this as a BOM. What I found interesting is that they recommend Marti Mitchell's Perfect Templates (sets A, B, C, D, M, and S). Also they have the 2 new itty bitty rulers listed. Any comments about using these? Maybe when this begins, their use will become clear......
    Looking forward to the big day!
    I think the Marti Michell templates are for a different book. The Farmer's Wife Sampler.