Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along >
  • The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

• The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

Old 06-25-2015, 05:59 PM

Me, too, Cooky -- I can't imagine sewing those tiny pieces together without paper!
    Old 06-26-2015, 05:29 AM

Ninasue, thank you so much for sharing! What a perfect way to keep them all organized, especially the completed blocks. I was wondering how I would keep track of them and keep them in good (not full of husky fur ) condition for an entire year. My office building is right above a Staples, so I'm going to run down and get my notebook and plastic sheets this morning to get my notebook setup and ready to go. Good thing I saved everything from the CD on my computer! My bosses are all on vacation, and I'm caught up on work so I can spend my time how I want today. I even brought my rotary cutter and a small ruler and mat to trim some hsts I'm doing for another quilt... But the notebook sounds like more fun! Ha!
    Old 06-26-2015, 07:24 AM

You are welcome, huskyquilter. I use the 'slant D' notebook with three or four inch spine or you could go with two smaller notebooks. And pick the cement glue, light cardboard, and colored pencils, too. Elmer glue sticks. In pp, the glue 'holds' the fabric in place and it saves ripping out the pp seams. Cement glue the templates on the cardboard, coloring them with the colored pencils and cut out as needed. If you pp, color those pieces with the colored pencils as well....it saves ripping out the wrong piece in the wrong place....and you can ask me why I know this...LOL!

Its raining, and raining, and raining here. Flooding everywhere....we live on top a the hills here, so we are safe, but many are at risk in the whole area from Des Moines, Iowa to St. Louis, Mo. I am trying to picture living with a Husky in NYC....seen so many of them in Alaska....big dogs. Our house cat, Mega, gives us enough entertainment to keep us smiling. QNS.
    Old 06-26-2015, 04:58 PM

Hi Everyone, All of you are busy as bees...I just got done printing blocks 16 thru 99 and wouldn't you know the paper ran out at # 99 then when I put more paper in the printer jammed with wrinkled paper .. I wanted to print them here in NC..The printer back home home prints 1/16th shy on the vertical..it took me 2 quilt alongs to figure that out .. I'll be cutting them up in the car on the way home this coming Sunday..There will be confetti all over the inside of the car..
    It has been so hot & humid I'm glad to be going home to NJ.. I feel so bad for all of you in the Midwest..All that rain & flooding and some of you with no electric...!!!!

Nina, Do you print out every page of each block??? I'm done with the printing of all the foundation nothing else..

Off to the packing of more stuff to take back home..at least I'm not transporting any more machines...
    Have a good weekend everyone..see ya in a couple of days...unless... I get the packing done by tomorrow afternoon
    Old 06-26-2015, 07:15 PM

Honchey, I printed each of the 99 blocks three ways: blank block, templates, and paper piecing patterns. I am slowly cutting the templates out of the paper and rubber cement gluing them to light cardboard. I am coloring the template 'model' block, and the individual pieces of each one. I have found if I use the template to cut the fabric for that piece, it fits into the pp block just perfect, with no waste. And then I use stick glue the piece of fabric to the pp paper after I stitch it so it goes into the proper place. I have punched a small hole where the lines cross in the seam allowance, so I know where to sew each seam of the block. I draw the lines on the back of the pp pattern, so I know the line to sew on without having to guess if I have all the edges in their proper places...goes quicker for me that way with one eye. Yes, its a mirror image of original block, but in most cases that is Ok. If it isn't, I can put the fabric on the wrong side and sew it on the right side like most pp do. Almost a third of the way....to block 33, of rubber cementing templates to the light cardboard.

I do that on days like today, when I am not feeling real chipper, and my eyes are not at their best in seeing.

Good news is that our flooding here has gone down; so has the Raccoon River in DM. So four of us are going to DM next Tuesday, on the last day of their All Iowa Shop Hop...and it will be fun...fun....fun day for each of us. Not a single worry if we have any money or purchase anything, just out for a good time for all. Have a good trip home, Honchey.
    Old 06-27-2015, 08:05 AM

Carriem and katybob, thanks for the info on the solid colors. I will check out the names of the shops you have posted. I am trying to remember how I did the Farmer's Wife's, (not finished) I printed a picture of the block as shown in the book, then printed the block, templates and PP patterns. All of this I inserted in a plastic sheet protector and put into a binder. Then I would cut my fabric and put that in the sheet protector with pattern etc. When the block was finished I put that into the front of the picture of the block. Hope this makes sense. At lest it worked for me.
    Old 06-27-2015, 12:44 PM

Just curious, it is The Farmer's Wife 1930's Sampler Quilt book by Laurie Hird? Or is there another one. Several have mentioned having the old book. Could someone post a photo of the one we will be using?
    Old 06-27-2015, 12:58 PM

Yes M'am, Here it is....
    Attached Thumbnails untitled.png  
    Old 06-27-2015, 02:03 PM

Thank you so much Honchey. I was worried since I purchased mine on sale online that there was a second book out somewhere that I didn't have. I have this one, so I am definitely in. Again. Now for printing, I'm definitely going to paperpiece this one.
    Old 06-27-2015, 02:11 PM

Toverly, this is the 3rd book that Laurie has written. This group has done the first two already - The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt and The Farmer's Wife Pony Club Quilt. So glad that there are so many joining us on this quilt.