Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along >
  • The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

• The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

Old 07-25-2015, 07:51 AM

I haven't kept count, but it is a nice size group...I hope people follow through to the end with us.
    Old 07-25-2015, 08:33 AM

I'm not using 30s fabrics; I'm using batik scraps left over from the 50 Fab PP Star quilt we did last year. I won't be able to sew much in August (remodeling projects) so I made the first few blocks. I'm having trouble with the batiks because there are no small prints, most of mine are large swirly patterns and aren't translating well to these blocks. I may have to rethink and maybe redo them in the scraps from FWS and PC. I'll do a few more and then decide.
    Old 07-25-2015, 07:20 PM

OK, so I know this isn't a pretty choice of fabric (using random scraps) BUT this is the first time EVER paper piecing and although some of the points don't quite meet, I was pleased with the outcome overall. It lets me know with more practice, which I will continue, I CAN DO THIS. Yay! This is the block 'Coral' which I thought was safe for me to start practicing with. One question I have is how are the seam allowances pressed, open or to one side? Had a little trouble with those...maybe with more practice will figure it out. Please feel free to provide feedback, I need all the help I can get : )
    Attached Thumbnails coral-3.jpg  
    Old 07-25-2015, 07:45 PM

This turned out great for a first attempt.. The 1/2 square triangle on the right side is off..the seam is probably too deep. you made sure the edge point is there but the intersection where the bright colors meet is off..take the bottom section off to the center of the block and re-adjust the seam to the outside edge, when looking at the block you can see where the bottom row pulls up..the seam is too big there..If it were me I would redo that 1/2 square triangle too..you can see the bright triangle is much smaller than the one on the opposite side...This is a practice block and trying to get it right is a good lesson now ..I hope you don't think I'm being too critical.. I want you to do well and these little things can be the difference between a good block and a great block...
    Old 07-25-2015, 08:03 PM

Thank you Honchey! I would never think you were critical. I need real advice and that's what I see this as. I see what you are saying and I appreciate that you can tell me how to fix it. I will try to make the adjustments to this block and repost, maybe tomorrow if I can get it done. Have a good night!
    Old 07-25-2015, 08:20 PM

Pam, are you using a 1/4" presser foot? if not have you thought about getting one with a guide/flange... having any type of a guide either on the machine bed itself or a foot is very helpful...I would be lost without one..
    Old 07-25-2015, 08:20 PM

Great job for a first try Pam! I'm impressed that you have the 1/4" between the points and edge of block. I sometimes have problems with those.
    Old 07-25-2015, 08:33 PM

Honchey, I am using the open toe foot. I think I have one that has the guide on it, I will try that one.

Thanks JeanieG, I wish I could say that I know how I did it but I can't haha.
    Old 07-25-2015, 08:43 PM

Use the open toe when sewing the fabric to the paper.and then use the foot with the guide when joining the sections to each other..make sure the fabric & paper is trimmed to the dotted line and your intersections & points are pinned until you get to where the needle pierces that part of the fabric then remove the pin..don't sew over the pin..Long thin pins are best for this part...fat/thick pins are harder to push thru the fabric and may shift it in the process..

Carriem starts her section sewing in the middle going to the outside..I've done that to..sometimes when you start sewing it might shift one side & then the whole seam is off...

Last edited by Honchey; 07-25-2015 at 08:46 PM.
    Old 07-25-2015, 08:52 PM

Honchey can you show the presser foot ur talking about, please, I have one but don't think it has a guide/flange on it like u talk about.

Originally Posted by Honchey
    Pam, are you using a 1/4" presser foot? if not have you thought about getting one with a guide/flange... having any type of a guide either on the machine bed itself or a foot is very helpful...I would be lost without one..