Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   [DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/%5Bdear%5D-jane-stickle-cyber-block-party-jan-2010-thru-may-jun-2011-a-t28063.html)

sandpat 02-16-2010 06:05 AM

I'll try that and see if it will work. I think all the units are just fine...it happens when I am sewing the "units" together. GRRRR!

Sheree from Chicago 02-16-2010 10:27 AM

The same thing is happening to me with these little blocks. If the problem continues, I may sew the units together by hand. It just doesn't make sense if everything in "right on the money" that they somehow get kicked out of line. I share your frustration!

cheriffic 02-16-2010 02:47 PM

are you pinning? I have to pin pin pin. Make sure the pins go exactly thru the otherside to the exact placement. These tiny blocks also seem easier to line up if you press open those seams. Get the bulk out and pin. Hope that helps Cher

sandpat 02-16-2010 04:35 PM

OK..I've tried pinning straight down through matching points, then pinning vertically on each side of the pin (holding it straight while I pin on each side of it), and I've tried pinning horizontally along the line on the paper...somebody PLEASE tell me the secret to getting these buggers straight! I rarely have the problem with the blocks (well..maybe just a couple of them)..its mostly the tris....

Sheree from Chicago 02-16-2010 07:07 PM

Hi Cher! I haven't seen you smiling face for a while! I do pin. I was pinning like crazy but I think it adds to the bulk going through the machine/needle. Now I'm only pinning critical points. As you've seen in some of my other quilt pics, I've done some intense paper piecing projects. I've been trimming to 1/8 instead of 1/4, so pressing seams open isn't an option for me. Plus I did try that and it seems to make the seams wanna loosen up.

Janstar 02-16-2010 08:10 PM

Patti, I don't seem to have much trouble with the blocks either, it's just the tris! I made BR3 today and when I put the ruler on it , it was crooked! I did everything you and everyone else has mentioned. I guess we are stuck with 'crooked'! I'm with you, I'm using it anyway!!!LOL!!

Sheree from Chicago 02-17-2010 12:59 AM

I agree Janstar. I am doing my best, If they are not perfect, I tell myself Janes probably weren't either. So, I am learning as I go, enjoying everyones friendship and creativity and moving forward, eager to start each new block. It's all about enjoying the journey! Hugs, Sheree

sarahelloyd 02-17-2010 04:59 AM

Hi, for what it's worth - I find that pinning through the points vertically holds the pieces in place temporarily, but then holding the pieces in place I use a very fine long quilters pin and pin about 1" away in line with the seam. If the pin is any closer it puts tension on the seam and it wobbles. I keep trying to think of something like a hair grip/money clip that would just slide over the edges which might be better. ps I don't take the vertical pins out until the seam area is relaxed if you see what i mean. hope this helps.

sandpat 02-17-2010 05:37 AM

Hmmmm....sarah, that makes me think...OUCH....! OK..better now..I think I'm gonna try sticking the critical seam together with my glue pen...maybe....otherwise..I think I'm just going to be stuck trying to straighten them when I sew them together for the outer border on the quilt...live with the crookeds and smile...daring anyone to say anything about them :wink:

Esqmommy 02-17-2010 06:22 AM

GLUE, by George, I think you've got it!! Try gluing. I often use glue sticks (less messy, and they don't damage the fabric) for my paper piecing to hold the original first piece down to the paper. Why not for the seam???!! You can also press it after you glue to seal the deal so to speak! Try it on the next one and let us know, okay!