Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along >
  • The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

• The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

Old 08-02-2015, 07:07 PM

It's taken me two hours just to piece and sew my first two sections on the first block. Whew! The good news is that the finished piece is the correct size; so far so good.

Texastam, I realized before beginning that it would be a challenge to keep the color placement straight. So I got some highlighter pens in multi colors. For each block I chose a pen color for each fabric used. On the small block we printed out that shows the letter/number for each piece, I put a dab of highlighter for the fabric used on each piece of the block. I need that visual aid!
    Old 08-02-2015, 07:57 PM

Cooky = I do the same thing with color pencils. I also color code the paper piecing paper for which color goes in each spot.
    Old 08-03-2015, 03:31 AM

Jeanie, I wondered about color coding the actual foundations but wasn't sure about the color transferring to the fabrics when pressed. Good to know that color pencils will work.

I realized this morning that a lot of my time spent last night was getting my machine set up, adjusting tension, lining up directional fabrics, etc. Today should go much better!
    Old 08-03-2015, 04:23 AM

Ready to do number 6; wanted to work ahead to get a longer window to finish other WIP before totally doing the PW1930. Pony Club is hanging on my vertical wall, finally finished the borders, need to take a picture and post it sometime soon.

Very excited about seeing 'eye candy' tomorrow as the blocks are posted for FW1930s. I too use colored pencils on the pp, but have been known to change the lights, mediums and dark fabric placement....or change the colors all together for what I have in my stash.
    Old 08-03-2015, 07:34 AM

Please use the Crayola pencils if your concerned about any transfer..Never had a problem with them...crayons are made of wax and will melt with heat so you may end up with color on your ironing board..
    I color every piece of paper before I cut them from the sheet from the printer..It can be very confusing otherwise.

Cooky, there have been times it took me a whole day & evening to get one block done..for one reason or another you just need patience..ripping & redoing is part of the learning process..we have all gone thru it.

Blocks don't have to be finished on the day the new thread is posted..This is supposed to be an enjoyable venture, learning new techniques, socializing with other quilters that are more than happy to help you.

How about those of you having difficulty post it here so we can answer you..
    If you want a one on one via the phone PM me for my #.
    Old 08-03-2015, 08:32 AM

I don't mark my patterns with colors. I just write "B" for blue, or "Y" for yellow, or "P" for print, etc. Then I keep the book open to the page of the block I'm working on nearby to doublecheck if I need to.
    Old 08-03-2015, 08:39 AM

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Honchey! Luckily (knock wood) I haven't had to rip yet. I find that I do need to stay focused on what I'm doing, as it would be very easy to make a mistake. I guess that's called Quilt Zen! Things are going much faster today, and I should have my first block to post tomorrow. The second block will probably not be done til later in the week.
    Old 08-03-2015, 09:37 AM

Katybob, that's probably what I will do too. I don't think I have time to color the blocks (although I will make the time if I need to considering I didn't even notice I messed up my practice block). I won't have a block ready for tomorrow I don't think but by the weekend I should have something to show.
    Old 08-03-2015, 09:41 AM

Take your time Cooky - we have a full week before the next blocks are due. And it really does not matter when you get them done. We all get behind once in a while (more than once in a while!). Just enjoying the process and seeing those blocks add up are so worthwhile!

Pam - I don't "color" the whole block - I just make a squiggle of the color on each piece and on the PP paper. It does not take much time at all.

Last edited by JeanieG; 08-03-2015 at 09:43 AM.
    Old 08-03-2015, 09:59 AM

I don't know about the rest of you..I love to color the blocks brings me back to my childhood